Billiken Roy

kshoe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the brochure i have is titled, "the tradition" with pictures of easy ed, marque and coach brad under the the title and saint louis billikens under the three picture panels. there are 14 pages of pictures and information on the inside, thus it wouldnt be easy to post.

i would be surprised if you called the billiken office if they wouldnt send it to you or at least make it available for pickup. they readily passed them out a few weeks ago at the reception i was at.

"I don't mean this to be a personal attack, Law, but ever since your Golden Eagles reached the Final Four (and even a little bit before then), the things that you've written make me consider you much more of a die-hard Marquette fan who gives SLU some sympathy points because he attends school there than a true Billikens fan. You're only a little bit more of a Billikens fan than MUTGR, who also attended SLU after graduating from an MU (Mizzou)."

I think it's more that there has been a consistant anti-Marquette tone in the past few months, especially weeks (I was in Europe all summer and rarely saw the board). The statements that Marquette will fall into oblivion now that Wade is gone, that the 2 programs are "even" because games have been close (MU and ECU have split the last 4, are those two programs even?), that MU has become "arrogant" because of what has now become billed as a "fluke Final Four run because Quinn can't coach" and statements like that. If defending my alma mater where I know many of the administrators, coaches, players and their parents is "anti-Billiken" then I guess nothing I do will be good enough to show loyalty to what I hope will soon be my second alma mater.

while i agree you have been very demanding of our view of the marquette program, i also dont expect those marquette loyalties to disappear after one season if ever. those expecting that to happen would be naive.

Law, I think I understand what you're saying. Your tone has changed because folks around here are unnecessarily bashing Marquette, your alma mater. While I understand, let me caution you that defending your team won't work here. Most of the true-blue, rabid Billikens fans (possibly other than myself) lack the objective reasoning power to accept praise and support of another program, be it Missouri, Illinois, Creighton, or Cincinnati, hardly know how to respond to criticism of their beloved program, and believe practically anyone more successful than the Bills has SOME skeletons in its closet. Any retaliatory negativism towards SLU will be duly noted by those rabid SLU fans, who will completely gloss over the original infraction by SLU fans, so if you want to continue to be considered a SLU fan, you may want to ignore the sour-grapes taunts of SLU fans towards Marquette (also, you need to keep in mind that some Billikens fans are Wisconsin fans who've adopted SLU because of Brad Soderberg, so that's another strike against you).

Personally, I'm happy for Marquette having made the Final Four and think its fans deserve to enjoy their moment in the sun for however long it lasts, even if some of its fans' heads get bigger than they should be, and I congratulate them on being invited to the Big East. That said, I hope the Billikens beat the tar out of the Golden Eagles at least four times in these last two years of the Conference USA as we know it.

Terrance,

I disagree. While some of us disrespect any fan of another program, many of us enjoy the perspective of fans from other schools. The problem, however, is that since Marquette's Final Four run last season, Law's perspective (along with most other Marquette fans) has become patronizing at times. We are sick of hearing comments suggesting that maybe, if we are lucky, SLU will one day be as good as Marquette and can compete in the Big East.

SLU and Marquette have been very comparable and competitive programs over the last ten years, but it is amazing how a few lucky breaks for Marquette last season have made their fans forget where they were a year or two ago and where they will probably be a year or two from now. If I were a Marquette fan, I would be pi$$ed off that they are not building a new women's basketball arena, not a men's arena.

thicks ... yes it was ...though halfway tongue in cheek. That post was very patronizing to most Billiken fans. This is a Billiken board. You clearly state that most of us ...except you ... aren't subjective or fair.

I usually find your posts very informative and enjoy your point of view, but this post was off base.

I was trying to insinuate that many of us *including* myself, (that's why I said, "*possibly* other than me") are too defensive of SLU and are intolerant of opposing points of view. By no means can I exclude myself, but in writing the post it's something of a revelation. It doesn't necessarily mean I expect anything to change or that I want anything to change.

The problem, however, is that since Marquette's Final Four run last season, Law's perspective (along with most other Marquette fans) has become patronizing at times. We are sick of hearing comments suggesting that maybe, if we are lucky, SLU will one day be as good as Marquette and can compete in the Big East.

-I certaintly never intendend to come off as patroizing in saying that maybe SLU can rise to Marquette's level. In fact, when I first came to SLU many people here told me "we'd like to be like Marquette. They're our model." When I was at MU (94-98, the Deane years) I saw a slow decline in our hoops program, accompanied by the excuses that our academic standards were too high, our facilities sub par, didn't have the financial resources to compete with the big boys, should move to a smaller arena, we lived in the past, nobody in Milwaukee gave a damn about Marquette (in 2000 one talk-show host said MU was maybe 5th in Milwaukee in terms of interest, behind the local indoor soccer team!) etc. The same excuses I've heard since my first day at SLU. Obviously you all are die-hards that don't buy into those opinions but if you poll the general population in St. Louis and many SLU alums they'd likely say SLU can't compete and list those reasons. The saying that you can and you can be like Marquette is a way of answering the critics who view SLU as out of their league when it comes to competing in NCAA hoops, not patronizing.

"If I were a Marquette fan, I would be pi$$ed off that they are not building a new women's basketball arena, not a men's arena."

-It sure would be nice but the fact is we don't need a Men's arena and it just doesn't make sense to build one when 2 perfectly good arenas for the mens program are within 6 blocks of the MU campus. The BC has always been an asset for the MU program even when it wasn't filled. Besides, when the IHL Admirals fold in a few years MU will be the unquestioned #2 tenant at the BC - not that they have all that much trouble getting dates now since their bringing in over 15,000 a game.

Also, if we had the money to build a 15,000 seat arena that would have been great but the fact is that a number of building projects came up at the same time (new library/info tech center, new Dental School, campus beautification) and more are looming (new academic and residential facilities) made building the practice facility/women's arena more feasible for MU. The McGuire Center will be a great place for MU.