Arena

slu72

I think 10,000 would be a good size. Hey Cameron's only 9,000 and that place can get rocking. Charlotte's arena holds 9,400 and it looks major if not a little spartan. The big thing is it's got to get done. If it's 10,000 so be it. I would have thought by now some one would have stepped up for the naming rights. In fact, it probably would have been wise to have had that done right from the get go.

slu72 said,

"I would have thought by now some one would have stepped up for the naming rights."

i guess your fed ex package with the check hasnt gotten to ms levick yet.

totally pissed off with where they are sitting when we move to a much smaller building. When we moved to the arena, a bigger freaking building everyone was pissed! I just don't get it.

Is this some sort of east coast "scummy little corner grocery VS Schnucks super center" sort of thing?

The size of the arena has been debated to death. Those who think smaller will never be convinced differently and those who think bigger - the same. I wonder if the idea of a 10,000 seat arena is because we have heard a couple of weeks ago that CL was talking with the designers about the addition of a practice facility. I find it hard to believe that she would be doing that with the fund raising going slow without her giving something else up. Just a thought.

this describes exactly what we need...

The John M. and Gertrude E. Petersen Events Center provides unprecedented recreational opportunities for University of Pittsburgh students. From Pitt Panthers Division I basketball, to space for concerts, commencement, and other sports, the Petersen Events Center has it all.

Facility Facts

Architects

Apostolou/Rosser

Joint Venture Partners

Pittsburgh, Pa.

Funding

$10 million was donated by John and Gertrude Petersen—the largest single donation in Pitt’s history.

$53 million in state funds were committed.

Arena Size

430,000 total square feet, which includes an auxiliary basketball practice facility, office space, media space, and athletic training facilities

Seating Capacities

12,508 for basketball, 9,000 for end stage concerts

Premium Seating

Five courtside luxury suites, six club suites, six loge suites, 193 supersuite seats, and five building levels, which include the main lobby, event, lawn, club, and concourse levels.

Unique Features

16,000 square feet of lobby space with 90' high ceilings

40,000-square-foot student recreational center

Incredible view of the entire University of Pittsburgh campus

Permanent wood floor with 1,200 courtside student seats

McCarl Panthers Hall of Champions, which is the grand showcase for the University of Pittsburgh’s illustrious athletic achievements

Pittsburgh Panthers merchandise shop, which features the world’s largest selection of Pittsburgh Panthers merchandise

Only college arena in the country that has courtside suites. Each of the five courtside luxury suites can seat up to 15 people who can watch the action from the luxury of the suite, or from additional suite seating on the court level.

Premiere Performances

Counting Crows concert—October 13, 2002

Pittsburgh Panther Basketball

First Women’s Basketball Game vs. Robert Morris University—November 22, 2002

First Men’s Basketball Game vs. Duquesne University—November 23, 2002

Thanks a bunch for the link. I really needed to see kid rock's backside right before lunch.

I'm not a wizard at math but given maybe 8-9000 current season ticket holders, new big donors, and the inevitable seating squabbles in moving, carrying charges, a building (at 10,000) less than HALF the size of our current venue, possible PSLs, postage and handling, I'm high in a corner or at least in the upper deck off the court.

It's kind of hard for me to root for such a change.

PS I am not widely travelled to away games but having seats high in Hearns and for the Illinois game at Illinois was not something I'd care to pay for for a whole season. I'd be better off taking a couple thou' and investing in a decent TV.....

just as soon as the students start showing they care EN MASS, then maybe that deserves consideration. until then, i wouldnt give them anymore special consideration than what they get now.

think about all the work the bluecrew kids have done and they still cant get the students to change their apathetic ways. for the most part, once you get by our loyal bluecrewers, slu students suck.

I don't disagree with this sentiment, poor student fan support. But St. Louis Univeristy has to do their part too, or else this will just be a smaller version of the way it's been. Gotta be a prt of the solution and not the problem.

If MANY other schools of similar size and background can do it, so can SLU.

It takes a LOT more than the BlueCrew people to make it happen, while not trying to discredit them.

It also isn't going to hapen with the snap of a finger. SLU has never had this type of student supoort. NEVER. For many many decades SLU was that local commuter school.

I thought the idea was to change all that.

If sitting up and over a bit more helps out in any way, I am all for it.

This is part of the disconnect and problem ino with alums as well.

The general idea is to win, and to win with a total college atmosphere imo.

It is very easy to say well this year for example these kids don't go, etc...etc...but the GOAL needs to be to fill the stands with students, and give them low cost general admission seating in high profile sections.

SLU frankly is running their hoops program mom aand pop style for many years. Maybe Brad can go door to door and sell cookies or something.

While it is very easy to be frustrated whith the students, the program etc...I expected more in response....well maybe not from Rich...but certainly from Roy.

Gotta look beyond...have a greater goal than what it is....

One last thing....I get tired of alums and random ticket holders. We all went to college, or at least some of us...and we all/some pay good money to see games, have season tix etc...Obviously the money and support of alums and others is vital and important.

But the students will always be priority one. Period.

Anything else, and I do not agree.

SLU not meaking a real effort to be a top 25 program so that Rich can keep his comfortable seat at the Savvis (and likely a couple extra empty seats near him since we'll never fill that place consistently). All in favor of remaining a 75-125 ranked team for Rich's benefit vote here.

Putting the arena on campus should generate more student interest/support by itself. If not, 13000 seats with 3000 empties on a bad night doesn't bother me too much. I see the program getting to the point where 13000 should sell out quite regularly.

By the way. Not being one of the quiet ancient, I chafe at being labeled "the problem." Every freaking game I see the big, lumbering, head (I think) of the Billiken Club heading for the exits when the game has 2-3:00 minutes left. I know the elderly like to get to their roadsters before everyone else but DON'T LEAVE WHILE THE GAME IS IN THE BALANCE! Student support would be nice but they and I will always be sitting behind these old, quiet, tennis-match-clapping, sitting for the last 5 minutes, folks.

so courtside, you want to set aside the 2000 courtside seats for the students we all sit behind them and then the 65 blue crew members can sit wherever they want?

until they come out en mass, it makes no sense to me. and i dont hear the students demanding anything past our bluecrew kids.

i would bet that if the kids start showing some quanity interest slu will respond. but the kids have to show some interest. over break the blue crew kids were given tix to give away and i bet that most will tell you that they couldnt give most away. sure a lot of kids go home to out of town homes, but i would be willing to bet that more than a couple hundred were indeed within driving distance.

If you think I'll be alone in complaining about seating priorities in the new arena, you're farther out of wack than usual. If you think a ten thousand seat arena will allow us to be a top 25 program while a thirtenn thousand seat arena means top 75-100 you are just smack-ass nuts.

You must've missed the arena move.....

i dont think the billiken club prez leaves early. she sits behind the billiken bench and is one of the most avid and vocal fans in the building night after night and i cant remember her ever leaving early. she bleeds blue like the rest of us.