ramsey on slaten's show today

billiken_roy

just listened to a phone in discussion (i guess ramsey on vacation) that ramsey had with slaten. ramsey said that the refs cheated chicago state out of a deserved win last nite and felt terrible after the game for the chicago state team.

while i agree the fouls were uneven, i beleive that if anything, the refs could have called even more fouls on chicago state. for ramsey to take that stance makes me wonder if possibly he was watching a different game on his courtside monitor or something.

regardless, another example of "the voice of the billikens" really standing up for our program.

granted some of that might have been playing up to slaten and the show's premise, but my gosh, the tirade with slaten encouragement went on for at least 5 minutes.

i love ramsey's play by play, but if that is the way he is going to act, find someone else. i was just about over his telling the fellow press rowers in marque's big year that the billikens that year were one of the worst billiken teams ever. glad to see ramsey shows his spots again.

I didn't think the game was that unevenly called. Chicago fouled Ian early and often. They're other option was to let him score at will. They had no answer for Ian, period. Ramsey kissing up to Slaten is a disturbing thought and reason enough not to listen to either of them outside the Billiken play by play or post game show.

Hard to believe Ramsey making that kind of statement. He's usually talking about the refs screwing us...........

I actually agree with Ramsey. I was sitting with my brother last night and I turned to him and said the same thing. I want the Bills to win more than anything, but win a fair fight. Now, I am not wishing we had lost. I will take the win and not apologize for it. The same thing happened to the Bills at UNC.It is an unfortunate reality of college hoops.

I think Rammer saying that gives him some credibility. Have you ever listened to Tiger Tim? He would never say anything like that. You have to respect honesty.

let's look at a couple possibilities on rammer's comments (which i did not hear)

-we finally get home cooking and he doesn't know how to react

-the refs were really that bad and broy saw the different game

i agree the refs were horrible and that chi st got homered by them.

after every game you could make the comment that more fouls could have been called on one team or the other.

if you are commenting on rammer telling it like it is on his radio show, not the coaches show, not during a slu game, why can't he be objective in those situations??

i am not sure what you want him to say after a puke game like last night on his radio show?

drew, are you saying that ian wasnt getting just beat to hell? imo they should have called more fouls or at least sooner fouls on chicago state on the inside. imo the only foul that i thought was poorly called against the chicago state team was the one that fouled their top scorer out. however, since i posted that this morning, skip said from his view which was much closer than mine, he said the chicago state guy fell into lisch and deserved the foul.

I'm with Roy on this one. With the exception of the foul called towards the end when Lisch gave a sharp shoulder to 11 and Lisch fell over, I thought it wasn't so much a homer job, but rather this Chicago State team just hacked their way into foul trouble. In fact, the refs missed a few that should've been called.

On the topic of fouls, when will our Bills learn to slide into the lane on the break and take the charge. Lisch and Meyer do it, but DB and JJ both seem to just go up trying to block the shot instead of getting position and taking the charge. I can think of three instances last night the little guys went barreling down the lane on a break and were either fouled or made their shot. The one with JJ in the first half was embaressing.

cowboy, if ian really didnt get fouled, i would understand, but ian was getting mauled and if anything those fouls were under called. take away ian's fouls and the fouls would likely be a lot more even. heck he shot 17 free throws and in the second half he missed a number of front ends of 1 and 1's as well.

if you think the fouls were unjustly uneven, you are saying that the play vs ian was fair.

newborne had a couple of stupid fouls as well where he was just standing to the side reaching like a 6th grader.

"You have to respect honesty."

Not me. I don't care what the guy thinks to himself, or even if it was true. IMO, a man in his position as the Voice of the Billikens should not be making those kind of comments. I highly doubt the UNC radio personality went on the air the next day and said "Gee, those Billikens really could have beat us if the refs didn't call all those bs fouls." It was an ugly game that nobody is really proud of. That comment was unecessary.

home cooking all the way.

There wasn't one point in the game where I felt that I should stand and yell at the refs because they helped us so much.

We didn't deserve to win that game. the good news is in a week we'll have all forgotten about it and at the end of the year when we are trying to figure how our 16-12 team could have won a couple more games here or there and been in the dance we'll completely ignore games like last night but vividly remember every bad call @ UNC and UWM. Its human nature.

so kshoe, you honestly beleive that ian was not fouled last night. because that is the total source of the foul difference. hey you have a great seat for the second half. if you think ian wasnt fouled last night who am i to argue from my seat at the other end. it sure looked like he got beat up to me all night long.

Roy and Nahsville, are you afraid our program will crumble because our announcer happens to think we got homer calls? Why so sensitive? This guy is as big of a Bills fan as you will find, as am I, and he is offering his opinion.

Yes, he is the voice of the Bills, but he also is a host of a sports talk show where he gets paid to give his opinion.

Again, I think his opinion shows that he has high expectations for this team, and was frustrated by last night's effort. I am in the same boat. I understand this team is young, and will have more klunker games this year, but there appeared to be a lack of effort last night in some areas.

broy said "if you think the fouls were unjustly uneven, you are saying that the play vs ian was fair. "

broy, i really don't think that your sentence is true at all.

there were many other instances that did not involve IV where i thought SLU got the better of the call/no call.

what is wrong with objectivity??

to qualify as a fan under some's view does everything have to be looked at through slu-colored glasses??

All I know is that there was a HUGE amount of Ian's jersey being pulled back and forth. I almost began to think that Chi State made a conscious decision to keep Ian from scoring by giving up a large number of fouls. Think about this: How many times did you hold your breath because Ian or Lisch or Tommie hit the ground hard after a particularly contentious play under the basket? I cannot remember a time when I have seen so many crashes. Now, not every crash involved a foul against the Billikens, but when you have guys that are 4'9" guarding guys a foot or two (or three) taller, what do you expect?

I don't think all the fouls called helped us. Many times Ian would get the ball and be fouled but he was in a position of advantage to get an easy two and had to go to the line and shoot 1 and 1. All the fouls called disjointed our offense and we never got into a rhythymn it slowed the game to a crawl and gave Chi St a chance to hang around.

Ramsey is full of it. Every game he makes a comment "this is the worst officiating I've seen". He needs to get some new material.

On a positive note, I haven't heard him make the "mmm mm mmm" noise when SLU starts doing poorly since I emailed him and told him how annoying that is. I couldn't stand that anymore.

"I don't think all the fouls called helped us. Many times Ian would get the ball and be fouled but he was in a position of advantage to get an easy two and had to go to the line and shoot 1 and 1. All the fouls called disjointed our offense and we never got into a rhythymn it slowed the game to a crawl and gave Chi St a chance to hang around." - ABomb

That is my point exactly. Ramsey may or may not be right, but Ian would have had a much higher FG% if he wasn't trying to shoot with those 7th graders hanging all over him.

but in a six point game it doesn't take much for the refs to make a difference. A 50/50 scramble ball that goes out of bounds and SLU gets the possession...the play near the end of the game where Dwayne bumped him, he takes a step heaves it in the basket and instead of an And1 play they called walking...near the end when we were falling apart Dwayne bobbled the ball, the guy reached in to get and and was called for a foul and fouled out. There were a ton of 50/50 calls that went our way. That is how teams get screwed.

no of course it wont crumble because ramsey is weak and ashamed of his billikeness.

but as someone else said, i doubt you would hear that come out of any other team pbp guy.

but hey, if that is what you want. and you like him giving away wins, declaring previous billiken teams the worst slu team ever, that is your choice. personally i think our pbp guy should be over the top loyal to the billikens.

the inbalance is obviously the fouls called against the chicago st players guarding the inside, aka ian.

the other no calls and such are another day at the office imo for our typical refs and i didnt see an imbalance of calls or no calls away from ian.

i could live with objectivity, if it was accurate. it isnt in this case.

the ramsey discussion was about the difference in number of fouls.

your examples are typical of any game. the sole point i am disputing by ramsey's assertion is the b!tch about the number of fouls.

No, i don't think our program would crumble. But I do think our program is in a delicate state. I think we could be on the verge of a big step forward and need the support of the fans...especially those in the media. I'm not calling for a new play by play guy or anything like that. I just think the comment was out of line and uncessary from a guy in his position. I can't think of how many times we've been raped by the refs on the road. It was really nice to get some home cooking for ONCE. Just about every team in America gets home cooking. Why "should we have lost" because we finally got our due. It's part of the game.