Okay. What is the deal with CSTV and Charter

Linda Bruno did a lot of patting of herself on the back because the CSTV deal is a more lucrative deal than the A-10 TV deal that preceded it. To recoup some of those expenses, CSTV is charging the cable affiliates in various markets more than what they had to pay to carry A-10 games before and of course they are resisting. Why should they pay more to carry the games for a bunch of NIT teams that most of their customer base doesn't watch?

Bruno lauded the short term benefits of the deal (more money for the conference) without looking at the negatives (most affiliates would just opt out instead of paying the higher price tag). I think we will get on local TV when CSTV finally realizes that they are going to take a rancid shower on this deal. Whether that is in time to get our games on this season without fans being forced to switch to Dish, who can say.

But do the CSTV games replace the locally-produced Charter broadcasts or just the A10 network games? Apparently XU is still being broadcast on Fox Sports in Cincy, so I would guess that we'll still be covered by Charter, right?

We only appeared on the A10 network 2-3 times last year, and each time Charter picked up the broadcast for us.

"But do the CSTV games replace the locally-produced Charter broadcasts or just the A10 network games? Apparently XU is still being broadcast on Fox Sports in Cincy, so I would guess that we'll still be covered by Charter, right?"

Which games will actually be covered by Charter is still up in the air per the SLU Sports Information Department.

it is my understanding that charter has to bargain with cstv to show any games. if they come to no agreement cstv has a satellite station and i guess they could argue that suffices for filling their obligation to the st louis market. talk about sucking.

linda bruno has to go. she makes mistake after mistake.

you are right there. and the fact that the schools continue to support her shows that a majority still have their heads in the sand.

"Roy, Bruno might be a bad commissioner but the schools had to approve the TV package. If it was such a bad deal then why did they vote for it?"

Most likely because she assured them something like this wouldn't happen. In fact, she's still doing it:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs...377/1002/SPORTS

Excerpt:

A-10 commissioner Linda Bruno wouldn't comment on the negotiations, but said she has confidence in CSTV.

"We trust CSTV is going to work with us to make sure we're not damaged in any way with our television appearances," Bruno said.

here is the body of an reply e-mail i received from linda bruno today. it doesnt sound good for billiken basketball on tv in st louis.:

"You are correct that local broadcasts must be negotiated through CSTV. St.Louis has been a difficult market, since Charter, which has carried SLU games in past years, indicated at the end of their contract last year, that they no longer have interest in carrying those games. Since SLU was paying some production money to Charter to carry the games, this was a surprising decision.

CSTV has been trying to convince Charter to renew their relationship, but Charter continues to say they are not interested. SLU would most likely have been in this same position without CSTV’s presence, since Charter did not wish to continue the relationship. Everyone at SLU has been very cooperative with CSTV, and they continue to look for another option. I am hopeful we can find one, as tv is extremely important.

Thanks."

http://www.lasalle-explorers.com/

Linda Bruno: Comcast can have the games, but they do not want to have to pay to carry them. Quite honestly, they have been a little bit spoiled because they were receiving A10 TV games that were already produced for them (the rights fee they paid the conference did not cover our costs) and then they were able to take some of the unselected inventory from our 3 local schools for free. This is not a matter of us withholding the games from Comcast, but it is the cost of doing business.

Expmod: How will this matter with CSTV be resolved?

Linda Bruno: Comcast has been a good partner for us, and has been important to our profile not only in Philly, but in many other of our cities. CSTV continues to work with them, and has also begun to pursue other options. Hang in there with us.

I don't know if it is any connection, but the Bills just hired a guy, Eric Luchetti, to be a manager of event operations, whatever that is. This guy used to work for CSTV. Seems like he won't be involved in media stuff though, as they hired some gal, Heather Freehill, to work as a media relations associate.

Both of these didn't sound like they were hired to replace anyone. Could it be that our Athletic Department is growing? Could it be that some of the loose ends we have been complaining about might be addressed?

If Charter is successfully resisting a full court press by the NFL to carry the NFL Channel, why do we think we can get Charter to pony up to pay for the SLU bball team?

mhg

to either Phillipines or Pakistan whoever was the low bidder. But I think all of Skorkis Webbe'

cronies are out of jail now so maybe we will have a new vote on who gets to exclusive cluster

"bill" us.