I'll Be Interested...

Schasz

They shut down Ian by fronting him. Liddell cooled off and didn't play with great intensity in the second half. We didn't shoot the ball well from outside in the second half. We didn't defend particularly well. They got hot from three. Our seniors aren't very good.

...That's the game in a nutshell.

How many points did Tommie have in the second half? According to the posts for the second half, did not read his name much. One would think you would feed the hot hand the ball? Didn't hear much out of Lisch as well...main thing is the team needs to improve steadily as the season goes to build a foundation for the young guys confidence. Could get real ugly in Chapel Hill is my fear, UNC looked stout in Lexington today.

They played well. Tommie was electric during the first half. They make a few turnovers second half and played a little sloppy. Also missed a couple of crucial shots. They also did not mannage to give the ball down low to Ian.

On the whole the Bills played decently. It was good to see what Tommie's really got. This could be a long season with some great nights and some like this one.

i think tommie looked tired in the second half. definitely wasnt the force he was the first half. and lisch just barely missed some big threes in the second half that had he made them, it would have changed the game.

but the most telling issues imo was the offensive rebounds that resulted in successful put backs for milwaukee and the fact that ian got jobbed by the refs. that third foul on ian was just brutal. no way that is called. but it was and we had crucial minutes thereafter with ian sitting on the bench. our achilles heel all year will be this no powerforward and the difference between ian and the rest when he isnt in.

still from a moral victory standpoint, milwaukee is returning almost an entire team that was a sweet 16 team last year. on the road that isnt a bad loss imo. i think we couldve shouldve won, but i think we showed with experience we can beat that team.

imo, we got to beat the haveto's like monday's jackson state, and the upcoming kennesaw state, and then if we can win in detroit vs oakland and maybe get ole miss, i would be a happy guy going into xmas.

i think tommie looked tired in the second half. definitely

wasnt the force he was the first half.

He was tired. Didn't have the legs to keep pushing. You cannot

expect him to compete against Division 1 power forwards all year.

Then you play him for 39 minutes with a 7 footer and a 6'8 guy on

the bench. The four guard offense should be used against the likes of Jackson and Kennesaw States of the world not an NCAA Tourney team who returned most of its starters

but the most telling issues imo was the offensive rebounds

that resulted in successful put backs for milwaukee and the

fact that ian got jobbed by the refs. that third foul on

ian was just brutal. no way that is called. but it was and

we had crucial minutes thereafter with ian sitting on the

bench. our achilles heel all year will be this no

powerforward and the difference between ian and the rest

when he isnt in.

I know most probably won't agree, but I think Justin would benefit the most from playing alongside of Ian. Ian would take so much pressure off Justin.

after last nite, i am in total agreement with jalensdad/dalejarr. it is time to shelve this 4 guard thing and put johnson in the game. i gotta believe he can be convinced to do his best dennis rodman imitation of rebounding and defense, but we are definitely not getting what we paid for by forcing tommie to try to battle these huge guys inside.

we have a premium combo guard that most high d-1 schools across the country would die to have and we are letting him get beat to hell every night by football like linebacker power forwards so we got an excuse to play another guard? honestly, that has to stop if we expect future success. use can always use the 4 guard thing for short spurts to create mismatches and coaching moves by the opponent. but whole games is not the answer.

Roy, I agree with you about TL - last night watching the game made me wonder if the fact that TL has to guard much taller, bigger, and stronger pfs is what causes him to seem to wear down during a game. If so, this is a problem that has to be corrected by Brad or else what we saw last night will continue to be a big problem for us this year. I also agree that the lack of a power forward is a major issue for us but that being said, I ask the old question, why not play JJ at the power forward position whe IV is in the game and let TL play a guard or wing position? If JJ is good enough to play the minutes he played last night for IV then why not the same when IV is playing. I also think that AD did not have a very good game last night - his defense was lacking. VN, could not defend anybody last night and his offense was terrible. Brad was right, this game was lost because the defense did not show up but I also thought the game was lost when IV had to sit in the first half - while we held the lead, that was a time when had IV played, we should have been making hay and building a big lead which would have changed the way the second half played out. I know we will never live by the 3 pt shot this year but I am sorry we have to figure out a way to hit more than 2 of them a game. Not only did we not defend the 3 very well we added to the problem by not being able to hit any to counter theirs.

>after last nite, i am in total agreement with

>jalensdad/dalejarr. it is time to shelve this 4 guard thing

>and put johnson in the game. i gotta believe he can be

>convinced to do his best dennis rodman imitation of

>rebounding and defense, but we are definitely not getting

>what we paid for by forcing tommie to try to battle these

>huge guys inside.

>

>we have a premium combo guard that most high d-1 schools

>across the country would die to have and we are letting him

>get beat to hell every night by football like linebacker

>power forwards so we got an excuse to play another guard?

>honestly, that has to stop if we expect future success. use

>can always use the 4 guard thing for short spurts to create

>mismatches and coaching moves by the opponent. but whole

>games is not the answer.

If we could hit 3pt shots and defend 3pt shots we would've won every game this year. Offensive rebounding hasnt hurt us nearly as much as our defense of the 3. In both losses, the other team torched us from beyond the arc. The 4 guard lineup has been keeping us in the game offensively and is the reason Liddell was able to get off last night, because he was being guarded by a bigger slower player. We have to start making shots, and defend the 3 a ton better. No way, with 4 guard should we not be able to guard the 3pt shot. Time for Lisch to start over Drejaj too.

Also we were only outrebounded by 6. What hurt us the most was out 2-12 from three and their 8-17 from three. Also 0 pts from Brown and 4 from Drejaj didnt help us either. But if we attack the basket as we did last night and live at the free throw line, we can beat most teams on our schedule, we have to do it from start to finish.

v, i am not saying tommie cant score on the opposing pf. tommie can score on anyone in the country likely. what i am concerned with is the effort he expells trying to neutralize the opposing pf when tommie is playing defense. the physical pounding he is taking on that end is affecting his total game.

as i said in another thread, if there is an insistance of using 4 guards, then get meyer out there in place of polk to give us more size and let luke battle the pf on defense. at least then tommie has a chance to excel further in the game.

It was a tough loss, I really would've liked to have had. We were killed defensively by Tucker who was a matchup nightmare. We'd stick a guard on him, he'd post him up. We'd counter with VN and he'd go outside. UWM also hit some huge threes with guys in their face towards the end of the shot clock. That's tough. I am concerned about the defensive rebounding and our ability to defend the 3. Other than that, we actually played pretty well against a good team on the road. Tommie was awesome. Kevin was good. Ian was fine when he was out there. DB was terrible. AD was not so good.