Is SLU recruiting Leon Powell, Bobby Hill?

VTIME

It is everyone's responsibility at the school to help any student attain their goal. If Muse said he wants to go to SLU then that academic advisor can very easily tailor his advice to accomplish that. The truth is most Juco players are only interested in keeping themselves eligible to play so they take courses that are not going to transfer. I can tell you that it is no easy task to go to a Junior College as any student and try to make sure that 90% of your classes transfer to a four year institution and that you can come in as a Junior.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I heard they were interested, but don't have enough scholarships. UB is holding a couple of scholarships open for Div 2 transfers, 1 for an NAIA transfer and saving the rest of them for Vashon players.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Just trying to point out a scary coincidence that they have a player with the exact name, just one season after the T. Liddell graduated. Is there a relation. Did their father name all his kids Tommie Liddell or something.

> No it's not an exageration. The Big 12 has been a much

>better conference than CUSA.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H.

>Waldman

Marginally better, but not MUCH better. It was as recently as 2003-04 that C-USA sent 6 teams to the Dance and the Big 12 sent 4.

i've always kind of laughed at judging an entire conference on the strength of two programs. was the big ten the best conference last year since they had two teams in the final four? was the a-10 the best conference the year before based on st joes and xaiver both getting hot in the tourney? the answer is no to both questions. a better judge apparently is how good is the bottom half of the conference. look at cusa last year. the top half was extremely good, yet the bottom was terrible. cusa fell out of the top 8 conferences for the first time last year i think.

same with the atlantic ten. the top wasnt as good as years past, but the bottom was pure horrible. result was the worst overall finish in the power rankings in years.

problack, ask around town and see if there wasn't another Alburey(sp?) Doss that played when the PHL was in existence about 25 years ago. My fading memory suggest that the older Doss was a about 6-3/6-4, a lefty, played the SF position, and maybe played at K-State. Not sure if he played juco ball or not. The older Doss may have played at Vashon as well (only when it had boundries).

I know about all that, but if you look at Vashon's 07 class and think about the fact that Leon isnt there best sophomore and its like wow! Vashon was lucky to get Doss away from Dunwoody High School in Georgia who won the state title this year after dropping down a class. He was rated the #21 player in Georgia before transferring. Irons did a good job keeping this acquisition under wraps and not playin him much this past semester after he arrived over the Winter Break. The kid is 3 stars on rivals.com, those are strong credentials. You can find Doss on all the top recruiting websites. Boy did Vashon get a steal with this guy.

problack, why didnt you answer tsueg's question if you "know all about that"?

for those of us that dont know about the former doss, what's the legend and is there a connection to the alburey doss you are raving about?

I have no idea about the other Doss. Irons was there 25 years ago, so the other does would've played for if he went there 25 years ago. If they are father and son, I dont know why the younger Doss started his career in Georgia before moving to St. Louis. Doss transferred because he didnt like playing inside and he showed in AAU last summer that he can definitely flourish on the wing. While people in St. Louis were making a big deal about Lafayette's mid-season addition AJ Hawkins, Vashon had an even bigger addition and did a good job of keeping him a secret and avoiding an investigation. Doss will likely lead the team in scoring next year. Powell and Hill will challenge him for the scoring lead as well. 3 Major D1 prospects on this team. St. Louis doesnt know about Doss, but the national scouts sure do.

Does anyone remember 2 years ago when Borgia Played Vashon at Maryville in the quaterfinals? I was at that game and Muse was terrible. Vashon won the game but if I remember correctly Muse's play was awful, and tha is saying something, since Borgia's tallest player was 6'5. I don't know if I even want Muse on the team, even if he is available.

Vashon never tried to go down low to Muse. Vashon plays a passing game where they look for the open shot. The theme is balanced scoring and they werent looking to expose any mismatches. Irons doesnt want any one player outshining the rest of the team. Why would SLU pass on a 6'10 big man who's very long and can really jump. He'll give SLU a much needed dose of energy. If you give it to him inside, he wont lay it up, he'll dunk which is something you haven't been able to say about SLU big men in a long time.

whether he can dunk or not isnt the question. my question is will he defend and rebound? second, does he have the adequate academic credits to transfer to slu? if he hasnt wisely planned his academic schedule, and if he hasnt decided that defense and rebounding is his life's ambition then he shouldnt count on wearing billiken blue in the near future is my guess.

what about his grades and proper transferable credits though? that has to be in line now with only one more year at the juco level.

typical Muse game

http://dailyjournalonline.com/articles/200...rts/sports3.txt

http://www.mineralarea.edu/athletics/MBB-AllConf.htm

http://dailyjournalonline.com/articles/200...rts/sports1.txt

If you read most of the post game recaps about Mineral Area, on the website you will see that Muse finished everything inside strong with a dunk. He had several putback dunks as well. When is the last time we saw a SLU guard miss a layup only to have the ball slammed back through by a big man. I cant remember the last time. Give him the ball Soderberg and let him use his speed and athleticism to go around or through the opposition for a dunk. He's 6'10, very long and cant jump. Not many players in SLU's conference or D1 period who embody that combination.

The guy now stands 6'10 230 and was the fourth leading scorer on a team that won the conference title and has a D1 signee in Rob Kennedy and two first team all-conference players in Ken Burke (2003 All-Metro team) and leading scorer and All-Refion player Ryan Byrne who has signed to play with MO Baptist in the same conference where his brother Shawn just ended a stellar career at McKendree. Muse is a big-time D1 prospect and I hope he does have the credits to transfer to SLU, and that SLU recruits him until they know otherwise. Muse's Mineral Area team plays in a conference that has produced NBA players like Latrell Sprewell, Mitch Richmond, and Qyntel Woods. I'm not boasting about Muse because he's from Vashon, but because he's a nice inside player.

There are other Vashon players who have excelled at JUCO recently, Lorenzo Gordon was all-conference in 2004 and Joel Shelton was player of the year in the conference in 2003.

>Defense and rebounding are his strengths.

If Muse can qualify, I'd take him. An athletic big man who has proven chemistry with our PG is enough for me. BTW, if you watched the Billikens last year, you would see Ian dunking the ball (even over defenders) whenever he caught the ball close to the basket. The staff has obviously been drilling into his head that they want him to finish with a dunk around the basket.

jj,........you be the judge....

If you want to see Muse play locally next season....here are the dates:

Dec 11 at 6:00pm at Meramec showcase against Highland(Freeport,Ill)(D1)

Jan 11 at 7:30pm at SWIC(belleville) (D1)

Feb 8 at 7:00pm at Forest Park (D2)

Feb 22 at 7:00pm at Meramec (D2)