GT Impressive....

slu72

last night in game against Ohio State. 3 star you're right they don't have an intimidating front line like last year. What they do have is a bunch of athletic types that get after the ball on missed shots or errant passes. Is an upset out of the question? Well anything's possible but highly unlikely. GT plays uptempo, swarms on D, and finds open men near the basket. Dickie V says their goal in every game is plus 40 deflections. They seemed well on their way to achieving it last night. Remember OSU was playing at home. We are going to have to be careful with the ball, aggressive on the boards, exceptional D, and mount some offense to stay close with these guys. By close I mean losing by less than 15. GT is a very very good team.

I have not seen cincy so it is hard to compare but I have seen Ga. Tech on three occasions and I think they are one of the best "small" teams I have ever seen. They are extremely athletic, extremely active and they play very well together. Their fast break is a thing of beauty. I give tremendous credit to their coach because he lost two of the best players in the nation--one to the NBA (Bosh) and one transfer and they are playing much better than last year.

One interesting sidelight will be the additin of Bynum, the transfer from Arizona. Dickey V is touting this as a great addition but I am not so sure. Jack is playing th point a lot and he is a wonderful player who looks for his teammates and plays very tough defense. I watched Bynum a lot at Arizona and I found him to be a ball hog who wanted to "get his shots". Team chemistry is so important that I think adding a player like Bynum to the mix might reduce their overall effectiveness. Only time will tell.

The bottome line is that playing GT on their floor at this early time in the season when they are playing well will be an incredible challange. They pounded UConn, texas Tech and Ohio State. If we can just stay in the game and not get blown out I will be very happy.

If we leave their perimiter guys open, based on what I saw last night, we could lose by 40. These guys are lights out shooters. Another thing even though they are not tall, they are crashing 3 sometimes 4 guys on the boards. Hands are flailing all over the place knocking balls away, tie ups, etc. They look like they are playing with a seven man team. Good luck Bills this will be tough. Does anyone know if this is national on ESPN 2 or is this the fox game? I may get it here in the south.

...posters on this thread make for what those military types refer to as a "target rich environment," what with sweetslu72, bohemianwich, and royalroy all lined up for a strafing run.

don't lose sight of 2/25/04 in the "best team we'll face" consideration. heck, everyone is kicking the stuffing out of ohio state right now; san diego state beat 'em by 22.

so anyway fellas, how's youse guys doin?

gruehls-ie? What's up with Whaley? From the boxscores, he doesn't appear to be anywhere near where he was expected to be. Also, have you guys found a point guard to run the Tony/Field show just yet? Maxie getting the help he deserves?

Another country heard from.

Amazingly, the University of Cincinnati also appears to lack a P.E. degree-granting program. So what do all those guys take? "Addictions Studies," or "Criminal Justice"?

The biggest shame about our loss to WVU was that if the 'Neers actually come up with a winning record, Huggy won't have as much leverage for his next whinefest with the Cincy administration. That's always good for some off-season entertainment.

...and so are the bearcats. whaley tore some cartilage in his knee a couple weeks ago; he underwent arthroscopic surgery two days ago and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks. the 'cats don't play again until clemson on 12/17. he sat out the valpo game so that might be the only game he misses. huggs is rotating 9-10 deep with double figure minutes on average. whaley will come around. chadd moore and nick williams are keeping things under control as far as the ball handling.

unlike last year, these guys are deep and can score.

in the 80's when cremins was still into it, gt was regularly a pretty good team. after marbury left early though it seemed like he lost interest.

hewitt is a very good coach. heck he had people scared fo sienna for heavens sake. i would guess they will become a much more consistent performing school as long as he is coach.

gruehls, dont be telling naticat i said the bearcats were going to be good this year. i wouldnt live that down.

i saw that michael jackson wanted you for his attorney, what happened that he switched? you two would have made a nice "team".

1993: NCAA tourney

1994: NIT (losing, ironically, to Siena)

1996: NCAA tourney, Sweet Sixteen

1998: NIT, quarterfinals

1999: NIT

2001: NCAA tourney

2003: NIT, quarterfinals

2003-4 (early): Ranked 13th

I suggest that, although not exactly at the level of some of its conferencemates, Georgia Tech basketball has been "worth a damn" for the past decade.

If isnt isnt Taj raising Bearcat questions yet again. I believe the last time you did this they pulled off about 20 straight wins.

The king (Whaley) is fine, Just had a little knee problem taken care of yesterday which explains his slow start.

Chadd Moore and Nick Williams are doing a fine job at the point. The "Field/Tony" show has been a pleasant suprise. Bobbitt has done a complete 180 since last year.

Max finally is getting the help he needs inside. Hes had two double-doubles thus far in the year.

The best thing about this team is how darn deep they are. Huggins can pull the starting 5 and replace it with 5 guys who could start at alot of other schools.

And just think....James White is still to come (December 20th)

You know Taj, Its never to late to take off that ugly Billiken hockey jersey and throw on some of my red and black....

Go get them Wildcats tomorrow!

Love must have you blind, boy! Because I know that you know that there is no such thing as an "ugly" Billiken anyhting! What's the prob ... head in a spin! Gone all goosey, or what?!?!