The Arena Scoop

davidnark

I hear that the announcement will be for a July or August groundbreaking...that the size will be closer to 10,000 than 13,000...and that offices and practice facilities will be included. My source is third hand but usually pretty on target.

Fr. Biondi came and spoke at SGA (student govt.) last wednesday and said pretty much the same thing -

size somewhere in the 10,000-13,000 range,

practice facilities (2 courts) and offices included (basically they plan to move everything in west pine over to the new arena) &

groundbreaking deadline sometime in August. He said that they are still pushing hard to raise money and was appealing to students to talk the arena up. Apparently costs have risen a few million since when the plans first took shape and that's slowing things down. I think he said the current fundraising number is $26 million.

Also, student govt. decided to donate $5000 to the arena project to show support.

Darren are you on the SGA executive board? If so, how far back have you kept records? My name signature should be all over the resolutions passed in the early to mid-90's. I have some great memories from the old SGA days.

Any word on if the smaller size would still allow for Arena Football or Soccer? One hope of mine for the Arena was that it could steal the Steamers or the Rage (charging them lower rent, but rent nonetheless). I could of sworn that in some of the original designs this was a possiblity, but arena.slu.edu doesn't have anything like this.

I think SLU can make some pretty pennies by being the Family Arena of St. Louis.

10,000 would be more than enough for Arena football or indoor soccer, but we won't get both.

You have to figure anyone looking to buy the blues is also thinking NBA (especially Checketts) and that they'll have a team here within five years. The only thing that gets displaced by that tenant is some concerts and Steamers Soccer. So we can pick those up on our schedule and keep them from going to the Family arena. That means there isn't going to be room for an AFL team at Savvis, but we don't have a local owner and I doubt one is going to surface to put a team in a 10K facility.

I don't count the rage because those leagues pop up and fold every other year.

My only question in all of this is: what happens to West Pine?

Saint Louis University Hall of Fame and museum? Intramural sports?

First of all - when it was posted above that offices from West Pine were going to be moved to the arena - did they mean all offices including all coaches from all sports and the AD? If not then West Pine will be needed for those who don't go. Second, West Pine is on the National Registry and can not be torn down or modified without approval from that Board. So, it will be used for something. Truth is from a visual standpoint it would be best to be torn down for the overall campus setting - just my opinion.

I would like to see SLU set up intramural championships for basketball, soccer, etc at the Anhesuer (SP) Busch Pavillion (which should be the name of the Arena), just like Notre Dame has their inter-hall football championships on the hallowed turf of ND Stadium. Also, West Pine could be the site of regular intramural games or Greek League championship games. People within the SLU Rec don't use their heads, so we need to push for these things. I'd also like to see West Pine fitted with some sort of removable astroturf for baseball.

As long as there are good uses for it then fine - it is hard for me to see how its location enhances the campus. It sits out farther than any other building in the Mall and blocks the clean crisp look of that area. But like I said, I doubt that you could get clearance to tear it down so if people can make good use of it then fine. One thing to keep in mind - once the teams, coaches and AD move out - if that is what is going to happen - the building will not get the care it has gotten in the past. It has to be expensive to maintain and HVAC.

My uncle Bob would be terribly disappointed! It, like the Chouteau House (or whatever they call it now), is a rich part of the history of the school/campus, and provides some real character vs. all the new modern look-alike buildings, which have appeared since Busch Memorial Center in the late 60s.

If they want another cent of my $$$, Bauman/Eberhardt stands!