Is SLU recruiting Leon Powell, Bobby Hill?

VTIME

I'm not slamming him for taking Kern, I'm slamming him for not being able to land Kern and the Oppland's. Choosing Drejaj over the Oppland's is a big mystery to me. Look at the class of 2002 brought in. They would've been juniors this year. Drejaj would've been the only junior on the roster if it werent from Newborne transferring in. And for whoever made the Troy Slaten comment, I never said he would start. Arthur Clair would've been a nice pickup in 2002. Randal Falker would've been a nice pickup in the 2003 class. Passed on Corey Simms in 2001. Passed on most the entire SIU-Carbondale Roster which is in the tournament every year and would beat SLU

head-to-head. SLU passed on Alex Barnett this year. Great 6-5 shooting guard with range and athletic ability. Anybody know if they offered Bobby Hill?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"SLU passed on Alex Barnett this year"

And so did every school in the Valley. Some players you have a point with, but your tendency to lump in low major D-1 and D-2 players as players SLU should have signed nullifies any points you're trying to make.

Brad has gotten commitments from five of the area's best in the last 18 months. He's shored up any recruiting shortcomings you've accused of him of having. So why are you still bitching?

And anyway, Alex Barnett is going to Dartmouth. Even if we did offer him a scholarship, most kids wouldn't turn down the opportunity to go to an Ivy League school.

Wasn't Randall Falker interested in an engineering program that SLU doesn't offer?

I'll agree with you that he is doing a better job getting the local talent, but SLU is the lone D1 college in St. Louis if I'm not mistaken and should be able to get one or two of the top 5 players in the the metropolitan area each year in my opinion.

Here's my list of the top Saint Louis players in class of 2006.

Alex Tyus 6'7 Forward - Major D1 interest

Bobby Hill 6'6 Combo Guard - Rumored to have been offered by SLU

Sanijay Watts 6'4 Guard/Forward - Low Major D1 prospect

James Washington 5'9 Guard - Low D1 interest (Ivy League)

Marquise Jones 6'1 Guard - Low D1 prospect

Jonathan Mosley 6'3 Guard - Low D1 prospect

Morris Smith 6'2 Guard - Low D1 prospect

Corey Wright 6'4 Guard/Forward - Low D1 prospect

Kevin Harbour 6'1 Guard - Some D1 interest

If SLU could sign just one of these players and add them to Maguire I would say they've done a successful job recruiting the area in 2006.

I know where they finished 2004. You stated that Vashon is always in the top 10 in the nation. They are not always in the top 10 in the nation as a matter of fact over the last 10 years they are occasionally in the top 25 and one team in the top 10.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

in this type of recruiting. He would focus on signing a couple of stars out of state and then supplement it with in-state role players, such as Sandbothe, Church and Cavener.

Now the key is whether a low-to-mid Div I local prospect would be willing to take on such a role. Would he be willing to sit on the bench for long stretches and do all of the grunt work? I have no idea if that would be the case for Vashon players, but they have not had a history of perseverence at the college level.

Also when we are talking about players playing a secondary role, the preference would be bigger bodies. Who on Vashon's roster do you see feeling an enforcer, rebounding role to supplement scorers like Lisch, Polk and Liddell? Other than Leon Powell, who will probably be a high Div I prospect, I don't see anyone on Vashon's roster that would fit that bill.

I'm also leery about recruiting Bobby Hill because I fear that Irons could be a nuisance if Hill doesn't get the requisite playing time.

but with them signing Maguire, I wonder if they're still interested. I must say that I'm leery of offering Hill because he will have to fight for minutes unless Liddell doesn't become eligible or leaves early. Floyd Irons showed his true colors when harassing Quin over McKinney's minutes and he started.

Quite frankly, unless they're a top-notch recruit (better than 3-stars), I would be real careful in recruiting Vashon players. Unless, they can deal directly with the parents, like they did with Polk.

the opplands had committed to valpo long before drejaj ever came in the picture. mike oppland isnt even playing college basketball anymore after he couldnt make it first at valpo then at truman state. falkner wouldnt come to slu because slu did not have the major he wanted to be in. your list of division II players you wanted the billikens to take is hillarious. if they were so worthy, why are they all in division II? why didnt some horizon, or valley or mac school pick them up? you are really starting to look really uninformed and stupid problack. you need to stop and gather some background on slu first before making it any worse.

tyis has sold his soul to the devil in the form of the illinois warriors. he will go to the highest nike bidder. slu doesnt play that game. good luck to alex and i hope he is very happy with his new job.

where's leonard? true he didnt play much last year, but that hasnt lowered his stock with slu. my guess is that slu's remaining local scholarship will go to either hill or leonard and then the other will be used for an inside player.

the rest of your list would be a good one for truman state though.

I'm not familiar with "problack"? Secondly, going DII doesnt mean you arent a Division 1 caliber player, there are Division I caliber players in the DII, DIII and NAIA and JUCO ranks. Your college's basketball classification has nothing do with the individual talents they have. Cody Stoneburner was offered by Tulsa and Nebraska was signed with Quincy last week. Just because he's going DII doesnt mean he isnt a DI caliber player. AAU is a huge factor in going DI. Everybody in St. Louis cant play for the Eagles and Gateway. There are only so many spots. And with some Illinois players playing on St. Louis teams and Vice Versa a lot of players will get overlooked. There are DII players like Avery Johnson, Ronald Murray, Jerome Beasley, DIII Devean George. Dennis Rodman came from NAIA. The guys in SLU's new conference that A-10 are high major recruits either, so stop knocking the St. Louis talent. SIU-Carbondale would beat SLU if they played right now. They continually win with area players. You can attribute some of that to a weaker conference, but they still have a better team than SLU right now. Liddell and Lisch will help in that regard next year, but has managed to bring in another nice class from the area. SLU should be able to corner the market on St. Louis talent at least to the point where a player like Kalen Grimes or a Matt Lawrence doesn't go Mizzou over SLU.

Hill and Liddell can both play all 3 wing positions so they can play together instead of fighting for minutes. Also Hill is a 3 star player as you mentioned which is nothing to sneeze at. Any player rated higher than 3 is unlikely to sign with the likes of SLU anyway.

comments like "the likes of slu" wont win you many friends on this board problack. you are talking one of the closest knit fan boards you have ever seen and if you want civil discussion, you might want to be more careful about showing your alliance.

if you arent problack, then that is just amazing. your subject matter, beliefs, opinions, style, etc is exactly problack.

since problack has been banned from every board i have seen him post at though, i can understand your want to disassociate from that moniker. my suggestion might be to change your focus or subject matter and the way you present then as well or i can guarantee you wont be accepted here either. if you remember, i was one of the few that defended you at stltoday. it is my belief, you will get piled on here even worse than at stltoday.com because of the close knit beliefs of the regular posters here.

>I'm not familiar with "problack"? Secondly, going DII

>doesnt mean you arent a Division 1 caliber player, there are

>Division I caliber players in the DII, DIII and NAIA and

>JUCO ranks. Your college's basketball classification has

>nothing do with the individual talents they have. Cody

>Stoneburner was offered by Tulsa and Nebraska was signed

>with Quincy last week. Just because he's going DII doesnt

>mean he isnt a DI caliber player. AAU is a huge factor in

>going DI. Everybody in St. Louis cant play for the Eagles

>and Gateway. There are only so many spots. And with some

>Illinois players playing on St. Louis teams and Vice Versa a

>lot of players will get overlooked. There are DII players

>like Avery Johnson, Ronald Murray, Jerome Beasley, DIII

>Devean George. Dennis Rodman came from NAIA. The guys in

>SLU's new conference that A-10 are high major recruits

>either, so stop knocking the St. Louis talent.

>SIU-Carbondale would beat SLU if they played right now.

>They continually win with area players. You can attribute

>some of that to a weaker conference, but they still have a

>better team than SLU right now. Liddell and Lisch will help

>in that regard next year, but has managed to bring in

>another nice class from the area. SLU should be able to

>corner the market on St. Louis talent at least to the point

>where a player like Kalen Grimes or a Matt Lawrence doesn't

>go Mizzou over SLU.

Matt Lawrence??? We got Liddell and Lisch coming in and Maguire the year after that. Why should we care about not getting Lawrence? Kalen Grimes can't even beat out Kevin Young for playing time.

Coaches always play favorites, doesnt mean Grimes isnt better than Young, get a clue. How do you think Morris Peterson felt sitting behind Charlie Bell and David Thomas at Michigan State. How did Abdre Iguodala feel sitting behind Rick Anderson at Arizona. How did Marvin Williams feel sitting behind Jackie Manuel at UNC. Just because one guy plays over another doesnt mean the player on the bench isnt better. Most colleges dont start their best five players.

>Coaches always play favorites, doesnt mean Grimes isnt

>better than Young, get a clue. How do you think Morris

>Peterson felt sitting behind Charlie Bell and David Thomas

>at Michigan State. How did Abdre Iguodala feel sitting

>behind Rick Anderson at Arizona. How did Marvin Williams

>feel sitting behind Jackie Manuel at UNC. Just because one

>guy plays over another doesnt mean the player on the bench

>isnt better. Most colleges dont start their best five

>players.

Then Grimes is a fool for playing for Snyder. That's his fault. Young is getting a lot more minutes. Grimes either sucks because he can't outplay Young or he's getting screwed by Snyder.

As for Lawrence? LOL! You idiot! Mizzou can have him. I think we'll take Lisch and Liddell.

Why am I an idiot? All I said that I wish they could've gotten Matt Lawrence, not that they shouldnt have gotten lisch and liddell, I wanted all three. I dont understand why you resort to name calling. Also, The way Quin Snyder took the team from the NCAA Tourney Elite 8 to back-to-back NIT first round exits should leave room for people to question some of his personnel moves.

why would any rational person that knows that brad soderberg would only play 5 guards a night and already has luke meyer, danny brown, dwayne polk, kevin lisch, and tommie liddell ahead of him and coach favorite anthony drejaj returning even consider coming to slu? lawrence would have no chance to play at slu.