The OFFICIAL trash Lance since he didn't.....

choose us thread....

Ok Just kidding but the one thing we need that Lance, reputedly, couldn't give us is to play as a traditional, banging, power forward, to mix it up inside. We've got guards to spare though not enough of the kind of shooters that Lance is. Sure I'm disappointed but not suicidal and not ready to throw in the towel for next year.

Waiting for Oldman 72 (sorry I just can't help myself) to throw himself out a window...............

i agree. this is the least upset i have been about losing out on a recruiting battle in a long time.

i would have loved to have had a shooter of stemler's skills as the fourth option on the team. but we are talking fourth option. i.e. he wasnt the program maker/breaker.

the biggest need of this team is still a performing consistent power forward.

This is SLU 72's secretary reporting he slashed his wrists with a rubber knife while jumping from his ground level office....sorry to report he's doing fine. If IV goes pro, however, he promises to do something more dramatic....like go back to school to earn another degree...he's considering Duke, UNC, UCLA, Arizona, Ohio State...someplace where before the grim reaper calls he will have an alma mater in the dance.

Rich, why not me?

Won't it be nice if someday SLU can actually compete against the big boys and win a recruiting battle "heads up" against the Indiana's of the world. To many times we have been listed as "also considering" only to be never really considered. It is a combination of factors, Big 10 vs. A-10, IU vs. SLU, Tradition vs. outdated Tradition that likely drove Lance to Bloomington (because I am sure the Kelvin was 100% on the up and up while talking with LS) but hopefully someday SLU will be able to fight off the big dogs. Not sure who to blame for this, if anybody, but what Brad does in the next few weeks to shore up the team will speak volumes about where this program is headed.

he would have been a good addition especially for his perimiter shooting and rebounding. Be interesting to see how he does at IU and the B-10, very physical league. Also, if his defense is suspect, he will be eaten alive by the likes of MSU, Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin. This hurts more on the level that we lose a decent recruit just because of the big school name more than anything UB did wrong. Hey, can't knock the kid. Good luck.

I've found that when losing out on recruits, I go often through the five stages of the Kubler-Ross model. I think I'm currently in stage 2:

1) Denial ("That Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article has to be wrong!")

2) Anger (See my Randy Pulley post)

3) Bargaining

4) Depression ("We'll never make it back to the tournament")

5) Acceptance ("Hey, we still have Liddell, Lisch, Ian (hopefully), an improved Danny Brown and Dwayne Polk, Obi's back, we'll have Knollmeyer, a three-point shooter in DM - maybe things aren't so bad.")

Personally, if we could only get one of the two, I think Knollmeyer will help us more in the long run. JUCOs usually have an adjustment period and you get one good year out of them. Knollmeyer is a real 4 with 4 years of eligibility. Lance was probably going to play more at 3 for us than 4. At 4, we have JJ, Obi, and Knollmeyer. At 3 we have Danny B., Luke M., and Dustin. Shall we see the Danny Brown from the GW game re-emerge this coming season? It would give the team a big boost.

Personally, I think that LS was a great fit for our team and our conference. While losing him doesn't mean that we won't make the Big Dance this year, I certainly think our chances would be a lot better with him on the team.

everything you just said is true box. however, we just have to move on. luckily it isnt a matter of an empty cubboard with the returning roster. there have been a lot of years that i would have killed to have back 7 out of our top 8 players and our definite top 3 players and scorers. how many years in the past have we been here asking,

"who is going to score next year?" due to the fact that our top couple of scorers were graduating. i like our chances.

the key is the work that knollmeyer, ikeakor and johnson do to make themselves better. if our pf position is covered in a more traditional way, i like our chances to get to the second round of the ncaa tourney. if our top option at the power forward spot is luke meyer playing out of position again, that is upsetting, however, even that should give us as good of a season as last year at the very least.

Hopefully all this feel good stuff helps some of you. I am not jumping off buildings or having to tell me things to make me feel better. I am disappointed but life has disappointed me many times and this won't be the last. For those of you who are big Luke fans, you got what you wanted - a chance for Luke to prove he has a shooting touch. With OI, JJ and AK on board, there is no earthly reason for Brad to play Luke at PF. Even if Brad thinks Luke is the best he has at that position at the begining of the season - has to look long term and that is to give playing time to AK and IO and whatever his ulcer can handle with JJ. Luke should be playing the wing and showing what shooting prowess he has - if he can come through then great - him and Danny doing so would be a a very good development. This has happened before with juniors so it could happen again. If Luke does not improve his shooting then he has only himself to blame for sitting on the bench.

you are exactly right cheese. this is an opportunity galore not just for dwayne polk and danny brown, but for luke meyer.

If LS can transform himself in JUCO ball, why can't LM or DB? We need one of those two to step up big because of this loss. We cannot win if KL is our only perimiter threat. For LM to have the shot though Obi, JJ, or AK has to fill the four. As always with the Bills it comes down to the 4.