According to Hoop Scoop

SLUDrew

From Hoop Scoop:

"The Billikens also appear to be the favorite for 6'5 Terry Evans from St. Louis (Cardinal Ritter) MO, who is an incredible athlete, but, who has fallen off the radar screen after not doing the necessary rehab after having orthoscopic surgery, and 6'7 Matt Shaw from Carbondale (H.S.) IL, who is ranked #215 nationally in the senior class by the HOOP SCOOP. However, Schmidt (from Roy and Harv) thinks Shaw is just about a done deal for Southern Illinois."

Granted this might not bode well for the signing of Shaw, but I would love Terry Evan to be in the fold. I guess he has not rehabbed as quickly as desired, but this kid is an incredible talent. The last ranking I saw had him as the 52nd highest rated player in the class of '04. He was as high as 10 before the surgery.

The following blurb was written about Terry Evans last summer after the Nike Camp:

The best junior in camp - 64 Jr Terry Evans from St. Louis (Cardinal Ritter) MO - was also a major surprise, just like Ebi, who was the highest ranked junior in the camp last year by the HOOP SCOOP, was a year ago.

Dream with me here:

Billikens '04

Polk PG

Liddell 2g

Evans 3G

Ohanon F

Vouyokas C

I like the looks of that lineup. I magine how good they could be in a few years.

It would concern me that neither of our PFs under that scenario (no Shaw and we go with Izik and JJ at PF) are bangers. I think Shaw is the kind of kid who would benefit greatly from our weight training program and bulk up each year. Still, if Matt Shaw goes to SIU, there are more quality fish in the sea still outside the nets.

I'm not sure what to think about that. Although Evans sounds like a hell of a player and an incredible athlete, do we take another chance on an injured player. All accounts are that Polk has recovered fully, but nobody has seen him play yet (or has somebody?). Could it be that this other spring commitment Brad was talking about was Evans? Maybe he wants to see how he is this season and will offer in the spring?

Nashville,

That's a good point. Maybe Coach would prefer to wait until spring to see how Terry does in his senior season.

However, if he returns to form, you run the risk of losing him to another program. Its a tough situation for coach to be in.

One one hand you have Terry Evans who has a HUGE upside, but a questionable future, and on the other you have a tough kid in Shaw, who probably is not as "talented" as Evans but you know what you will get.

not sure why we would want to take another wing this year. especially if we truly are in the playing field for lisch.

Lisch already has an offer on the table so I don't see Terry getting an offer from SLU with all the other guards/swingmen we have. In addition, Terry is literally sitting out until Cardinal Ritter's first practice. Way back in February, I feared that Terry wouldn't be the same after his injury and so far it's not looking good.

I'm for taking Evans if we get the chance ... He was recruited by OU and other top programs before the injury and was without a doubt a top 25 program.

Most people now recover from knee surgery stronger than before ... even if we have to red shirt him his freshman year to help him heal. How about Polk, Lidell, and Evans in the backcourt. WOW.

I think it's worth the gamble. It we wait on Evans and he is fully recovered ... who knows where he goes.

i am not a medical expert by any means, but isnt there a huge difference in the knee injuries of polk and evans? polk broke a bone, while terry tore tendons or cartlidge. i have always assumed bones heal, but tendon/cartlidge tears never really repair themselves and there really isnt procedures to make them better or the same. is that wrong?

Like I said, in one of their ranking from late 2002, hoop scoop had Terry Evans ranked as the 10th best recruit in the class. He dropped to 52 by the end of the season due to injury, and who knows where he would rank now.

My point is, is that we are going to have to take some risks if we want this program to grow into a power. Let's face it, if Evans had never gotten injured, the likelihood of us signing him would have dropped off significantly.

I am sure Kevin Lisch is a nice ballplayer, but with all due respect, if we keep signing the Kevin Linsch's of the world we stay where we are. We will always be that scrappy Billiken bunch that plays tough D, scores in the 50's, and finishes around .500.

Coach knows he has to take risks. That's why he is still pursuing Evans, signed Liddell, signed and Polk. All three of those guys have question marks, but then again all three could take this program to places it has never been.

I agree with most of SLUDrew's post.

I think SLU needs to take some risks with players like Dwayne Polk (injury) and Tommie Liddell (grades?). I've said this before, but if Polk was healthy he would have been recruited by a lot more schools than SLU and Valpo. If Liddell didn't have the questions concerning his grades, he would have been a hot prospect.

Terry Evans is a similar story. The guy has a ton of talent and has had injury problems the last year. Before that, when he was healthy, Evans had Top 25 schools after him.

I don't think SLU is actively recruiting Evans at this time, but they probably should be.

The part of the previous post I disagreed with was the labeling of Kevin Lisch. There aren't many people on this board that have seen him, but Lisch is the real deal. He's a good point guard prospect and SLU would love to have him.

- Nate

I have not seen him either but I trust BRoy and 3-Star's evaluation of Kevin. The Billikens will be extremely fortunate if they can secure his services and it would be a huge coup for our program. I believe the coaching staff would say the same thing too if they could.

I didn't mean to get into debating the skills of Kevin Lisch. A lot of you guys on here obviously know a lot more about him than I do. Evidently he is the real deal, and would fit in great at SLU. Gret, I would love to have him.

My point was that if you have a talent like Evans available, you have to take a chance on him. What if Tommie doesn't qualify, of Dwayne's kness acts up, then where are we? For my money, you can never have too much talent.

If they are all here and playing, then we could run three guard sets and run all over teams.

Unless you have a GLARING need, which I don't think we do right now, you take the best talent available. At least, that's what I would do.

I definetly think we need to take risks too. But we have already taken two risks. As you stated above, what if Polk's knee never fully recovered and if Liddell doesn't qualify? Then we pick up Terry and it turns out he too is injured. We have then wasted 3 out of 4 schollies. There has to be a few sure things in there...

"My point was that if you have a talent like Evans available, you have to take a chance on him."

I don't think you understand the severity of Evan's knee problem. He just had another surgery on his knee last month and is shutting it down until next month. I don't expect that he'll even play significant minutes until sometime next year.

It seems to me that the new 5/8 rule would reduce the number of risk players you can recruit/sign.

If high school seniors player A and player B are both academic risks, and high school player C is an health risk, I don't believe you can offer/sign more than one of these players.

If you take all three of these players and if two of them don't pan out because of academic or health reasons I believe you are putting your roster in jeopardy, especially under the 5/8 rule.

Consider the above scenario and then add an upperclassman who is seriously injuried in a game or practice, and add an upperclassman who leaves for lack of playing time. With the 5/8 rule your roster could be in real trouble.

If SLU can only offer four scholarships this year that means Floyd McClain wasn't a junior academically and that SLU won't be able to replace his scholarship for two years! Thus, SLU is limited to a

12 man scholarship roster for the next two years. Throw in a couple of risk recruits this signing period and you begin to see the potential problem!

I have come to agree with the thought that SLU will have its most success when playing third, fourth and fifth year players. If redshirting is a part of this process, then you can't have too many academic and health risk recruits.

sludrew said, "I am sure Kevin Lisch is a nice ballplayer, but with all due respect, if we keep signing the Kevin Linsch's of the world we stay where we are. We will always be that scrappy Billiken bunch that plays tough D, scores in the 50's, and finishes around .500."

i'll be sure to tell bill self, bruce weber and mike davis what a huge mistake they are making recruiting kevin lisch instead of an injured terry evans. you obviously have never seen kevin lisch play.