Injuries

Billikan

I have to agree completely. The best teams are those that have talented upperclassmen in the rotation and talent freshmen on the bench chomping at the bit to show the world that they can play, too.

The problem is that sometimes players transfer in search of playing time, but it's a nice problem to have.

The day when Marque Perry becomes our whipping boy. Anyone with Marque's talent or heart will never be anyones whipping boy. I don't know that there are many ... if any ... teams in the NCAA that Marque wouldn't have started for.

If the day came where his like was our underacheiver or role player ... cancel the tourney ... we win

I would hope Varner would look good in practice, as he is one of 4 seniors on the team. A lot of guys play well in practice. When you play against guys you know and you play against them all the time and there isn't 12,000 + people watching with a game on the line, you should practice good. Sekue Barantine used to practice good as well.

my point of chasing grimes instead of shaw is that grimes WASNT the best. he might have the big body or the potential, but shaw has proven time and time again that right now head to head shaw is the better player. had we given matt the attention he deserved up front, maybe he would be a billiken now.

i hate to get into this again, but remember, there is a difference between d-1 in general and high or major d-1. if you all think that varner or diener or a larry simmons arent d-1 players i say you are wrong. they might be borderline high d-1 players, but there are d-1 teams that they would be the stars at. d-1 is over 325 teams and 13 players per team i.e. over 4,000 players are d-1 players.

i will agree the billikens have had players that had no business playing in conference usa or the great midwest. probably were missouri valley players or ohio valley players, but even then, i dont think we are talking about players that are at the end of the bench for say savannah state or north carolina a&t which btw we play both in a few. see if the end of the bench players for those teams those games are better than the players we are discussing. you will then be looking at the fringe of a "division one player" category.

Roy,

I was a student at SLU at the same time as Larry Sssssssimmons, and I don't really remember his recruitment. Weren't there high hopes for him originally? I seem to remember him showing an occasional flash of talent early in his Billiken career, but by the end, he earned hardly any playing time. Was he an underachiever or just no good?

imo he wasnt a good basketball player. which is different from a good athlete. larry had skills, but seemed to have trouble using them within spoonball. larry didnt seem to be in the right place at the right time often, and had a tendency to get beat defensively a little too much for spoonball as well. spoon's kids had to play defense or they didnt play. larry might have been a star for pat kennedy who's approach to college basketball is basically, throw the balls out there and go for it.

Simmons was not highly regarded coming out of high school. I never saw his name on any Street & Smith list (not that those are always the best measuring stick). I don't think he was being recruited by very good schools.

Troy Robertson and Larry Simmons I believe were in the same recruiting class. That's brutal. To have two guys in the same recruiting class who were still bench players by the time they were seniors is unacceptable.

i have expressed before i am not the biggest spoon fan, especially recruitingwise. i had heard that he got backed in the corner on troy robertson trying to recruit ryan. promised a package deal and got left with the lesser of the two. always a good example of why "package deals" usually dont work. the best example of the package deal that did work was crean getting wade by agreeing to take his aau buddy blankson as well.

rich what is somewhat surprising is that charlie is really having bigtime success recruiting at unlv. for someone who flat out told us at meetings he hated recruiting and everything about it, and then went on to back that up with his lazy results while at slu, he sure seems to have done an about face in glitterland. is his kid that good or what?