Bradenburg & Griffey

He was offered by SLU before he ever played a HS game. That's the good news. The bad news is that he is already very much on the radar of the big boys on Tobacco Road as well as the not-so-big-right-now boys in CoMo. There will be a lot of dogs in this fight if he continues to progress as a player.

... let's say the above thread is true ... that Griffey has an "offer in hand." And there's another thread running around that Leon has an "offer in hand" as well. And maybe even Suggs. Let's set aside the truth or validity here and assume that this is good, solid information.

You have been talking it up recently about how SLU can't or doesn't get the local kids. Yet, as far as I can tell, here are three locals kids all with offers in hand who, for some reason completely valid and of their own, they have not bothered to end the recrutiing process and offer verbals to the SLU staff. Given your stanced, and accepting the above as true, what more can SLU do? Or are you advocating that since SLU can't seem to get these "big" names, they should offer every other player in the St. Louis Metro area .... despite the fact that St. Louis is not known as an area that produces that much college-levle talent per capita as say a Memphis, or a Chicago or wherever?

Why would any player verbal a school so early in the process??-- unless, of course, he has a very unusual and singular desire to play at a particular school?? It would have to be either an iconic program (like Damon Bailey verballing to Indiana very early, like 9th grade), or perhaps it would be a son of an alumnus of the school.

I think that in these cases, it is pretty unrealistic to think any of these guys would want to verbal to SLU as a sophomore. I say of course go for it, SLU, and it would be very nice and flattering if they did. But we are talking about pretty young guys here.

I could see a junior right now verballing for the coming fall NLI signing period (especially with the season almost done, or done for most teams already). Beyond that I doubt if we should expect younger guys to verbal.

there is no way i would shotgun scholarship offers to anyone with an ounce of potential. those early offers should be offered judiciously. imo, it would not only be reckless to offer everyone with a ball in his hand, but also cheapen the offer. tyler griffey needs to know that he is "special to be offered as an incoming freshman.

>I think we should offer them scholarships right now. They

>are big kids and have some skills. I dont think we need

>anyone from the Vashon Squad. The school has never produced

>a good college player in the last 20 years.

McKinney is a good college player. Expectations were lofty and he didnt live up to those standards WE expected, but He had a fine career. He finishes with over 1000 points, 400 rebs and top 5 in school history in assists and he started for an NCAA tourney team.

Tyler Griffey and Scott Suggs have scholarship offers from a couple schools.

Mizzou has really made a push for Griffey already. I've been told the Tigers had two coaches scouting Griffey a couple days after Quin Snyder resigned. Of course, the new coaching staff may feel differently about Griffey, but I doubt it.

Suggs apparently has offers from Washington, Illinois and SLU, as well as a couple others (Southern Illinois) and heavy interest from Arizona.

I've said all along I think SLU should offer Brandenburg. He's a 6-foot-11 15-year-old who is getting stronger and more aggressive. He could be a very nice fit for the Billikens in a couple years.

I don't know that Vashon's Leon Powell has an offer from SLU. I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but wouldn't be shocked if the Billikens are waiting to offer either.

People here can believe what they want about reported scholarship offers. I'm not going to write something in the newspaper unless I have the information from a couple sources and believe it to be credible. People here didn't believe it when I wrote that Luke Meyer had a scholarship offer as a junior, so believe what you want.

There are posters on this board with good sources and credible information. Other posters simply state things that aren't true and try to pass the info off as fact.

- Nate

Nate -- what have you observed over the years in terms of underclassmen actually verballing before their senior year, or junior year? Does this happen often? Has SLU received verbals very much in recent years from juniors or sophomores? or ever??

Other than elite programs, how often do the SLUs, Creightons, SIUs, Charlottes, St. Joe's, or Temples of the world get serious, big-time verbals from juniors, let alone sophomores (let alone freshmen)??

Also, I wonder how common it is for verbals to turn into non-commitments. this would be very problematic for the schools, it seems to me. Does this happen much? For example, a junior commits verbally, the scholarships run out, the school quits recruiting for that class, then the kid backs out.

I know Creighton has had 2 hs sophomores verbal recently. One was Josh Dotzler, the starting pg this year who also was leading team in minutes played until an injury that has kept him out of the last 6 games or so. The other was this summer right before the start of his sophomore year, Antoine Young. Both are from the same high school in Omaha and their hs head coach has a good relationship with Altman and Creighton.

I also know Northern Iowa received an early commit from a small town Iowa 7'0", I believe this was during the summer before his sophomore season as well. If I remember he was at N Iowa for a summer camp and received the offer and verballed. I am pretty sure he has signed now and will be a freshman next year.

A key for all three was staying local and playing in front of family. Also the fact that the local school was successful I am sure played a part in this.

the 7 footer is from a small catholic school, bellevue marquette, located on the mississippi river. he stated the other day that if mcdermott leaves uni he is going with him. his team made the iowa boys state tourney and will play next week.

the high school where my wife teaches, has a 6-8 sophmore that uni is recruiting but i have not heard that they have offered. his team knocked off the top ranked team in the state, class 2-a, this past sat and will play in the state tourney next week.

>Nate -- what have you observed over the years in terms of

>underclassmen actually verballing before their senior year,

>or junior year? Does this happen often? Has SLU received

>verbals very much in recent years from juniors or

>sophomores? or ever??

Generally, kids commit earlier in football than they do in basketball. I can't recall any early commitments to SLU, but I haven't been in St. Louis for very long.

In basketball, usually you'll see the top programs get early commitments — not so much for a school like St. Louis University.

In the case of these underclassman like Griffey, Suggs and Brandenburg, I think you'll see those three wait a while before committing somewhere. Griffey and Suggs will get major attention from schools and Brandenburg will start piling up offers soon.

Unless Griffey commits early to Mizzou (to whoever the next coach is), or Suggs commits early to Washington, I don't think those kids will make decisions anytime soon. That timing should help the Billikens. If SLU has a good year next season, combined with the new arena (hopefully) being built, it should make the Billikens a much better option for all three kids — and any other local hoops prospect.

- Nate

>>Nate -- what have you observed over the years in terms of

>>underclassmen actually verballing before their senior year,

>>or junior year? Does this happen often? Has SLU received

>>verbals very much in recent years from juniors or

>>sophomores? or ever??

>

>Generally, kids commit earlier in football than they do in

>basketball. I can't recall any early commitments to SLU, but

>I haven't been in St. Louis for very long.

>

>In basketball, usually you'll see the top programs get early

>commitments — not so much for a school like St. Louis

>University.

>

>In the case of these underclassman like Griffey, Suggs and

>Brandenburg, I think you'll see those three wait a while

>before committing somewhere. Griffey and Suggs will get

>major attention from schools and Brandenburg will start

>piling up offers soon.

>

>Unless Griffey commits early to Mizzou (to whoever the next

>coach is), or Suggs commits early to Washington, I don't

>think those kids will make decisions anytime soon. That

>timing should help the Billikens. If SLU has a good year

>next season, combined with the new arena (hopefully) being

>built, it should make the Billikens a much better option for

>all three kids — and any other local hoops prospect.

>

>- Nate

Lisch seems to be a good example of a guy who obviously wanted to come here and was recruited hard and offered early by us, but he waited until the summer before his senior year to give us a verbal. The junior year and summer before senior year tends to be about the right time for early commitments. I don't think too many good players truly want to commit early for fear of something changing. Coach leaves, program goes on probation, etc.

>Nate-

>

>Do you know if SLU has any interest in Stokes from Career

>Academy....and if they do, do you think they will offer

>him...thanks.

They already have one undersized point guard. I don't think they have any interest in SLU. Well I have never heard anything from anyone of the coaches about being interested in Stokes. I know he has three offers from SIU, MO State, and Wisconsin Milwaukee (I think). He is leaning toward MO State and Carbondale are pretty much neck and neck. They are going to wait to see how this summer goes before making a decision.

... but this is in direct response to Vee who keeps advocating SLU offer these guys. My comeback is that if we offer, why don't they commit? The two-way street thing. Vee seems to want to put this all on SLU's back when we all know it doesn't rest solely there.

What if Powell and Suggs and Griffey all do indeed have solid SLU offers already there? If its that serious, and they have them, to question is them to them why not? Vee never asks that one and I'm only trying to show the street going both ways.

Frankly, it would be on one hand tough to offer .... that to me is really gambling on a kid continuing to develop or not get hurt or whatever. But in today's day and age, where kids commit to guys like Huggins and not even schools, what are you going to do?

Ramblings of a madman and leave it at that.

it's a tough tightrope i dont wish on anyone being a college recruiter. if they dont offer the kid, the programs that do, will undoubtedly come back with "well how bad do they really want you?" to the recruit (see matt shaw and matt painter). now when you decide that you indeed do want that recruit, you got to climb that hill. (btw, i have heard that is exactly going to be our battle for stemler. other programs are reminding him they were there with an offer first)

on the other hand, you cant reasonably offer everyone either. i think an evening of talking about the woes of recruiting with the coaches, not names, but the battles and issues, would be a fascinating discussion.

>"Also the fact that the local school was successful I am

>sure played a part in this."

>

>Bingo! Funny how Nebraska never seems to get any commits

>from sophomores.

Jake Mulheisen committed to Nebraska as a sophomore. He was a Nebraska native and four-year starter. Came and graduated with former area guard Corey Simms and Dan Heimos from Gibault was also in that recruiting class. Heimos later left school. Gibualt is the same high school that produced Stemler.

Heimos ended up at SIUE and was pretty good for them for two years. Also Nebraska reportedly early offered Enright(can't remember his first name) out of either Lincoln or Omaha, who went to NU one year and then transfered out to St Francis PA I think. These early offers were by Nee because people in the state thought he was not paying enough attention to instate talent. This was an effort to show he was, but by that point Nee had too many people that wanted to see him gone for various reasons that he ended up being fired. It was Barry Collier who had to decide if he wanted to maintain these verbals which he did. NU under Nee did have some success and Creighton wasn't nearly as successful back then so to high school players NU was the good team. Now it is Collier's time that is coming to an end most likely after this season.