Rebounding stats--JJ

Billikan

After reading some posts that suggested that JJ was rebounding well, and with my memory indicating that he had not rebounded well, particularly on the defensive end, I decided to look at the stats:

E KY--5 minutes, no rebounds

West V.--10 minutes, one rebound

Ariz.--15 minutes, one rebound

Ga. Tech--12 minutes, one rebound

SMS--13 minutes, no defensive rebounds

that is a total of 3 defensive rebounds in the 5 games against legitimate opponents. (The stats in the other games are basically irrelevant because the teams were beaten badly, jacked up shots from all over and were overall not of the caliber of teams we will play in the future.) the stats confirm what I remembered. This does not indicate a high flying athletic inside player like some would suggest. This must be considered, along with the practice energy, the coach's review of game tape and the overall impact the coaches believe he can have on a game.

Someone earlier today suggested that for Ian to have an impact on the team he would need to get 10 points and 10 rebounds per game. considering that the opposition gets much tougher against teams that are strong and athletic like cinn, Marq, Lousiville, UNCC, Memphis, etc.--to set that as a criteria for success is ridiculous considering that JJ cannot even average one defensive rebound per game.

I think we should have faith in the coaching staff. If JJ proves he belongs on the court I am sure he will be in the game. As I said earlier, I have not seen anything yet that makes me believe that the coaching staff is wrong.

The mere fact that Coach Soderberg did not give JJ minutes at garbage time in an obvious blowout Saturday night says to me that JJ is still in Coach's doghouse. I mean the only other logical explanation would have been that he was either sick or too injured.

i will be surprised if ian averages chris braun's numbers from last season let alone an astounding double double. any of you thinking ian is going to come in next week and become karl malone are in for a big disappointment. maybe in 3 years, but not this year.

I have asked before if anyone has seen Ian in practice and how he does. Roy your statements regarding him, are they based on first hand knowledge or 2nd hand or just intuition?

I still have to think if Brad keeps saying how skilled he is, that he may well contribute, perhaps not with point but perhaps with solid minutes, good interior passing, and rest for SLoan and Frericks

i have been to a few practices and he has not stood out at all. when they do conditioning, he typically battles husak for last place. he has very good hands and for a big guy can very competently put the ball on the floor and shoot away from the basket, thus couple those skills with his already big body at age 18, the hope for a long term star. but he is no where near the inside player right now that say frericks is and lets himself get moved around and beat to rebounds and spots on the floor a lot. i.e. he plays soft. my guess is it will take a year of getting beat up to "get" the american game. i admittedly havent been to a practice in a month though, so maybe ian is a quick learner and has gotten it much quicker than i or a lot of others expected.

again, i think he has long term big time potential, but i will be shocked he is much more than a "breather" enabler this year. i would love to be wrong on this as it appears mr frericks is on his way to making me eat my words on him.

I also have not been to practice since November but I agree that IV in those practices is no where near as tough as tom but that does not surprise me. Give him 2 more years and I would guess that the difference would be pretty much eliminated.

The one reason that I have some hope is that the assistant coach at the last BC meeting said that IV was learning very quickly and that he was much improved already over the way he was playing when he first arrived.

My guess is that he will play the 5 in relief of Tom and the coaches will give him minutes on an increasing basis over january if he holds his own and is not overwhelmed. It will be interesting.

IV is a terrific prospect. He is a big kid, in the 6-10 to 6-11 range and weights 250# +/- a few pounds. His has very long arms. My guess is his wing span is greater than that of seven foot-plus BH. He is strong in the hips, legs and calf area. He is not a speedster, but he gets there. IV has very good hands. Uses both hands to score around the rim. He has very good offensive moves in the low post area. SLU's other post players have a difficult time keeping IV from scoring in their one-on-one post practice drills (remember I said against "SLU's other post players"). IV has a nice, soft arching shot with a range of 15-17 feet. IV is a willing and capable passer.

Personally, I think he needs to slam dunk more, rather than using finesse finger rolls. imo, his has made good progress since Oct18.

Questions:

How will IV defend 6-7 and 6-8 oppenents? I don't know.

How long will it take IV to get some comfort level in C-USA? I don't really know; however, IV is a quality student, so maybe IV is a quick bball student as well.

The Future:

I think IV's future is bright and I think the combination of IV, TF, JJ, BH and an April juco power forward signing bodes well for next years' post positions.

IV is only 18 years old and I believe he doesn't hit 19 until late next May. He did some weight training in Greece, mostly on his own as the Greek teams don't emphsize 12 months weight-training. IV has a goal to be a member of the 2008 Greek Olympic bball team. IV's nickname in Greece is "Cold Blood", because of his passive demeanor while on the court. IV has a 14 year old brother that is 6-5.

Patience, patience, patience, patience with IV, JJ, DC, BH .

Thanks for the report tseugnekillib. Sounds like it might not be too much to hope that Ian can give us Chris Braun level minutes and quality in relief of Tom at 5 after his first few games. If we get that, I shall be pleased. As for landing a juco PF, I am starting to think that the acedemic hurdles at SLU are just too tough in the JUCO ranks to allow us to compete successfully for quality recruits. As long as Tommie Liddell is eligible next year, I think we will be fine with JJ and Izik at 4. If we cannot find a quality 4 from the high school ranks in the spring of the size that Brad seeks--6'7" and up--we might want to think about a shorter, wider, muscular PF ala Jeff Harris (there should be several of those types of players available in the spring). I would like to see us have some muscle at 4 even if it comes in a shorter package. Hopefully JJ will keep with the weight training in the offseason and, again, bulk up.

Another possibility for next season is to start TF at power forward and either Husak or Ian at center. That would enable us to bring JJ off the bench at power forward and Husak/Ian off the bench at center. We would also be able to slide TF over to center and play JJ or Izik at the power forward position.

>Another possibility for next season is to start TF at power

>forward and either Husak or Ian at center. That would

>enable us to bring JJ off the bench at power forward and

>Husak/Ian off the bench at center. We would also be able to

>slide TF over to center and play JJ or Izik at the power

>forward position.

With Tom at PF (and Ian/Bryce at center), against most teams, I think we would have matchup problems on the defensive end away from the basket. Few college teams have a 250+ PF. Tom would have trouble guarding anybody with mobility away from the basket. Think of Tom at PF in the Arizona or G. Tech. games--no one for him to guard on the floor. Of course, by the same token, they would have matchup problems with us.

With the Pack defense, Tom Frericks (as a "power forward") would still have a foot in the lane unless his man had the ball. Then he would get out on him. The main problem would be if the opposing power forward is a triple-threat player and could either shoot a long-range shot or drive around Tom while he was trying to close out. If the opposing team has such a power forward, then have Tom guard a lesser threat and put a more mobile player (a small forward) on the triple threat. If the opposing power forward is not a threat from the outside, then there's no point in Tom chasing him around the floor.

The bottom line is that Frericks can play the four for the Billikens because there are a lot of zone principles in Brad Soderberg's defensive scheme.

thicks, think about the teams we have seen (and will see in conference) who have a 4 who can shoot the 15 footer (and out) and put the ball on the floor away from the basket. It is not an uncommon occurence. I am sure Tom can play 4 but for a good portion of the schedule it will be a problem to be managed--i.e., we still need the athletic 4 who can hang with the opposing athletic 4s we shall face. Hopefully JJ will be that guy. Also, we'll see how Ian and Bryce develop but next year may be too soon to completely turn the 5 slot over to them.

Let's say between Bryce, Ian, Tom, JJ, and Izik that we have the 4/5 covered for next year. What would you propose for the last scholarship? Maybe a wing to cover us on the chance Tommie is not eligible next year? The pat answer always is "best player available" but we do need more scoring punch than Reggie (especially with Fish and Sloan leaving).

All I remember people saying was that the rebounding stats were very similar for Ross and JJ when you adjust for Ross's more minutes played. That being said - it seems that Ross is not rebounding well using your arguement. What I believe a few have said is that Ross has less upside and that JJ has more upside. All that being said, Brad is the one who makes the decision.