Nitpicking Rene Knott on Ch. 5

Billinikens

Can Frank tell his "boss" that we have not won back-to-back games this year? He keeps saying we'll be trying to do so for the first time since early November, which I assume means he's counting the preseason games. Guess what Rene? THEY DON'T COUNT! We'll be going for our first winning streak tonight and I think we'll get it.

P.S. I may be more sensitive to him because I think that whole station stinks as far as the sports department goes.

billinikens said, "I may be more sensitive to him because I think that whole station stinks as far as the sports department goes."

i would agree on renee and the clueless chick (she might be the worst sports anchor of all times) but dont put frank in that boat.

frank is as passionate and hard working about the st louis sports scene as anyone in town.

Whats wrong with Katie? I think she does a good job, besides you need to watch to see how bizarre her hair looks. You can have Rene but I would like his tie collection. They are all so much better than the Jay Randolph,Ron Jacober,Ed McCauley,Zip Rezeppa generation.

I've mentioned this before, but a few years ago a caller called into a early afternoon radio show hosted by Brian McKenna and Joe Deniro on 1380 AM(before it became ESPN Radio) and expressed his displeasure with Rene Knott at KSDK. Deniro responded that KSDK couldn't fit his entire name on the screen, which was Rene Knottsogood.

it is the rare spot that katie doesnt make a mistake somewhere throughout that particular broadcast. i sometimes wonder if she knows anything about sports or is just a convienent reader. and that hair......let's just say it isnt my cup of tea if looks mattered which it doesnt on sports.

i too like renee's ties and suits, however his shirt and tie coordination doesnt always win. but again, it is sports. looks should matter. just know your subject matter. renee too often doesnt.

>frank is as passionate and hard working about the st louis

>sports scene as anyone in town.

Agreed. Frank does a great job of covering St. Louis sports of all types and levels. I do take issue with the way he calls the games on CCIN, though. I love the Billikens as much as the next guy, but he is nothing more than an apologist for the coaches and players. Everything is a "good foul", etc. Sometimes players and coaches screw up and he just won't call them out on it. It's the same thing with Savard and Snow (May he rest in peace) about the Rams.

i understand, but at least he is consistent with the part of a billiken homer as opposed to our "voice of the billikens".

Rene Knott is just plain terrible. Why anyone thinks that he is good is beyond me. His style is slow and un-exciting, he show no real intrest in what he is talking about, and often times is quite monotone. Course, all of this is my opinion, but I would rather have Bush back or Frank doing the full time work. At least Sunday nights are better now that they are tag teaming it. Rene Knott is the TV equivilent of Wayne Hagin.

Well...Knott did mispronounce Sutter's name...and he has mispronounced other names badly....as in all pro football players etc...if it were a one time thing...everyone makes mistakes. But he does have a pattern. Knott did go into Miklasz's post forum and apologized for the Sutter thing. His explanation was that he knew it was Sutter but sort of panicked at last minute...it was a weird explanation to say the least. Obviously he is not a local guy...but I have a big pet peeve when people don't call and ask the guy or the guy's rep for proper pronunciation of a name. No excuse.

Knott had a prominent weekend job in Washington D.C. It is a head scratcher how he got it. He apologized for his commenst said he was new in town, and hoped to stay and raise his family here. HArd not to have sympathy for that, but there also needs to be a standard of some kind.

STL is not a big market and it isn't national sports...so pick of the litter isn't the best...but I travel frequently and have lived in various markets, and to me STL is below avg for their mkt size and tv and radio sports. Just my opinion. There are other bigger markets with bad lcoal sports too. Some smaller markets with better.

My pet peeve this year was one guy in a market where every time I was in town to catch his sports cast...he would repeatedly say Stevie Smith of Carolina...as if they were buddies and he called him that.

My problem with local sports is 1) Weather gets WAY too much time. Weather needs to show me the next day's weather...and even though they can't predict further than that, show the 5-7 day week thing, and show a nationwide map for travel for people...all of this can be done in 60 seconds. Nobody needs more than that. If so, go to weather channel, which is a good channel.

2) Just show the highlights...I don't need to know what Tom from U.City thinks of this or that. Tom doesn't represent anybody but Tom. more highlights....and give all the scores of major sports.

Cusamano, a "Don" like figure on this board....but his sportscasts are in a word bad. He is much better on radio. I do not agree with a lot of his college hoops opinions...I do think he is tuned in to SLU, which benefits this board, and he is the only SLU cheerleader in town...but definitely not tuned in elsewhere. He does work hard to get better guests than the others...and he is better than many others.

The biggest problem with STL radio and tv sports? Laziness. If your job is sports, how much game film do you think these guys watch? Think of all the STL area dopes....this is their job. They know they can get away with it and they do. That is why they are local market not big market radio and tv dopes. There are always exceptions. Cusamano, Miklasz...etc...whether you like them or not, they do their job. But so many more sit in their radio studio and eat doughnuts...or in their tv studio....etc...

A lot of the recycled veterans, are forever STL people who are lazy. They make decent cash and know they don't want to go elsewhere...so there isn't any pressure to produce.

Katie is terrible as a sports announcer. She is clueless. I like Frank but I do kind of agree that he is not that good of a game announcer. Renee Knott - nice guy, nice smile, just not very good. How can an experienced sports announcer panic when reading Sutter's name - it is not like he is Serbian and in the NBA.

I am unfamiliar with Katie. Can't comment. I do however know that more and more women have gone into sports because it is easier for them to break in than in news. In local markets...I have seen many times where a sports chick(no offense in my terms, just trying to type)...moves over to news after a while after getting experience...that Naughton gal would ge an STL example. That happens a lot. Other younger, more attractive chicks like the attention and try to go national and eventually parlay it into entertainment career as well. Kelli Johnson formeerly of channel 5...not in that hottie category....she is former jock....has a god job with Comcast sports in Baltimore/D.C. area...perhaps Taj is a viewer or Steve? I had heard rumors, strickly rumors that she dated some Rams players and mgmt didn't like it. They are from reliable sources. I met her a few times and was always nice. Never saw her work though. So she could have been terrible or good.

When channel 5 opening was available, Trey Wingo commented that it was a gold mine great job etc...etc...when asked the same thing, Matt Winer took the approach that he liked it much better doing ESPN national stuff, had no interest. Different strokes for different folks.

There are a lot of ex ESPN guys around the country popping up more and more, because they don't like living in Bristol. ...either on local news in big markets....Brett Haber D.C NY, Mark Malone Chicago, Pat Boyle Chicago, Larry Beil San Francisco....and others who went the play by play rout like Charlie Steiner, Dodgers, previously Yankees....etc...a lot of different ones.

I cant believe Channel 5 hired Renee. I really can't. Somtimes he is clueless about the sport he is covering or appears to be so. He seems like a great guy he probably tries but his chemistry on the TV is really not that good. SportsPlus on Sunday nights is a disaster. I think the tag team thing Frank is so cheesy and while they are getting better they still look out of sync. I'd rather Frank do it alone. I love Frank and always will and thank him for his Billiken support but I think he's best when in the field as opposed to behind the Sports Desk. Katie Felts too shocks me. She really does. I know they were playing the dicersity card when putting this sports line up together but she is beyond bad. I feel sorry for her sometimes because I am embarrassed for her. As much as I wasn't a huge fan of the tall thin girl on before Katie and Renee got there but she was WAY better than Katie and I will take her back.

I heard that Rene's hiring was more of a Gannett (KSDK's parent company) decision than a local decision.

What's Lisa Guererro up to these days, besides posing for Playboy? I would have no problem replacing Katie with her. Or maybe we could convince Erin Andrews to give up ESPN for St. Louis. :)

it is hard to pick out the kid's highlight, but his pronounciation of the all american team player's names was pretty entertaining.

from the rumors i heard, dont think that kelli was preferential to just rams players. the cardinals were a high priority as well as the blues.

Erin Andrews comments...well...every time I see or think of her...I will not shake something I read about her. The power of message boards. Apparently previously Andrews did TB Lightning hockey coverage, and Turner sports in Atlanta after college graduation fro Florida...and being very young, etc...feeling good about herself...a little cocky...and she goes online and reads message boards ctitiquing evrything about her...she was bashed in ATL pretty bad...and not just for her work...many threads on when will she get that nose job and get it fixed etc...and she spent some time iin tears to come back to earth. I have heard that Andrews is in the jock sniffer category...mixing busiess with pleasure...the one thing that blew me away is that she calls a lot of players by their personal nicknames as close friends would. Hard to imagine a 24-25 year old being that close to some of them...it comes across rather awkwardly to me.

I don't like sideline reporters. All the announcer has to do is get info off air from the reporter down on the sidelines without doing live shot, or stupid halftime interview.

I am not above eye candy. Maybe others are. I just prefer mine in a different role than sideline reporter.

Guerrero would get bashed by self important twits like Dan Patrick etc...who ripped her credibility...give me a break...your job is sports. Sure critique someone's lack of knowledge etc...but it is a sideline reporter...and their purpose in life is to be eye candy.

Guerrero I assume is still with Scott Erickson enjoying the good life.

I mean, do we really care what Erin Andrews has to say or what the interview is about?

Andrews: "Hey Coach your team is down 21 points at half, how do you turn it around in 2nd half?"

Coach: "We have to tackle better and get something going on offense."

Andrews: "Thanks coach. Back up to you."

Michelle Tafoya got hammered at a game and threw beer at people from luxury box...now we're talkin...

I'd agree with that. But if it is good reporting from females, I also do not care if she is unattractive either. If you are going to be bad, or unimportant, you had better be attractive. I have seen quality people ripped because they were overweight or unattractive females. I don't really like or understand that either.

Take that Lisa Dergen chick from Fox Sports...I have never heard her say a single word...but I know who she is/was on there. I have no interest in what she has to say....perfect for guys out at the bar, sound down looking for sports on tv.

Gotta love Summer Sanders...she is well educated, jock from Stanford, almost nerdy type...and she openly rips the U.S. swim and dive chicks from past Olympics for posing naked and things like that....how there needs to be a standard...etc....then she proceeds to go on some dopey terrible sports list show wearing anything and everything tight to sex up her and the show. Priceless.