Vashun news disturbing

slu72

i think it means that the offensive scheme has been redisigned for a 4 guard offense more than what we thought and when newborne is in the game instead of johnson we go with that.

sigh.

It still doesn't change the fact that he'll have to play the 4 if JJ doesn't. As stated earlier neither guy has post up skills. Our postup play will come from Ian,Bryce,and maybe Tommie. For what it's worth JJ shot the ball very well from the 12 foot range.

Agreed, he's got to get a chance to prove himself. I wish someone could get UB to give us fans an honest assessment of JJ. Is it practice, is it lack of focus, is he selfish, etc. We always say on here give us a 6'8", 230 pounder, with hops. We got one but?????

to remember that today is OCTOBER 27.

At least no one took the bait and responded to the question about VN being a bust.

Look at the history of JC's we have had, takes a year to get comfortable and then improvement the next season.

For me at least, there will be little bits of evidence as to what this season will become starting Nov 9 and the bits become chuncks on Nov 22 (in St Charles, back a cooler for the wait to get out of the parking lot, even if only 2000 there).

How do we know how the frosh will react when the lights come on? We can speculate and hope and I guess that is fun, but let's see.

At the risk of sounding like Quin (I mean Coach Snyder), how will the team gel? what are the combinations?

I want to see the lights on before judging.

Lot of water to go over the damn yet.

Cowboy, and I sincerely hope your moniker is not symbolic of a certain NFL team, you are right. All this speculation comes from us not knowing what to expect from this team, especially now that we are in a new conference. I mean it's not like Duke where they know JJ Redick and Sheldon Williams are coming back with a host of other talented players and expect a final 4, or even N.Carolina, who is loaded with McDonalds all americans, albeit they are frosh, but probably good enough to win 17 or 18 games. We know all the gurus are picking us near dead last. But maybe out of denial, we are trying to believe that 1.)IV is improved, 2.)KL and TL the real deal,3.)DP, DB, and LM will play at a higher level. We are praying JJ's upstairs light goes on and he decides to play a respectable #4 consistently. This team is one big question mark. But you are exactly right, we don't know squat about where this team is headed and won't until probably early - mid January.

Some thoughts on this idea of going 4 guard with the 4th guard being either Vashun or Luke Meyer--

1) Here is to the hope that coach is satisfied with what he is seeing out of JJ thus far in practice such that he rewards JJ with the starting PF position and, in the early going, we can expect to see JJ for 25 minutes per. Thus, the 4 guard deal is only for 5 minute spurts when JJ is out of the game.

2) It's kinda scarey on two fronts: if JJ fails, our fallback plan is not going to get it done in the A10. Second, if we are going to extended 4 guard, a healthy Luke Meyer is important given his physical strength and midrange game. Reports of blowup casts in late October don't bode well for Luke.

3) Obi is the wild card. We can get by early in the season with the JJ / four guard combo but it would be a huge lift if Obi steadily improves his mobility from now to December. Would coach be willing to lift the redshirt on Obi to give us 10 minutes per game from December forward? It may be a matter of necessity. If Obi improves, it could relegate this 4 guard deal to one month then just occasional flashes for the remainder of the season.

I sure think Obi's the real deal; just not this year. Here's a guy who never expect to redshirt...except he can't really play this year, so he gets a year of Brad's stuff under his belt and becomes a healthy contributor next year. In the meantime, he's well enough to be a practice body this year.

All the fact that he's working with the guards means is that he's not a back to the basket type player, which is what the team works on when they separate. Coach would rather have him working on his face up game and jump shot, which he may potentially use in a game. Vashun will play the 4 and rebound admirably well for his size, all the while having a 3's offensive mentality. FYI, he frequently practiced with the guards last year as well, so don't read too much about a changing role into this fact.

I don't think Vashun can guard the 4 in the majority of games on our schedule. Also "3's mentality" and Vashun don't really mesh. He can't slash. He can't stop and pop. He's a 6'5" spot up shooter who can run the floor reasonably well. We're in trouble if Vashun plays the majority of minutes at 4 this season.

>jjray....what is the difference in guarding the 4 in C-USA

>versus the A-10?

True but does that have a bearing on the issue? We were 9-21 last year! Can one say anything we did last year was satisfactory? Also, Izik played the majority of the minutes at 4. I didn't like what I saw last year of Newborne defending the 4 and don't expect that to change (but would be pleased to have my expectations shown to be ill founded).