Eckerle

Box and Won

Paul is a super athletic guard who is a scorer. He has a few offers on the table currently. His AAU team had a super group of guards with Chris Stokes, Zach Plackemeir, and Eckerle. Anyone of them could put up twenty at any given time. I think SLU is only looking for a point guard so with him not being a point guard I don't see the Billikens looking at him but he will definitely get looks from some people. I just hope he doesn't end up being one of those kids who comes back in college and lights the Bills up for thirty...well OK I do as long as the Bills get the W!

I think Eckerle will eventually be a starter at the mid-major level but the combination of his size (6'1 and average wingspan) and his average handle won't allow him to attack and finish at the rim like he does in high school, IMO. He also isn't a good rebounder despite having very good hops. The parts of Eckerle's game that will translate right away are his spot up shooting from 3 point-range, which improved dramatically in his junior season, and his aggressive defense.

I have see Eckerle play several times and plan to go the Borgia tournament this year...His dad worked for me at McDonnell Douglas and he also played at Borgia...Shawn is a nice player helping them to win state last year...At this time I want to see him this year before commenting on his ability to help the Bills.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for bumping this thread Box. It answers a lot of questions for me. Too bad he's not a pg.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

why do we necessarily need a point guard in this recruiting class? we have two sophomores (lisch and liddell) that can readily handle the point as well as a junior in polk. we have the luxury of looking for the best guard available imo. from all i have read, pullen was more of a score first point guard like marque was. thus would have served more as a combo guard likely correct?

Good point Roy. I guess I thought he might be a little short to be a sg, but if he really has a big vertical, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I think we do need a pg in this class. We keep saying that we are trying to get to a level where we rely on Jr's and Sr's to win. We can't do that if we get a guy to come in during TL and KL's Sr year. Not only that, but if we don't get one this year we will need 2 the following year. We don't want to have only one on the roster. It not only makes sense to have one next year, I see it as very important. We don't want to continue to scramble or have to look to the JC ranks.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman