All Star featuring MU recruits - STL Post this morning

vtime said,

"The other team has a bunch of high-rated recruits and our local guys took them to the wire and were four seconds from the upset. Our guys can ball."

"our guys"? i thought knollmeyer and maguire didnt show? those are "our guys". whoever played in this game are not "our guys".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>>And for all who say it was a good decsion to skip the event, I >>would have preferred our recruits to show up and be THE DIFFERENCE >>in the game as opposed to being a no show.

These kids are sighteen years old!! Let's ease up on them. Theitr girlfriends probably wanted them to do to dinner, or maybe their mom and dad asked them to clean their rooms instead. The post-season all-star games are overrated anyways. Most of the players are not in peak shape, so they don't play that hard. Who cares if they played or not! Just get to West Pine in August healthy and ready to play.

I really thought our guy's should have played. This would have been a perfect opportunity to get SLU supporters excited about the upcoming season. I remeber last year when TL played how excited I was going to be to see him in a Billiken uniform. I saw many Missouri backers there on Saturday as they were checking out their new recruits.

SLU can't claim that we are always short changed on the media coverage front and then not take advantage of opportunities to get SLU's name in the media. How about this..... Knollmeyer plays and gets 25 points and DM ends up hitting five three's and the locals win the game and Knollmeyer is named MVP. Now is there a trophy or an NCAA tourney bid on the line no but if SLU"S guy's show up and play really well just think how much buzz that could generate for the new year.

Sometimes we get what we deserve.

I may be making things up, but I thought DJ came out last year with some pretty harsh remarks in regard to SLU and Soderberg. Maybe our recruits and coaching staff are upset about it and wanted to stick it to DJ. Sounds like he was starved for talent and our recruits could have really picked up the attendence.

Get who excited ... very few people go or care about this game. This is a Mizzou showcase and it looks like he set up a team the Mizzou guys could look good against.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

the year that Polk went for 35+. there was no anti-SLU bias that year. This is the first year that I can remember our guys not playing.

Also, I don't believe the 10-20 Billiken fans that would show up to this event because our recruits are playing weighed all that heavily in the success or lack thereof of this event.

Skip I hate to say it but SLU missed a great opportunity to compete directly with Mizzou in a way they can't run from.

Would you and the other Kool-Aid drinkers perceived value in DJ's game had the SLU recruits outplayed the Missouri recruits. Well you can't outplay them if you are not even willing to show up. I would love to use that kind of dig with the recruiting onslaught that is coming from Anderson and Missouri for the 2006,2007,2008 classes. Does it mean anything, not really, but at least we could have a discussion on how our recruits outplayed Mizzous recruits.

If SLU wants media coverage then let's not turn up our nose when an opportunity arises. You see, while you and people like Roy try to minimize the game, hold onto the past and make silly Mizzou's references I'm wanting to change the perception of SLU basketabll. SLU will go anywhere and compete against anyone . Our No Show's for the premier ALL Star basketball game in St. Louis just cements everyones percetion of second tier SLU basketball. There would have been nothing better than to send Knollmeyer and DM to the game and have them outplay the Mizzou recruits. I wondered if 2006,2007,2008 recruits wondered why SLU was not represented?

Missed opportunity like it or not.

when diener played in the game before his entering slu, he never touched the ball as a wing. i suspect that maguire being a similar type player would have not gotten too many touches as well. as to the inside players, even in the mcdonalds all star game, the pf's and centers extent of input is limited to defensive rebounds and putbacks rarely if ever seeing an input pass. considering there would be no slu guards bringing the ball down, i dont see how you can advocate a shooting wing and a power forward wasting their time at a mi$$ouri players all star game.

if you want to change the perception, tell your mi$$ouri buds to schedule a real game against saint louis university and it can be settled on the court.

The comments I was possibly referring to would have happened sometime after the end of last season. But I can't remember much about it, so nevermind.

But c'mon, Kshoe. You think two more SLU recruits would only add 10-20 people? I could have sworn you were one of the people thinking we could get top 50 recruits daily...but I have trouble keeping all you shoes separate :). Seriously though...our recruits could have definitely generated more interest in the game...it IS being held in STL, right? Then you have players families, friends, teamates, etc. No, I think we could have made a crowd impact...as well as print/media. Then again, I'm envisioning this thing being in a high school gym with maybe 150 people in the stands.

and the crowds probably have ranged from 400 to 1,500 but the vast majority of the people are there to see the local players vs. future college studs. A few are there to see the Mizzou kids, an even smaller few are there to see the Billikens and some are there to see both. Yes, AK or DM's families may have shown if they were playing but maybe their replacements families also brought their family members.

All in all, I don't think the average Billiken fan follows the team much in the off-season and I think even fewer are willing to spend a summer Saturday night to see our guys not be passed to in an all-star format.

"when diener played in the game before his entering slu, he never touched the ball as a wing. i suspect that maguire being a similar type player would have not gotten too many touches as well."

That was then this is now. I don't really care what you suspect...let's have DM show up and a make a difference. Let's have him go and shoot lights out and create a SLU buzz outside of Belleville.

"as to the inside players, even in the mcdonalds all star game, the pf's and centers extent of input is limited to defensive rebounds and putbacks rarely if ever seeing an input pass."

So what if he doesn't see a entry pass all night. Score twenty five on putbacks. 25 is 25 no matter how it is done. Also wouldn't mind seeing him shooting a couple 15 footers.

"considering there would be no slu guards bringing the ball down, i dont see how you can advocate a shooting wing and a power forward wasting their time at a mi$$ouri players all star game."

The only option now Roy is to take your ball and go home. I think I hear you mother calling now.....

Same old tired arguments from a SLU faithful.

How about just showing up and kicking their A$$. How about getting every freakin' rebound and being a horse on the boards. How about showing up and making some three's. Let see SLU recruits compete.

The Kool-Aid drinkers are so predictable it is frightening. Roy you have such a defeatist attitude. Where is your Republican "survival of the fittest attitude" when it means something. You exemplify why SLU is where it is today. Always wining, never enough media coverage, recruiting rationalizations and Mizzou paranoria.

CHANGE THE ATTITUDE AND THE RESULTS WILL CHANGE.

tommie liddell played in the game last year and scored 36 points. kevin was chomping at the bit to play, but couldn't because he was coming off of knee surgery.

I think the only billiken recruits not to play in the game before this year was luke meyer. i think everyone else has played (who wasn't injured like obi) that signed with slu over the years.

bad boyz for life

And the incredibly negative what can I bash today posters like yourself would have found something to ***** about ... you always do.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

I know ... but it has gotten better as you have probably noticed that a certain few posters don't post so much and the board instantly becomes more civil ... and even when they do, most posters just ignore them.

I think I am a Kool-Aid drinker and a PBC'er.

As for the Kool-Aid ... I love the BIlls and choose to try and see the positive, yes that makes me wrong sometimes ... but it's not like what I think has any effect on the actual outcome of anything ... so I will remain positive.

And for the PBC side ... I'm probably 75% happy with Brad. There are things I wish he would have done differently and things I hope he changes ... Am I 100% sure Brad can get us and keep us consistently dancing ... No, I am not, but I think he can ... and since again my opinion won't change anything and Brad is the coach ... I'll support him.

What I think is funny are the guys that insist they are holding the program to higher standards ... most of them are nobodies in that their opinion means nothing, no one cares anymore about their opinion than they do about mine ... so actually they aren't holding anybody to anything.

"What I think is funny are the guys that insist they are holding the program to higher standards ... most of them are nobodies in that their opinion means nothing, no one cares anymore about their opinion than they do about mine ... so actually they aren't holding anybody to anything. "

Nark might be the exception to that rule BUT you are correct. Blasting the program for missed recruits (in hindsight) and "holding the prgram to higher standards" by ripping everything Brad and company do is NOT helpful. It certainly hasn't anything to do with accountability. I'm hoping that Hardball stops paying his season tix and stops caring about the Bills. That'd show'em........

>>>>Western, Rolla, Cowley....boy this doesn't look like a lot

>>>>of top competition for our signees. It looks like a good

>>>>decision to back out of this game for our kids.

>>>

>>>Don't forget those powerhouse schools "I'm not sure of" and

>>>"Rollins"

>>>You call that an All-Star game? Weak!

>>

>>

>>It was a great game where a overmatched local team put

>>everything they had on the floor and nearly got the win.

>>Keon Lawrence was amazing with 34 points and hit the game

>>winner. It was anything, but weak.

>

>Wow, some guy scored 34 in a scrimmage against players going

>to schools like Rolla, Cowley, I'm not sure of, and Rollins.

>Weak! Did people actually pay money to watch that?

If you dont think watching a team full of division II players plus Hill and Washington play against a team of division I guys and take them to final buzzer, than someone should check you for a pulse. A good game is a good game, whether you have the big name guys or not. There were enough big name guys to get most fans out and the schools some of the guys are attending are local like Western Illinois and Illinois State, and there fans traveled to see the game.

First of all, I see you once again broke you pledge to not respond to me. You're like a crackhead sitting next to a pipe. You have no self control whatsoever.

Secondly, I never received a warning from Steve. You DID receive a warning from Steve. Steve sent me an e-mail to apologize for letting your perverted posts go through, and telling me that he sent you a warning. Of course I don't blame Steve because you can't control yourself. It's not his fault that a grown man can't behave himself.

I don't know about phan or billboys or anybody else, but we both know for a fact that you received a warning.

Do you care to dispute this?