PF for next year

I know most of us are in agreement that the bills are missing a true four that can be consistant, my thoughts are that Stemler is not a true four and will not get many more rebounds than Luke does. I do not think there is a four in this years area class that will do much better than any of our optipns now ( JJ Lance Stemler, OI, or LM.) We do have to remember that with Luke as our starter the bills have gone 7-1 or 8-1 (did he start the Saint Joes game?) and he is only getting better with time. with the abudance of 4's in the 07 class I think it is likely we see Luke start next year.

in looking for a power forward, we're not necessarily looking for a player to replace Luke at the 4, but rather a 4 to replace Drejaj and then slide Luke over to the 3. I still think a guy like Stemler works great, because he'd be another guy who can shoot the open jumper when Drejaj leaves and should be able to rebound better than Drejaj.

I'm still hoping Danny Brown can be that guy at the 3, We have seen he can be a good shooter and very good finisher, he is not short at 6-4 and is much faster than Luke so he will help us on the fast break, He also can be a pesky defender. I HOPE he can be all of the above if not I see Luke in the 3.

In terms of a rebounding 4 for next year, I think Walls would fill the bill. That would be his strength. And even if Stemler has limitations as a rebounder, he still brings more size to the table than Luke, and is much more of an offensive threat (apparently) than JJ or VN.

Since this is nothing but conjecture, how about:

Walls playing the 4, and Luke moving to the 3 in the starting lineup. Hopefully that's your best team, both offensively and defensively. Then bring Stemler, DB & DP off the bench -- this gives you some offensive firepower off the bench. If Obi is ready to play next year, I'm wondering if Stemler could play the 3 at all? DP, DB, Stembler, Obi & BH -- not a bad 2nd 5. And the wildcard continues to be JJ.

Or if these guys decide not to come to SLU, UB will figure out another way to get it done. In the meantime . . .

Beat Dayton

Everyone, repeat after me-OBI, OBI, OBI, OBI, OBI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does most of this Board forget a guy we already have? If we had gotten a commitment from him along with Dustin a few months ago none of us would be in a panic mode now over the 4 position. But since he is already in the fold we act like he is not here.

(I sure hope he is good as I think)

OBI,OBI,OBI,OBI,OBI! The 4 for next year is already on campus. If this kid is healthy I believe he will make us all very proud. Look for JJ to have a great senior year. I feel bad for the kid as UB has not given JJ the support he deserves. This kid turned down some big time ofers to attend SLU and look where it has gotten him. I for one will be his biggest fan next season. JJ and OBI will wreck at the 4 next season.

I love Luke Meyer but not at the 4 next season. LM is just not a 4. This team will be much stronger with LM playing the 3 next year.

No offense but JJ was asked NOT to come to the powerhouse of the Big Twelve.....K-State.....

What other "big time offers" did he have exactly????

I also question the "lack of support" line. Based on what????

On a team that is starting Luke at power forward with JJ growing roots at the end of the pine, who do you blame, oh great basket ball scout????? Is Brad a petty dictator or is JJ incapable of figuring out his role here?????

nostatic said, "I'm wondering if Stemler could play the 3 at all?"

i think 3 is where he should play. i dont think he can play pf. at least not as well as luke meyer. and i want luke meyer to play sf.

I don't think you need to have a "savior" come in and be the power forward next year.

Justin Johnson, who has the size and body to be a productive pf, will be a senior. If he doesn't have a sense of urgency to step up for his senior year, he will have missed a golden opportunity that he will never get back.

Obi Ikeakor, who is 6-foot-8 and 240+ pounds, will be a redshirt freshman. He came to SLU with a lot of potential, but still suffering from the injury and carrying too much weight to be effective. After one year in the system, he should be able to contribute. Plus, that being the case, he should be able to either push JJ or pass him for minutes.

The center position is in good hands, with Ian obviously, but also an improving Bryce Husak. What's to say Husak doesn't improve to the point where Brad Soderberg will have to play him with Ian for stretches? Those two inside, with the wealth of guards on the perimeter, could be effective.

Now ... looking at potential guys coming in.

Stemler has decent but not great size. He is a shooter and a scorer. If he comes to SLU, he could see time at the 3 and the 4 depending on matchups/opposing lineups. Stemler's addition means that other kids will have to step up for playing time — JJ, Obi, Luke Meyer, Danny Brown — which makes the team better all-around and deeper because of that competition.

Same goes for Dustin Maguire. He is being brought in as a 2 or a 3 and was told that the Billikens wouldn't be bringing in another guard with this class. Dustin sees himself as being a Luke Meyer type of player and expects to be a supporting player while Meyer is still a Billiken, and then stepping up to a bigger role when Meyer graduates. If Maguire comes in and shoots the ball well, he's going to have to see some minutes. He's a better long-range shooter than most of the guys on the team now.

Any potential power forwards that come in will obviously have a chance to earn minutes right away, but they won't necessarily have to be the man at that spot right away. If you can get production from a mix of JJ, Obi, Meyer, Stemler, ?????, that could be just as effective (or more so) than if you have just one guy out there most of the time. But, bringing in a young pf (either JUCO or high schooler) is essential for the future of the program, because you need to stockpile as much talent as possible — especially in the post.

- Nate

Depending upon how BH develops over the summer, I could see UB doing more with the twin towers thing. Not saying that will be the starting lineup, but during a game, especially against teams w/ big front lines, say 10-12 minutes of it. That said, it would still be better to have a real #4 alongside IV. Hopefully, Obi and JJ are the guys. I still have hope for JJ. Obi? There's going to be some serious rust to scrape off there, maybe by the last quarter of the season after he's had a taste of real competition. I see Stemler as a Novak type from everything you guys have said. If he is 3/4 of the player Novak is then that will be special as this will really open up the inside possibilities. I mean KL has found his stroke, add another guy that can hit 40%, a pg that can penetrate and rebounds like a 4, IV a consistent threat inside and from the ft line, a PF that can hit a mid jumper and slash....a bench of LM, DB, DP, BH (for the twin tower thing)SLU could really raise some eyebrows next year.