Freshmen tonight: DNP, coach's decision (?)

I attended the game tonight and was pleased with what I saw after the first 10 minutes (give or take). It was good to see a win (it had been a couple of years since I'd attended a game the Bills won). The Billikens shot well and rebounded very well. That they scored 72 points is pleasing.

But.... I'm disturbed that Justin Johnson and Darren Clarke didn't get into the game at all despite the Billikens' winning by nearly 20. I find it discouraging that, outside of Reggie Bryant (and, to a lesser extent, Josh Fisher), the more athletically-gifted and offensively-minded Billikens aren't contributing much (even Izik Ohanon, aside from some nice rebounding, did little to excite). I enjoy watching a winning team, but even better is a winning team that excites with athleticism and talent. Teams too dependent upon jumpshooting don't go deep into the NCAA Tournament, as Bills fans know all too well from the 1994 and 1995 Bills teams. If Brad wants to upgrade the team's athleticism (quickness and leaping ability), then how can it help if the more athletic players he has sit on the bench behind some stiffs that are limited but play hard and smart? I think he has to find some way to motivate the gifted players to play (and pracice) just as hard and smart as the more limited players other than just not playing them, because if that's the case, those players will transfer and very athletic players won't commit to SLU.

It is clear that Coach Brad decided -- after reviewing tape-- that he needed to shorten his bench to get a winning combination.

You must forget that for many years freshman could not even play or suit up for the games. neither JJ nor DC have demonstrated anything that would suggest taht they have to be in the game. DC made a few shots in one game. JJ has made a couple of baseline jumpers and defended well for a few minutes at time. But they both are extremely green and need to work hard on fundamentals.

Right now we need to win games. If we tank then we can play for next year!!

I guess I can understand how inexperience would limit the minutes of Justin Johnson and Darren Clarke in key situations, but Anthony Drejaj's lack of experience didn't prevent him from playing during his freshman season last year. Also, with less than three minutes to play, the Bills led by approaching 20, yet the freshmen didn't play.

Perhaps JJ and DC are just freshmen on this squad at the wrong time. With the losses of Chris Sloan and Ross Varner, Johnson will have to be counted on next year. Then the question is whether or not Dwayne Polk's and Tommie Liddell's inexperience will force them to sit while Reggie Bryant, Anthony Drejaj, and Clarke get the bulk of the playing time in the backcourt. Personally, I don't see how those two could come in and not contribute immediately, even if they don't start (and I don't think they'll start as freshmen). If Kevin Lisch is a Billiken the following year, when would Clarke ever be a contributor?

I have to agree with Thicks, especially in the case of JJ. The question is putting the best team on the floor, not the best practice squad. The fact that Varner took only one shot in 21 minutes last night certainly limited his damage but having a longer more athletic JJ in the lineup adds a dimension to our squad (especially against the Arizonas and Georgia Techs of the world in which game Ross is lost). IMHO JJ is already better on the offensive end and the boards than and is the equal at defending. He just needs experience and more pounds. The only logical explanation I can think of for sitting JJ at this point in the season and giving his minutes to Varner is that Coach has decided Ian shall be ahead of JJ in the rotation when he becomes eligible after 1 more game. Thus, playing JJ now does not help the team later this year as it will be Ian fighting Ross for minutes at 4/5.

As to DC, he is rawer and newer to the system than JJ but I think he is the 2nd best shooter we currently have at 1-2. Drejaj found his stroke against Butler ... but he is proven to blow hot and cold. We need another scoring option in the backcourt. Would have been nice to have Morris.

"I can think of for sitting JJ at this point in the season and giving his minutes to Varner is that Coach has decided Ian shall be ahead of JJ in the rotation when he becomes eligible after 1 more game"

I think you nailed it. Also, if DC doesn't play now I don't see how he will ever play, with Tommie and Luke coming in next year.

I think Thicks has a valid point about last nights contest. After their one Butler mini run to cut it to 12 around the halfway point of the 2nd half...the Bills went on another run and put the game out of reach. They were comfortably ahead with 2-3 minutes left and Coach could have given both JJ and DC minutes then.

Both of these players appear to have big upsides and there would have been no harm to get them minutes at the end of last nights game.

>>I think you nailed it. Also, if DC doesn't play now I don't see how he will ever play, with Tommie and Luke coming in next year.<<

I had the same thought when evaluating the decision to sign DC instead of Blake Ahearn. Ahearn at least would get minutes on a team with Liddell and Luke as instant offense off the bench or to break any zone.

I DISAGREE ON THE AHEARN COMMENT. ONCE WE HAVE POLK, TOMMIE AND MEYER, ALONG WITH DREJAJ AND REGGIE, THERE WOULD BE NO MINUTES FOR AHEARN. THE NEXT YEAR WE HOPE TO GET LISCH SO THAT WOULD FIRM UP AHEARN'S POSITION ON THE DEEP BENCH. THEN HIS DAD WOULD HAVE GONE BONKERS AND BRAD WOULD HAVE HAD A TERRIBLE HEADACHE THAT HE DID NOT NEED.

CLARKE LOOKS TO BE ABLE TO ULTIMATELY DEFEND ONCE HE GETS STRONGER SO I SEE HIM GETTING MINUTES AS A DEFENSIVE STOPPER OFF THE BENCH AND A PERSON THAT COULD HIT THE THREE BALL. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE NEED BETTER PLAYERS WHO CAN IMPROVE THE TEAM. IF CLARKE CAN MATURE AND GET STRONG ENOUGH TO PLAY AHEAD OF NEXT YEARS RECRUITS THEN THAT WOULD BE GREAT. IF NOT, THEN THOSE PLAYERS NEED TO PLAY.

LET'S HOPE THAT FISH IS NOT SERIOUSLY HURT. I SEE OUR LOSS OF MORRIS AS THE BIGGEST FACTOR IN THE SUCCESS OF THIS YEAR'S TEAM BECAUSE WE HAVE NO EXPERIENCED QUALITY DEPTH WHATSOEVER AT THE 3 GUARD POSITIONS. IN FACT I THINK THAT IO WILL NEED TO PLAY A LOT OF THE 3 POSITION BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE THE DEPTH TO PLAY A THREE GUARD LINEUP FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.

great observation

i agree 100% with what you said, basically brad was looking for a freshman or two to step up like drejaj did last season, but niether took the oppurtunity when it was there, big ian is coming back soon and the conference season starts very soon also, time to tighten up all the loose screws if the billikens plan on making the ncaas with an automatic bid. good luck billikens and lets step it up to the next level.

I think an automatic NCAA bid would be a pretty remote possibility for this team, as the automatic bid goes to CUSA conference tourney winner. Now stranger things have happened (like 2000) but at least right now I don't see it with the 2002-03 team.

The win streak starts now! We go into Dayton and beat them everyone (ESPN/Bernie) will think it is a quality win but Dayton really isn't that good so we get some good publicity. We follow that up with a KSTATE spanking. We need to get rolling right into the tourney. Gotta bring up that rpi.

Double Double by a Billiken last night did K. Brown ever get a double double?

Drejaj needs to keep shooting well.

J. Fisher plays solid.

Bryant lights it up.

We keep doing those things with some quality defense and we can beat anyone.

a week or two ago. I posted that I wanted to see a shorter rotation. I'm glad that happened this way. I think Coach was originally playing players to try and see what he had. But, I think that strategy cost us some games. You have to find your team and then let them play. These guys have to get used to playing with each other and allow themselves to get in sync and get going. I loved how Brad only went two deep on the bench. Here's where I disagree though. You can't tell me that JJ can't give what gives at a minimum. He is more athletically gifted. I just don't understand it. JJ has never been in a game long enough to get himself adjusted and get things going. KNowing JJ will give at least Ross gives, I would think Coach would be playing him for future reasons. Ross will be gone next year and we have seen the best of what he has to offer. Let's let JJ show us what he can offer. I'd personally still like to see us go with 7 and have Ross be sitting. I will reassess things once Ian starts playing, but I think I still want to see a smaller rotation. As far as DC playing, I can't really argue with Coach on this one. Our top 7 guys have got to get adjusted to each other. I know this puts DC in a bad position, but what can you do. Hopefully, he can impress the hell out of everybody and fight for minutes next year, especially in the beginning of the season. We'll have to see. I hope Ian is a player. If he is, I'd like to us go 8 deep and not beyond.

my guess is that brad was going to use only 8 players assuming no foul trouble no matter what. he was probably making a point. which he did imo. not sure i agree with it as i love the upside of clarke and johnson, but he has to stick to his guns or his word is worthless with his players.

reggie's shot sure is something to behold. is he the best shooter since claggett on the billikens? i think so. in fact, i am not sure he isnt better, plus he drives better than claggett as well. closer to a better shooting love. love was stronger, but even as good of a shooter that love was, reggie is a better shooter.

it is obvious that justin is a better athlete. but brad has made the decision that justin has to put out in practice to get the times. until he does, he sits. what amazes me is that it is now going on what 15 months? justin still hasnt figured out that he busts his butt in practice he plays.

explain how justin johnson would have won those 4 games or how one player lost those 4. there are other players that underachieved more so than ross did in those losses imo. ross is ross. isnt going to get much better. but had some of our better players stepped up to there higher ability potential in those losses there is the real chance to win. there is where the focus should be not ross varner.

>> ross is ross. isnt going to get much better.<<

That's the whole point. Ross is not going to get better but JJ most likely would. We are not a very good team right now. The question is how do we get better. You shall notice that we saw much more of JJ against Arizona and G.Tech. than in other games ... and these are probably our best games to date (hard to tell when you soundly beat an undermaned Butler). The only reason I can come up with for the playing of Ross is that there is no point to trying to coach up JJ right now as the coach has determined that Ian V. is going to jump ahead of him in the rotation in 2 games. That would be a surprise to me as european big men typically have an adjustment period to US ball. I have nothing to go on but hope that I am presently surprised in 2 games by Ian.

"The only reason I can come up with for the playing of Ross is that there is no point to trying to coach up JJ right now as the coach has determined that Ian V. is going to jump ahead of him in the rotation in 2 games"

Coach would never admit that but I think that's exactly what is going on. Brad almost sounded like Ian's agent in the preseason.

it makes me wonder if the coaches have given up on trying to get justin's attention. my gosh, after 15 months he still doesnt understand he has to play hard all the time? that's a problem.

It will be interesting to see how IV develops. Personally, I don't expect anything significant (like a 10 and 10 ave) from IV this season. Except, he is 6-11/250 and that bulk could help in the post position. While JJ's playing time has been limited to 109 minutes thus far, he has an understanding of what he needs to do within the offense and what athleticism to expect on the court. IV has to learn both of those aspects. We will see how quick of a student IV is.

What I think Coach Brad is looking forward to and planning on, is the progression of both JJ and IV, plus BH, over the next twelve months.

Trying to be a patient Billiken fan is hell. I want to win now and develop players at the same time. My wishes my not be possible. I'll have to go with the decisions made by the coaching professionals.