JJ

Billiken75

Go JJ - I think his play last night vs. Gonzaga was key to us competing. If he can stay focused, defend and rebound, what a great help to this team. I was also excited to see Luke Meyer starting to get back into basketball shape - let's get his 3-ball going to open things up for Ian. Hey, to be perfectly honest, I am looking forward to the A-10 tourney - let's win it and go dancing.

I hope the young players learn from this game - learn to do one extra thing to change the outcome - one more rebound, extra defense on one of the possessions, one score - the edge between winning and losing is that close.

the bills need jj to come up big against iowa. iowa's power forward, greg bruner, is a horse and will pound the boards from start to finish.

iowa has a 7 foot center who is 10th in the nation in blocked shots so ian will have to cover him. he has almost no offensive game but alters things on the defensive end.

JJ was fantastic last night. His energy, defense, rebounding and finishing around the basket was just what the doctor ordered. YOu get efforts like that out of him the rest of the year, we are a vastly different team.

Speaking of the 4-spot, VN has to give better efforts when he comes into the game. The missed shots I could care less about, but our rebounding suffered greatly when he came into the game. That either says a lot about JJ or very little about VN.

if johnson had one flaw last nite, i thought he shot a few times way too early in the shot clock considering the shot johnson was taking (about a 15 footer). if anyone is shooting that 15 footer that early in the shot clock it likely isnt johnson at this point.

but as said all over today, johnson's play was exceptional last night on both ends. let's hope that continues. it solves a lot of our problems if the justin johnson that shows up hereforward is the gonzaga one or better.

now has enough "confidence" in JJ to play him against Chicago St. For whatever reason Brad only seems to want to play JJ against the good teams and sits him against the Ken. St. type teams. Its time for JJ to play and play a lot.

Its my personal hope that the starting lineup will be set for the rest of the year with DP, TL, KL, IV and JJ. If and when Drejaj comes back he will be a super-sub.

I think at this point the 4-guard offense is not as good against the weaker teams without drejaj. What makes me wonder about is not JJ's minutes, but what about DB? He played 4.6 seconds last night and has sunken deep onto Brad's bench. That's crazy considering a month ago he was a starter and a leading scorer in the first game.

When Lisch is not the 4 guard being brought, I can't see taking JJ out to go 4 guard against lesser teams (except for small stretches or in case of foul trouble). I've been a JJ cheerleader on this board for some time so I'm thrilled to see him produce after finally getting extend PT. When JJ and TL both go to the offensive glass together as happened often against the Zags, we have the capability to overwhelm teams on their own boards. I don't know how many 2nd chance points we had in this game but I thought it was the reason we stayed in the game to the buzzer.

>if johnson had one flaw last nite, i thought he shot a few

>times way too early in the shot clock considering the shot

>johnson was taking (about a 15 footer). if anyone is

>shooting that 15 footer that early in the shot clock it

>likely isnt johnson at this point.

>

>but as said all over today, johnson's play was exceptional

>last night on both ends. let's hope that continues. it

>solves a lot of our problems if the justin johnson that

>shows up hereforward is the gonzaga one or better.

JJ is a good shooting big man. Thats his strength. He hit a couple of HUGE 15 foot jumpers against Arizona as a freshman in a game we lost by 1 because Bryant stepped on the line while hitting a buzzer beater that would've tied the game.

With regard to DB, I think it is all about mistakes and turnovers. An amazing stat from last night is that we had only 6 turnovers. Danny is a very good athlete but he has had trouble with his decision making. Against good teams bad shots and turnovers turn into baskets that you can never get back. He also seemed to falter on the defensive end for some reason and lost his man several times in recent games. I am sure Danny will work hard and get back in the rotation. He can sure take a lesson from JJ who was deep in the doghouse and now he is a starter!

I think the play Pdiddy is talking about was more impressive ... the other one he was all alone and jammed. That play belonged to Tommie. The one Pdiddy is talking about was the best bucket I have ever seen JJ make ... it was in traffic and he just powered up.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

>if johnson had one flaw last nite, i thought he shot a few

>times way too early in the shot clock considering the shot

>johnson was taking (about a 15 footer). if anyone is

>shooting that 15 footer that early in the shot clock it

>likely isnt johnson at this point.

>

JJ was feeling it at that point and when you get into that mindset you think anything you put up is going in. That is what that shot was about. Notice he didn't do that again after that miss.