View from afar...

slu72

it always hurts to lose to SMS, especially this year because of the whole MVC and Ahern affairs. I don't think we should judge Ahern vs Clark on the basis of one game or one season. Although, Ahern definitely seems to have quite an edge.

It is bothersome that SMS gets some decent players out of St.Louis that seem to fly under the radar. Then go on to develop into decent D1 talent. Especially when they play positions where we are weak. But this can't be laid on UB, Romar is to blame for shooting the moon with his WC dream recruits.

The one thing that still irks me about SLU's program is player development. You see other kids at other schools who weren't highly touted but after 2-3 years they develop into nice players, not great players, but nice players that help their team win. Going back to Baniak, Heinrich, and Tatum name we one SLU player that has shown marked improvement from the time he entered SLU? Mo Jeffers comes to mind, but I think his talent was always there he was just playing second fiddle to JLove. But look at all the non developers: DD, Braun, Varner, the above mentioned trio. You can win and get dance invites w/o a roster of Mickey D allstars, but the players have to develop their games. I don't see us doing this. Please show me where I'm wrong. I'm not judging UB in this area because he's still fairly new. For example, does anyone think JF and CS have brought their games to a much higher level than when they started? IO hasn't. AD seems to be regressing, maybe he's hurt? But I really think this issue of development has hurt us over the past six to seven seasons more than even losing prize recruits.

Marque Perry developed from a bench player into a first team all-conference player. Kenny Brown showed significant development in his two years at SLU. Chris Sloan is a much better basketball player than he was four years ago.

Given that we have had several different coaches over the recent period, it is hard to say it is coaching. Then you have to ask yourself is it the school in general but that makes no sense at all. Except the one thing we have been missing is that our players do not get a chance to practice where they play games and so they may never really reach a comfort zone that is necessary for young players to develop. Clearly, young players thrive off of familarity and confidence. I realize that they still have to go on the road to play but if you are feeling more comfortable and confident, you will more likely be able to play through the playing away issues. I think we with the new arena we will see an improvement in this area.

your development point, or lack of any, is a good point and a great question. i wonder what our staff would respond with that?

I've brought this up before. How many times do you hear Dicky V or some other commentator say this kid has developed nicely over the 2 or 3 years. Little known out of high school but has flourished. I just can't remember a player in the last 6-7 years who has done this for us. Most seem to stand still. Let's try this on this issue, what players over the last 6-7 years moved nowhere or went backwards even or just never got the hang of big time hoops.

My top five:

1.) Baniak-so inconsistent

2.) Braun- so soft

3.) Diener- so slow

4.) Tatum- no feel for the game

5.) IO-just doesn't get the physicality of it all

Now the important question, who did develop into a nice player:

1.) Mo Jeffers

2.) Sloan-wonder what he would have had for a career if he played #3

3.) Fish-forced into PG status, but good defender. Should be more of a leader out there.

I can't think of two others who have come along to the point where you can say wow, he's gotten a lot better.

We haven't had anywhere near the talent base required to develop several good players. Floyd McClain - injured and left the program, Jason Edwin - flunked out, Randy Pulley - flunked out, John Seyfert - homesick transfer, Ryan Hollins - opted out of LOI, Nick Kern - didn't qualify. If we could retain our players, our coaching staff would at least have a chance of developing them. Drejaj and IO are only 2nd year players so I'm not exactly ready to slit my wrist over their "lack of development".

drejaj has yet to have his best game of the season, we have seen signs of him coming around against arizona, now he has been injured for the last three games including the butler game, good game by the way and before the injury drejaj was top in steals for conference usa and top 5 in the nation, this injury has slowed him up a bit, but i believe he will come roaring back as he did a few nights ago against butler, go bilikens go good luck and god bless. these guys work hard. rome was not built in a day, week, or year.