Linda Bruno needs to respond to this fiasco

It borders on conspiracy theory, but it makes some sense. I think the A-10 officials are pissed that they have to travel so far now that SLU is in the league. Couple that with Brad never having seen any of them before (whereas virtually every opposing coach seems to have been chummy with them during games), and we've seen the most incompetent officiating imaginable.

But I agree -- Ms. Levin needs to carry tape with her to the A-10 tournament and pull the commissioner aside and make a case. Even Bernie hopped on today and pointed out that the end of the game was a travesty.

the travel theory makes sense. why not hire 20% of the officials from the midwest since 3 teams are from the midwest would that be a stretch?

my other theory is that the best east coast officials are already hired by the acc and the big least thus we get third pick at best. couple that with the travel concerns, i could see officials passing on being an a-10 ref.

maybe linda should open the wallet and make it worthwhile for the good officials to work for the a-10 instead of paying for grade school refs.

It would be interesting to see what the A10 pays vs.the other top leagues. My guess is they pay quite a bit less. If my memory serves I seem to remember Woolard talking about CUSA having to raise pay and benefits to attract the top officials. As I said once before Wellmer,O'Neil and the boys never looked so good.

Didn't we see a list of the officials prior to the season? I thought there were at least a few stationed in the midwest.

IMHO the home location isn't the issue, but the familiarity with the present coaches and the 'play your way onto the ESPN schedule' attitude in the A10 that has trickled down to the referees.

mhg

we've seen sanzere, higgins and pollard once each this year i believe.

everyone should truly take a minute and let ms bruno know what you think.

I do believe in the newcomer theory. It seems like we get hosed as the new kids on the block. Last night's game was a joke. I know I'm a homer, but the ending was horrific. Sadly, there is no reason to believe it will be any better in the conference tourney. I looks like we need decisive victories.

Did anyone notice in the second half, one of the UD players called time out while falling out of bounds. The problem was, despite the fact that he never had possession of the ball, he yelled out "Time out!!" two or three times and the refs gave it to him.

i've been told that the head of A-10 officials was at the game last night and felt that overall the game was handled well. there lies the problem.

This poster sincerely hopes the A-10 knows there is a problem, a big problem, because there is. But the game result will not change.

It would truly be a travesty if SLU is denied a post-season bid because of what happened last night. Even though SLU did not play all that well, the pathetic officiating was the immediate cause of the defeat. If the ref does not make that phantom foul call on Lisch, who knows what the outcome of that game would have been?

I don't like UB's new calm attitude. When he gets upset nhe goes over to the bench and sits down.

I say we insert Wendell Bryant to run a ref 3 rows deep. He can come up a sideline and whoever has the ball makes an errant pass and WB runs him while going for the ball. Either that or a bad pass right square in the nose. Yes I am suggesting violence and I am 100% for it.

I'm going to suggest to her that they only use 2 refs on the floor and the other can sit in the open seat next to me. It is very obvious that the view is better.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

i dont see how last night cost us an ncaa bid. imo it has been obvious for a while our chance at the ncaa tourney outside of winning the tourney was slim and none.

however, i was impressed that ms bruno responded to my e-mail. i was not happy that the lead official thinks they are doing a good job. i pointed out to ms bruno in a second reply that the fouls were 20-18 for the game. i.e. they had only blown the whistle about 10 times per half on each team. so the refs "let them play". well if that is well established, and i would think after 44 minutes and 54 seconds that is enough time to understand the trend of the game, i.e. established, then a ref is going to call a phantom foul that can decide the game at the foul line? that makes no sense.

i pointed out it wasnt just that one call/game. that in my opinion the consistency and sensibility of their pattern of officiating has just been bad.

she did very graciously compliment the saint louis effort this year and expressed how pleased everyone at the Atlantic 10 is to have us as part of the conference.

it amazes me that all levels of basketball continue to even allow that mad scramble timeout option. it would seem that the team trying to call a timeout should have clear possession and be in complete control to allow any timeout to be called.

vouyoukas's over the back was bad as well. that was an example where the ref assumed that ian would end up on the opposing players shoulder and blew the whistle before the play was done. however at the same moment ian pulled in the rebound with out even touching the player.

as to the shoe's, i assume you all had been working the refs in the first half to call that 3 seconds in the lane? that was great work as i havent seen 3 seconds called at the savvis since the girls game of the 2003 coca cola shootout.

I wasn't necessarily meaning the NCAA. I was thinking about the NIT too. There are some concerns there as well, partly due to the new edict to reserve bids for lower conference champs who don't win their post-season tournaments. Wouldn't it be good for this young SLU team to get to participate in the post-season? Overall, it has to be considered a good year. And this team deserves a shot at post-season ball. SLU hoops is on the upswing.

I've basically thought all along that SLU had to win the A-10 Tournament to make the NCAA, which is still the case.