Home Court

Quickdraw

As I walked to the car following our hard-fought victory, it occurred to me that this was one game where we genuinely seemed to get a bit of a push from the so-called home court advantage. Sometimes it seems that being at home does nothing for us--like when Arizona comes to our place and brings the refs with them! But this time around, when we needed a tough defensive stand during K-State's final 8 seconds, with the players exhorting the crowd and the crowd responding with some noise, I think it may have had an intimidating effect. During Josh's drive to the basket to tie the score, I don't even think he was fouled on the shot. If there was a foul, it came before the shot. But we got the extra point. Even the way we had to rack up 2 fouls to get into the bonus situation, then get a third foul to send K-State to the line and hope for a miss--it played out the way you plan it. But I dare say that on the road it would have been a lot less likely. You hear so much about the home-court advantage, it's nice to see that sometimes we do get an edge at home.

I don't agree with you on Josh's foul ... I thought he was fouled on the shot ... no continuation in college ... but if you are on your last step your finish counts. As I thought the calls were not as bad as usual ( and yes I am probably biased ... I seem to remember the missed calls that benefit our opponent ... but forget the ones that benefit us ) They walked at least 5 times with no call ... and were allowed over our backs inside all day. It frustrates me that we don't get the same home court advantage with refs as we face on the road. And I don't think that is biased ... we don't. I've always thought some leagues were home court leagues ... such as the Big 12 the home team usually gets the calls no matter who is playing. CUSA has always been a big name league. CUSA does not want Cinci or Louisville losing at SLU or ECU ... they are considered nationally above a midmajor ... but not quite with the big boys ... CUSA does not want to lose a ranked team ... and I think it shows.

I have reffed soccer for many years and even some college games in the early 80's ... so I am not a ref hater ... I really respect the job they do and the crap from coaches and players they put up with nowadays ... but I do expect some level of skill and some accountability. When a walk clearly happens in open court and it is not called ... or a guy is hacked and the entire gym sees it ... all but the refs ... it frustrates me.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Josh was in the act of shooting when he was fouled - the ref made the correct call. Should have been made whether we were on the road or at home. The big mistake was by KState not fouling Josh hard to make him miss the shot or by even fouling him to begin with. Sorry, I am having trouble accepting that Brad told the Bills to foul KState at the end - I think what happened, Reggie fouled by mistake and then we had no choice but to foul since all KState had to do was run the clock off. The foul by Reggie was not a good one because if we do not foul them, we still have time to bring the ball down to score and then we can foul them. If they miss or do not score then we have a full 35 seconds to try to score to tie or win the game.

I agree ... I was pissed that we fouled ... then the guy in front of me told me that he saw Brad tell them to foul. I was shocked ... why would you take the shot clock out of the equation. It turned out ok though ...

i would guess the first foul was called by brad to insure we had 6 fouls. that way if k state made another shot, we could then foul when needed to stop the clock and make them shoot free throws. i agree he did not want the 7th and then was forced to foul the third time since we were then down to 31 seconds left.

I don't know if the Bryant foul was called by Brad. I know think that Brad signalled to Drejaj for that last foul. Drejaj looked right at Brad he did a signal with his wrists together and Drejaj fouled immediately.

It is the 2nd to the last foul I am talking about ... the one that took away the shot clock ... I questioned him and he said he absolutely saw it ... I also thought he must have misread something ... there is no way coach calls for that foul

The play was right in front of me and I saw no indication from the coaches that they wanted a foul on the first foul. We only had four team fouls so we needed 3--not 2--to put them in the one and one.

Once we fouled with 15 aeconds left on the shot clock, then Brad was srcreaming for the last two fouls because they could run out the clock. It worked out well when the front end was missed.

By the way, as I looked at the stats, the KState fans and team must be devastated taht they lost this game. We shot 37% and they shot 51% including at least 7 or 8 very tough shots when closely guarded. they shot 89% from the line but missed on the front end in the last minute. They outrebounded us 35 to 27.

We won because we played tough defense even though they were hitting those mid range jumpers, we only turned the ball over 8 times and we had 18 assists on 21 baskets--showing that we moved the ball. as I said before, thsi was a nice win against a team that played well, packed in the zone and played with passion. This game followed their blowput by UMKC so you have to give them credit for coming off the floor and fighting hard. congrats to our Bills.

I actually thought that was a weak call. There's 5 seconds left on the shooting clock and the guy is near midcourt in a corner. Reggie was defending aggressively, and maybe got the guy a little with his body, but it was a bailout call. Without it, they were putting up a prayer from east J and we would get the ball with plenty of time.

reggie fouled the kstate plaer in front of his bench with the shot clock winding down. This was not the intent!! As a result there were 40 or so seconds left and we only had 5 team fouls. We were down by two

Option 1 let them milk the clock hope they mis and we get the rebound leaving up with only a few seceonds to tie or win the game.

option two foul multiple times quickly, to put them on the line with 26 seconds left.

after Reggie had that foul called on him, option two was the best option, and Brad did tell them to foul.