NIT selection live at 8:00 Central

kwyjibo

ESPNU and ESPNNews will be showing it. My guess would be SLU is out but I saw one NITologist (Mark Blaudschun)predicted SLU in.

There is no history with this committee so who knows (the last 6 or 7 years the NIT has been very strong users of the RPI--much more so than NCAA). The allowance of under .500 teams and several guarantee bids gives SLU a worse chance. Although if 1 or 2 teams decline an invite (a lot people do not know that a few teams do not want to play in the NIT even if asked) maybe.

The NCAA bracketologists did a bad job forecasting this year.

With Missouri St out of the Dance, I agree it probably improves SLU's NIT hopes. On Monday, the Blues are at Savvis, Tuesday is open, but the next week is Disney on Ice. Unless SLU can play Tuesday in the NIT, Thursday and Saturday are open at the Family Arena. But we may be heading to Springfield. Well, let's just hope we are selected for the NIT.

Some of the big name coaches can turn the NIT down and get away with it. If you are Brad you have to take it or else you risk pissing the NCAA off and screwing yourself in the future. A big name coach can thumb his nose at the NCAA and they will not be able to screw him in the future. Actually, if we get into the NIT, SMS deserves to host the game not us. They will sell out their 8XXX seats no problem - we may not get many more to the game up here anyway. Besides, this team has to learn how to win a big game on the road so if we get in then I say hit the road and use it to gain a little more confidence and exp. for the future.

McGuire turned down the NCAA because he thought he was screwed having to travel so far for his first round. Because of that snub, the NCAA mandated thereafter that you have no choice. Nowadays, no one would do that anyway of course.

Marquette won the NIT that year.

I think big name teams who have fired coaches have turned down bids. The year UMass fired Bruiser Flint they turned down an NIT bid (they were going to be playing away in first-round game so financially speaking it would have been a loss).

Was at the finals of that NIT at Madison Square Garden the year Marquette won it all. I believe it was 1970.

Marquette had Dean 'the dream' Meminger. They played LSU with Pete Maravich. Pete was on the DL for that game and did not play. Fans, understandably, were dissappointed. Consolation game was Army, coached by Bobby Knight, and St John's. I believe St John's had 'Big' Billy Paultz and Joe DePre.

That's when the NIT was worth watching.

>Marquette beat St. John's in the final. Army over LSU in

>the consolation.

One of Al's top 3 teams. Finished 28-1 that year. Only '74 (lost in finals to NC State) and '76 (regional final loss to undefeated Indiana) teams probably ahead of that team. Ironically the 77 squad, the national title team, probably ranks behind those 3. Lost last 3 home games and barly made the tourney before the run to the title.