Disturbing....

VTIME

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=549097

Josh Tabb is a part of a top 6 recruiting class in the nation. SIU Carbondale had him committed for a long time before he decided to go to prep school. Why cant Soderberg get a kid of this caliber to at the very least commit to the program.

Secondly, Romar's Huskies have the no.7 ranked recruiting class in the nation. He's gotten a commitment from another big time local guy. In the past 2 years along Romar has gotten commitment from Martell Webster, Jon Brockman, Justin Dentmon, one time Illinois State commit, and Spencer Hawes among others. He can really recruit both locally and nationally and comes to our neck of the woods and plucks guys we should get like Dentmon and probably Suggs. Brad found out about Suggs the same time Romar did. Brad just cant recruit.

vtime, if you were brad and already had drejaj, polk, meyer, and brown returning and you were only going to bring in two more guards, which of lisch and liddell would you not have recruited to recruit tabb?

please keep in mind, in high school, tabb couldnt shoot as good as liddell let alone hold a candle to lisch.

as to re-recruiting him the following season when he went to prep school, i personally have a problem with a player that doesnt keep his word with the school that did stand by him when he was in academic distress. and i certainly dont want slu moving in after the fact to recruit a player the following season.

tabb should have held up to his original recruitment.

>vtime, if you were brad and already had drejaj, polk, meyer,

>and brown returning and you were only going to bring in two

>more guards, which of lisch and liddell would you not have

>recruited to recruit tabb?

>

>please keep in mind, in high school, tabb couldnt shoot as

>good as liddell let alone hold a candle to lisch.

>

>as to re-recruiting him the following season when he went to

>prep school, i personally have a problem with a player that

>doesnt keep his word with the school that did stand by him

>when he was in academic distress. and i certainly dont want

>slu moving in after the fact to recruit a player the

>following season.

>

>tabb should have held up to his original recruitment.

You can dress it up however you want, but SLLU should be able to land Carbondale guys like Dentmon, Tabb, and Cass, and Fayne. but it hasnt been happening. Good schools recruit the best players available, not for position. If you get the best talent available, positions wont be an issue.

V, generally I'm glad you post here but this constant, constant harping about "why didn't we recruit / get this guy or that guy" is well past wearing thin. Romar has a magnetic personality and might be one of the best recruiters in the country. How many blue chipers did he land at SLU during his tenure? Does that tell you anything about the difficulty a coach faces in recruiting for SLU? And Romar inherited a team from Spoon in much better shape than Brad inherited from Romar. SIU has been to the dance how many times in the last 10 years? I'm not saying we can't recruit with these guys but it seems odd to me that you some how think our program is head and shoulders above the SIUs of the world such that Brad could waltz into their back yard at will and steal a recruit.

We're in a tough position at present. We need more talent on the floor to raise the program up another level but we need consistent success (Ws and getting into the dance) to land the better talent. I think this next season is absolutely crucial. It's Ian's last season. The 2007 class in STL is loaded. We have to pick off several high value recruits in that class. A 500 season might doom us to be a mediocre team indefinitely.

dentmon, tabb, cass and fayne, none qualified out of high school. why should we have been spending time recruiting kids that wouldnt qualify?

second, dentmon was not going to come to slu with lisch and liddell playing ahead of him.

as to your theory of recruiting a whole roster of guards. we'll just have to agree to disagree. the examples of teams that successfully win with 4 guard offenses are few and far between. give me a traditional lineup with at least 2 bigs on the floor every time.

I think disturbing is an appropriate term. We won't rehash past recruiting mistakes, but now is the time to make some things happen. The staff looks like they are putting some work in and getting out and making offers. Now, it's time to close some deals.

An excellent 2007 season and a solid recruiting haul is what brad needed to show the local basketball community that he is indeed headed in the right direction.

bad boyz for life

p.s. I think phillip fayne would have been a nice candidate for one of those last few scholarships.

>you never saw tabb play in high school did you?

SO! You never even played High School ball. And to your comments last week about Calipari were laughable calling him a scum. I know John and his wife pretty well, and for a mortgage guy who is notorious for over charging people with hidden fees and points, should not refer to people they don't know scum. Get a clue RoY!

showing your ignorance again arent you billsboy.

i indeed did play high school basketball.

i would put my reputation in the mortgage banking industry up against anyone. especially when it comes to hidden fees and points. my average closing costs is under $1000 per deal and i always will walk away from a deal rather than put a borrower in an adverse position cost and rate wise.

that all said, your knowing calipari personally doesnt surprise me a bit! what's the old saying about birds of a feather?

"He can really recruit both locally and nationally and comes to our neck of the woods and plucks guys we should get like Dentmon and probably Suggs."

Yeah, Romar did absolutely friggin great here in his first stint of recruiting. His national recruits were stellar as well. Floyd McClain, Jason Edwin, Randy Pulley, John Seyfort, Ross Varner. Sounds like a star studded lineup to me. Let us count all the local recruits that he got in our "neck of the woods". Ok, I'm done, that didn't take long.

"Brad found out about Suggs the same time Romar did."

Your facts are incorrect as usual V. Romar was named HC in March of '99. It has even been written in the PD that Suggs' dad was talking to Romar about Scott as soon as he arrived in town. Brad did not even get here until Romar's last season. Check again.

"Brad just cant recruit."

Yeah, and I suppose Tommie, Kevin, and Ian just showed up on SLU's campus by accident. Get your head out of your ass.

Laughable, Vee, laughable. Sometimes you are like a tone deaf, color blind kid being taught to play the piano in a paint-by-numbers skeme .....

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one...... and its Romar. Let's keep a constant (Romar) and change the variable (school) in this equation. Then let's ask the question why was Romar an abject failure in his recruiting efforts here, yet excels to the tune of top ten recruiting classes at YouDub? Romar the man didn't change, did he? Did the style change? Pesonality? Coaching ability? Assistant coaching staff (Dollar)? What changed? Hmm, hmm, hmm .... I seem to have befuddled myself with this one.

I agree. Part of Romar's problem is that he was trying to convince west coast recruits to come to a relatively unknown program in the midwest. Convincing west coast kids to come to Washington is a much easier sell. If Romar had recruiting ties in the midwest seven years ago, he would have had much greater recruiting success at SLU.

I think Romar has the type of personality that could sell ice to eskimos, however, selling SLU to high profile west coast kids, well, even Bill Clinton couldn't do that. Zo would've had a lot more success had he stayed in his own backyard. And if I'm not mistaken, his recent sterling recruiting classes have come from the N.West and with kids he may have established contacts with when he was here. UW's still not in the UNC or Duke class.

I happen to agree with you on that one, footsie. So he went after the "wrong" players. And coming in second means you lost just the same. And many of us lamented how Lorenzo didn't have much of a backup plan when he was encountering these losses. So now the question is "was Romar a failure in recruiting?" At SLU? And if he was --- you yourself said and I agreed that he went after the wrong kids, finished second and had to settle --- what revolutionary change came over him to enlighten his efforts at YouDub and where can we send Brad to get that kind of religion?

Frankly, I don't have a real problem with Romar, Soderberg, Spoon or Grawer. Coaches do what they've got to do; if they don't do it well, they are shown the door. That is tough when your livelihood and family sustenance depend on the whims of the whimsical 17- to 20-year-old crowd. But if Romar did indeed go after the "wrong" players, could it not be concluded then that his recruiting abilities, while at SLU, were suspect because his plan was based on unrealistic targets? Maybe, maybe not but I am not in a position to make that call, just raise the question.

What I find "laughable" and posted as such back at Vee, is Vee's continued insistence that all things are equal and Soderberg can waltz in to any local kid's rec room, and get him to SLU based on just offering him at an early age. His whole start of this thread, using Josh Tabb as his example, is funny because it demonstrates the very whims of the group I mentioned because Tabb was going to SIU and is now at Tennessee. Do you go after these kids? Sure, but you've got to have a plan and recruit to fill the needs of your plan. I do not advocate recruiting 11 guards to fill a 13 man roster. But Vee seems to think that is a good way to go. More power to Vee ... I'd like to see him win with that lineup but that'll only happen in my dreams ... which do not include Vee right now thank goodness.

Most plans have similar components. Goals and objectives lead to plans which lead to execution of effort which lead to evaluation and redefining goals and objectives and the whole cycle starts over again. My contention here, is that if we agree that Romar went after the wrong kids, his planning was way off. And without a backup plan he finished second and had to settle. Could we not conclude that at SLU, Romar was a recruiting failure? Yet we can easily conclude that he is a guru at YouDub. Again, what changed? Therein things are not equal.

I am NOT saying that SLU is a tough place to go to school, is any tougher than some other places, has high academic standards and what have you. While that may be true to some degree, the same could be said of Duke, Georgetown, BC, Notre Dame, etc. etc. Yet these schools make it and make it often. Why? I'd offer looking at the "names" and the traditions. If Micahel Jordan Jr., posessing of all his hereditary skills was comign down the block, and North Carolina, Duke, UConn, and Arizona were lining up the offers, that would be a show. But if that list were Duke, Saint Louis, Northern Illinois, Savannah State, and Arkansas-Pine Bluff ... the game would be over before it started. Agree with me there? Short of the top ten or twenty schools with the sport pedigree, all the rest are mini-mice fighting for table crumbs.

I have said all along that SLU's major focus needs to be on finding those diamonds in the rough that stay at school four years and develop. I think SIU, Creighton and a lot of others do this. Our staff has fallen short (I think) in its talent evaluation and needs to improve in that area. Throwing a whole bunch of crap on the wall (offers to every Tom, Dick and Harry in the greater metro area) and seeing what sticks (signings) is not the correct way of doing business. But even in that, you still need the breaks and we have a few of those on the good side (Lisch, Liddell, Ian) and some on the bad side (Polk, Meyer, Husak). We need more good ones.

My glass is half empty onthe Brad side but I still am not ready to call for his head. He is in a crucial period however. He needs to put a good season in the record books and get a lion's share of the local talent in the hopper. Having Ian back is a key to the first, which might lead to the second.

>According to scout.com, SLU has offered Chase Simon, a

>shooting guard from Michigan. X and SLU are his favorites.

Of those who have offered. He's waiting for Michigan and others to offer him. Would hold my breath for him to be a Bill:

http://michigan.scout.com/2/490977.html

"I'm hearing from Marquette, Xavier, Syracuse, St. Bonaventure, Dayton, Michigan, and Wisconsin," Simon said. "Xavier has really been on me a lot. They've been in touch a lot this week because they wanted to make sure I watch their game against Cincinnati. Right now I've got offers Xavier, Dayton, and St Bonaventure, but I look for my recruitment to rise up after

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ri...tory_recruiting

With a solid spring, Simon has been getting a lot of attention from college coaches. "Recruiting has been looking alright. Purdue's been picking up their recruitment, I've been talking to Penn State, Michigan's still recruiting hard, Xavier's still up there. I'm looking forward to going to camp at the end of the summer. After camp, I'm looking to have a big list hopefully by the beginning of the season."

He still holds offers from Xavier, Dayton, and St. Bonaventure, but Simon feels a few more schools are close to offering. "I think that Michigan is close to offering and a couple of other new teams are close."

One of Simon's favorite schools is Xavier. "They are still on the top of my list. They've showed me the most love since last year when I played with the Mustangs in Las Vegas. They are going to be on the top of my list regardless of who jumps in and who jumps out."

Another team that has offered that has Simon's attention is Dayton. "Dayton, they've showed a lot more interest. They've jumped up a lot in the last couple of months. My interest is high in them also."

During the school year Simon indicated that he wanted to reach a decision this summer, but that has since changed. "I've changed my mind; I've decided to wait late into my senior year before I make my choice.

>And if I'm not mistaken, his recent sterling recruiting classes have come from the N.West >and with kids he may have established contacts with when he was here. UW's

>still not in the UNC or Duke class.

Romar has done a great job recruiting at Washington.

He has taken advantage of a really strong pocket of basketball talent in the northwest. He's still competing against Gonzaga, which has also done a good job recruiting, but Romar has gotten some big-time kids and will probably continue to do so.

- Nate

Based on what Rich relays above, how does MU88 figure this kid is high on us? I don't see St. Louis mentioned at all. L-O-U-I-S and B-O-N-A-V-E-N-T-U-R-E are worlds apart ....

david lee, darius miles, travis deiner, nick kern, jimmy mckinney, maurice baker just a few of the close but no cigar recruits that coach romar went after hard. what part of california do they all come from.

the west coast attention thing is bogus. romar recruited nationally. not just west coast. however many seem to have very selective memory of the facts.

romar would have eventually overcome the slu handcuffs and landed a big name recruit. i have always truly believed he was the recruiter that slu has forever thirsted for. we let him get away....no we chased him away with our continued impatience. and he has now gone on the bigger things that would have eventually been ours as well. we are our own worst enemy in our neverending battle for success.

I really think you are talking through your hat on this one Roy. Zo would've found a rocky road with Edwin and Pulley flunking out, Mcclain being worthless, and Kern not coming. Would Zo have come up with better late signings than Brad?

Romar was not a great recruiter here. Our impatience had NOTHING to do with his leaving. He wasn't under fire when he left (or wouldn't have been till his recruits started flunking out....)

he wasnt under fire? this board was brutal towards coach romar that last year.

as to coming up with better late signings, considering that the team pretty much ran on perry and fisher, i think that romar would have been fine. plus, hollins had said he would have come for romar so he would have been added to the mix. and while the nick kern story has been a sad one, who knows what might have happened with kern had romar stayed in st louis.

but insinuating everyone loved loro while he was here is really pushing the selective memory button.