Husak

davidnark

Am I the only one of this boards that thinks Husak might be an asset if he was given some real minutes? (He always plays about 3 respectable minutes in the first half and then sits the rest of the game.) It wasn't too long ago that the talent of a certain Greek center wen't largely undiscovered as he langished on the bench behind Frericks. I am not suggesting that Bryce would be as good as Ian, but he has been fed the ball in the paint about a half dozen times all year and has probably scored on half of them. He also affects the game on defense when he plays. I wish Brad had the balls to play Bryce and Ian together for five or ten minutes. Force the other team to find a way to match up with our twin towers and quit worrying about giving up a few drives on defense. Hell, if a guy drives by Bryce he still has to beat Ian to score (and vice versa).

I would agree with both of you and feel that it sure would not hurt to try it in a game and see how it went. As it is not he obviously has zero plans for playing Justin because if he did the Dayton game should have given Coach motivation to get Justin playing time. He is doomed for scrub minutes at best, so let's try this other experiment.

david i have long advocated seeing bh get more minutes and seeing iv and bh in the game at the same time, so no, you are not alone

-and i think you make my point on defense when you say player x has to beat one off the dribble and then the other s/b defending the basket, for me, let iv play the more outside role and if he ever in this scenario reaches for a player that beats him off the dribble and commits a foul you bark at him b/c there is 7 ft and arms that go to the sky for the player to beat

-as for offense, a point of contention i have long had about ub is he never tries anything to force the opponent to react to us, we always react to them, so try the twin tower approach and see what happens

-if it doesn't work at least we have tried it

The same attitude that prevents us from acting (pressing and trapping on a semi-regular basis) instead of reacting (staying back in the pack defense), prevents us from forcing the issue upfront with our two aircraft carriers. We play prevent defense and conservative offense. That's just the way it is and will continue to be as long as Brad is the coach.

That is a very articulate way of describing Brad's coaching style--REACTIVE rather than ACTIVE. As a fan, REACTIVE often equals boring and frustrating. Even worse, a REACTIVE coaching style can inhibit talent by placing way too much emphasis on a "system."

Ian helps out on defense and like most European bigs flirts with the three. He would have to play the 4 not center at the next level. I have suggested this before but BH really has trouble being

deep at one end and the tenth player down the court. His play suffers

after 3 minutes, he seems tove a real stamina problem. His coach should consider timed windsprints for him every practice.

actually i think it would be just the opposite as it would free liddell or meyer to not have to stay in as much to rebound on defense.

i too think it is an experiment worth trying. what can it hurt?