Speaking of Traitor Ramsey

NYBill

Due to problems with the SLU internet broadcast I had to listen to Dayton's radio broadcast team. They talked a bit about SLU's joining of the Atlantic-10 which they seemed to think was a good thing. Then they mentioned that while speaking to the SLU broadcast team (aka Ramsey) they learned that many SLU fans were not in favor of the move and wanted the team to move to the Valley! Did anyone else catch this?

What a joke. How many "fans" wanted the team to take a step down? And more importantly - even if there had been "many" such fans, why would Ramsey undermine the program once the decision had been made and suggest that there wasn't 100% enthusiasm behind the move?

I think this is grounds for firing.

that just p!sses me off. and i can guarantee you that it was ramsey and not earl that said that. as i have personally talked to earl about it. i know earl is a a-10 cheerleader and i was there listening to him try to defend it to some sports writers at the belleville west thanksgiving tourney.

the fact is, slu fans wanted the a-10 move. it is the casual sports fan that doesnt follow the sport like we do that spews this mvc nonsense.

Though I am not ready to ask for his removal, I am growing more troubled by the conflict between his boosterism of the team and his need to be "objective" on sports radio. I guess my biggest concern is that he does not see the conflict.

That said, I thought his 20 second or so speech on the statement that the Bills made by winning at Dayton was directly pointed to all in St. Louis who did not want the Bills to join the A-10. I heard it as an impassioned "in your face" to opponents of the A-10. I'd like to have a transcript of it.

That speech is all the more confusing coupled with the incredibly unfortunate wording of "two different planets" For a guy in the talking head business, one would think he could come up with a better way of saying that the teams are different. Particularly since the difference is favoring SLU this year.

MU 4-4; 2 losses to Top 25 teams; 1 road win against a legitimate team

SLU 6-4; 2 losses to Top 25 teams; 1 road win against a legitimate team

MU much talent, uninspired play, questionable offense, no coaching

SLU lesser talent, hard nosed play, not quite sure about the offense, lots of coaching.

I'd say that hard nosed play and coaching are leading uninspired talent so far.

I don't enjoy listening to Ramsey broadcast a game. I have a hard time figuring out what is going on. He seems to use the same voice no matter who scores. Earl is really good with his comments and I feel pretty comfortable that he is shooting straight. I also heard the comments by the announcers. On a side note, saw SMS-Creighton game. SMS gave them all they could handle and I didn't think they had such a terrible team, so maybe we shouldn't be down too much on that loss.

right this second, i think that slu beats missouri. now the question is, "can missouri decide to become a team by year's end?" there is no doubt that player for player, that missouri has more talent. they might have 6 nba players in johnson, paulding, klieza conley, mckinney and bryant. but to continue to underachieve as they have thus far is sad. even for a missouri hater like me. right now, johnson and paulding are p!ssing away millions of dollars. you would think that alone would get them motivated to win. surely they realize that they get cut from the tiger payroll in a few months.

I was talking with a big Tiger booster earlier today and his thought process is that the coaching is killing the Tigers. That as a team they have no idea what to do, but they try to make a go of it. The result is they get down early to many teams. There is too much thinking going on and not enough playing. He then suggests that the players then decide to play a little looser in the second half or Quin saying something like 'we're getting killed guys, go out and make some plays' and then thay make a come back, not based on the system but based on athleticism and talent.

I have not seen enough of them to make any assessment, but I believe that Quin is not a particulalry good coach. The question for the rest of the season is whether he can put into place a system that can harness the talent -or- are we going to see a "Showtime" of completely individual performances as guys model for the NBA?

butch, the fact they seem totally disjointed is weird stuff because defense and offensive sets should be what pretty q $nyder should be stressing in practice. just what is $nyder actually doing in practice?

i guess they could have been writing depositions and rehearsing testimonies. or the other thought i had was they were having group financial planning meetings. maybe they started a stock club.

I have never spoke to one real regular Billikens fan who ever favored going to the Mo. Valley vs. the Atlantic Ten. What a joke! As I have said before I think Ramsey is not a fan of the Billikens

I have emailed Doug Wollard with a strongly worded set of complaints about Ramsey. I'll let you know if he replies.

Billy D is a good recruiter no question about it as has $nyder been. However, I don't think either one of them can coach their way out of a wet paper bag.

$nyder also reminds me a lot of another slimeball HC who already got the boot, and that was Rick New Weasel former HC at UW. Seems to me that New Weasel and $nyder had something else in common, they both have law degrees.

all this stuff about what ramsey said, is getting old. I still like his broadcasts, IF and hopefully when we have talent comparablet to mu, then we could complain about his statements. Until then we are on a different planet. We do not have the luxury of having players who will be drafted in the NBA.(not yet) Brad has to choose which players not to play, and Quin gets to choose which players to play. We do not (fortunately) attract the personalities that Mizzou does, we do not pay our players. etc.......As much as it pains me to say it the talent level at Mizzou is a step above or on a different planet. Fortunately all the games have to be played on hardwood and teams cannot rely on press clippings to determine the outcome. I agree with Roy that SLU could beat Mizzou today. But we have to play well the rest of the season to make the tourney. I suspect Mizzou will make the tourney as a .500 team in their conference. As much as we do not want to admit it, all of that is true. However come next year we will have a talent level that is comparable, and then I think it would be right to challenge the comment Ramsey has made, I bet though he will not make those comments next year.

As for fans if anyone has ever been in a position to recieve mail or e mail from "citizens " on an issue, then recall that rational people do write, but irrational people certainly do write as well(even more so). I bet the rational letters were 4-1 in favor of the A10. and the irrational were 3-1 in favor of MVC. Many folks have different agendas, their kids go to SMS or SIUC or creighton etc.....

We all have looked at this rationally and clearly see the best choice is the A10 but to the average fan, who is not as obsessed as we are, the A10 was an unknown.....the MVC was a known and comfortable choice......Thank God those in the know chose the A10.

I tend to agree: Ramsey's game calls are good enough that he remains -- on balance -- an asset to SLU Basketball. But the more I hear about his "off-the-cuff" remarks, the more I'm inclined to agree with the previously-expressed assessment that Bullet Bob may suffer from frequent brain cramps. I enjoy his broadcasts. But I wish he'd think just a bit before he opens his mouth in other situations (e.g., KFNS, Dayton pre-game). It just doesn't make sense for him to talk the program down. It's not good for the Billikens...and it's not good for his own career.

I posted something a few weeks ago about Ramsey and his position. Not everything is as it seems. I do not know there is a solution to the problem with the financial resources we have.

I might suggest that those of you who sent emails to Woolard, also send them to Ramsey. Ask him why he is saying the things he says. Also, ask him if he realizes the animosity it causes between him and Billiken fans. Lastly, ask him to change his ways as whether he knows it or not, people are perceiving his comments in a negative fashion.

basketbill said, "I suspect Mizzou will make the tourney as a .500 team in their conference."

if the big 12 is still the 8th ranked conference as of a couple of weeks from now, it wont change thereafter and a 500 record will not get big 12 teams in the tourney. the big 12 is in trouble tourneywise is my opinion.

Well said. I do think that if certain statements upset some people, then an email to Bob Ramsey himself would be appropriate. I tend to believe that most of these offending comments were said on impulse and without thinking about how they came across. Maybe he does need to choose his words more carefully when away from the Billiken broadcasts. As I have said many times, I have no problem with his broadcasts of the games. I can't imagine who else we would get(Ron Jacober?).

It doesn't hurt to express any concerns directly to him. Hopefully it will have a positive effect.

In regard to no fans being supportive of joining the Missouri Valley, I have talked to "fans", including some season ticket holders, who do feel that the Missouri Valley would have been a better choice, solely because of proximity. The Atlantic 10 sounds far away for rivalries to develop. They are not knowledgeable about the other issues. I thought Ramsey put it very well during the game the other night about the positive aspects of joining the Atlantic 10.

In the last three weeks, there has been at least 4 different complaining threads about Ramsey - I doubt other broadcasters for other teams get that many in a year and still are around. We are only about a 1/3 through the season. You can email Ramsey if you want but he is arrogant - just listen to how he handles callers on his drive time show with Clayborn. If Ramsey is so good of an announce how come nobody else is going after him - every announcing job he has tried for or been give a trial chance he has not gotten. Maybe is not that great and we have just developed lower expectations. I for one would be willing to give another young announce who knows where his bread is buttered a chance. He just keeps having "brain cramps" are is he just an arrogrant brainless person who does not give a sh##. Anybody can make a mistake but when you keep making them then you have to be held accountable.

I agree with your post. Trashing Ramsey over a couple of statements that don't seem out of line is wrong. There are many reasons for saying SLU and Missouri are on different planets basketball program wise. Talent level, conference, reputation, etc. As far as the MVC vs A10 debate, there are people on both sides of this, maybe not on this board, but in the real world. Again Ramsey pointing this out is no reason to bash him for it.

ramsey has said on many occasions he doesnt read the internet. if true, he doesnt even know how to get e-mails.

maybe there is some secret sect of billiken fans somewhere that i dont come across, but i have yet to run into the true billiken fan at a game or at a billiken club event that has told me they dont like the a-10 switch and sure wish we would have tried to get in the mvc. the only people i have heard say that are casual basketball fans that admit the billikens arent their top team.

Does anyone here know where he has been working the last few years? I remember he used to be with a radio station in town (can't remember which one), and he did a few Cardinals games, where I thought he did well. It looked like he was a rising star in this area, but I haven't heard about him since. Any info would be appreciated.

he was doing the sports for jc before. jc seems to have a way of "killing" careers! :-) i love jc though. i am guessing station execs dont though.