The streak is over

Go_Bills

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For reasons that are clear only to the lunkheads at the P-D sports department, the Mizzou Tigers were given front-page coverage for losing to Texas...while the Billken story wound up on page 5.

Here's the text of the e-mail I sent this morning to the Sports editor at the P-D:

"I'm curious about the layout for today's P-D sports page: How is it that the SLU Billikens -- the hometown team -- gets relegated to page 5...but the MU Tigers merit page 1 above-the-fold treatment?

After all, the Billikens WON. In the process, they broke a streak that has been garnering national attention. That's newsworthy. They ran their record to 11-9, 5-3 and tied for 3rd in the A-10.

The Tigers LOST. They're 10-9, 3-5 on the year (although you wouldn't know that from having read the P-D story.) They're in 9th place in the Big 12.

It seems reasonable to expect that the hometown team -- the more successful team -- would receive more prominent coverage. I might be tempted to observe that the P-D Sports' staff's Tiger bias is showing...but given the team's current losing streak, I can't imagine why Tiger fans would want to draw additional attention to MU. Perhaps you can shed some light on the subject."

I was actually responding to Scriveners message not Broy. My point was, we could all save ourselves a little heartache if we realized that our small, private, Catholic, city school is NEVER going to get the same coverage as the big, public, state school.

I'm not sure why this needs to be debated and whined about on a monthly basis.

I know your old and the alzheimers is kicking in but at least check your posts before you send them so you're sure you're responding correctly. Get a neighborhood kid or grandkid to help if needed.

The thing is though that the PD needs to here it's subscribers/readers input or else the status quo will never change. Burwell has done well lately to shed some light on SLU, Bernie chimes in now and again. I would have to say that it is very slowly improving, however, there is a long way to go as evidenced by today's issue.

i also didnt care for timmermann's view of the game. sure there was an element of back and forth in the margin of the lead, but shouldnt that be somewhat expected against the second place team in the league on the road? he sure didnt seem very enthused about the game imo.

i too sent timmermann and starks an e-mail. wont do any good. never will as billiphan points out. but they still need to know they suck.

>I was actually responding to Scriveners message not Broy. My

>point was, we could all save ourselves a little heartache if

>we realized that our small, private, Catholic, city school

>is NEVER going to get the same coverage as the big, public,

>state school.

>

>I'm not sure why this needs to be debated and whined about

>on a monthly basis.

>

>I know your old and the alzheimers is kicking in but at

>least check your posts before you send them so you're sure

>you're responding correctly. Get a neighborhood kid or

>grandkid to help if needed.

The daily streak of Mizlosers getting their black and gold panties in a bunch is intact. You're picking up where cheesycow left off.

"our small, private, Catholic, city school

is NEVER going to get the same coverage as the big, public,

state school" - "Never" is way off base. There are numerous examples of city schools getting more play than the state schools. St. Joe's recently garnered a hell of a lot more coverage than Penn State. Xavier throughout much of the 90s garnered more coverage than Ohio State. Gonzaga, before Romar got to Washington, grabbed a lot more coverage in that part of the country. Creighton has gotten more play than Nebraska.

To put it in terms that your fellow Mizloser joey Fluegel would understand, locally the arrow is pointing up for one program, while the arrow is pointing down for another. SLU needs to continue to do their part to get that coverage, but as much as you wish it were so, it won't be "never." You only have to go back a decade to Spoonball and we routinely got at least the same if not more coverage than the big, underachieving state school.

To remind everyone, as we seem to have to about once a week, we would have been a "mid-major" had we dropped to the Missouri Valley. However, according to the Mid-Major Top 25 poll, we're not eligible.

"The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Continent, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Sun Belt, West Coast."

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/