Notable Scores

TheA_Bomb

thanks ... I think that is crazy ... so if you play the 200th rpi team and win 75-74 it means the same as if you win 75 -45. Now how does that help prove how good of a team you are.

I know if team 1 plays team 3 and wins by 1

then team 2 plays team 3 and wins by 30

I'm betting on team 2 when they play team 3. Apparently the folks who devise the rpi ... would give the game between teams 1 and 2 a pick em line. .... Hmmm ... I wander if they have a resident bookie

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I watched the whole game. I kept thinking that Oakland was playing the game of their lives and that they would fold under the superior MU depth and firepower. Nope - they took it to the final seconds. They went head to head for the full 40 and didn't give an inch. At one point, I thought MU might fold - that they might get nervous that they couldn't put this team away and choke at the end. However, it was Oakland that missed the crucial FTs at the end. Kudos to MU for keeping it together to the end. I think SLU needs to do some recruiting in Detroit if that team is representative of the local talent.

The athletic level of Oakland was astounding. They were hitting shots in people's faces. I knew it couldn't last...but it did. Yes, both teams were playing uptempo. It amazed me that Oakland could maintain that pace for the whole game. SLU could not play run and gun with Oakland - not a chance. We'd have to slow it down to a crawl and take them out of their game. And we probably could, and frustrate them. But they took on MU at its own game - and nearly won. It was fine basketball.

True, but it not counting prevents teams from running up the score some. I mean, I bet SLU could have left its starters in for the last 2 games all the way, and won by even more than they did. You have a point, just I would prefer keeping teams from running up the scores.

Steve

could be added by including a diminishing marginal effect. For instance, a team would get credit for a victory up until a point. Let's say that standard is 25 points. If a team wins by any more than 25 points, they would not get extra bonus points.

unca, they did make some shots, but they also got to the lane consistently to take good shots. missouri did not play defense imo. at least not the in the face ball denial defense that has become so prevalent in college basketball over the last 10 years. maybe quin thought they couldnt shoot and thus the defensive style. imo, that would just be stupid though. my guess is that most of the missouri players were more concerned with showtime at the other end and were resting on the defensive side of the court since surely oakland college wasnt good enough to be on the same court with them. as i said before, if last nite is typical of the defensive effort missouri will play all year, they are not a top 20 team. for the tigerfandom's sake, let's hope that they decide to play both ways in the future.

I agree Roy, but it was the first game afterall. Look around the country and ranked teams everywhere aren't exactly coming out lighting teams up. Either there's alot of parity in college basketball this year, these ranked teams aren't as good as expected, or it's their first games of the season and they're all chipping off some rust. Time will tell which one it is.

IS THIS WAS A ROAD GAME. There's a reason why elite teams avoid playing mid-majors on the road. FT disparities are a key reason why home teams usually prevail. Look at the stats, Oakland shot over 30 FTs and they're not even an inside team. If they shoot 15 FTs, like they would have in Columbia, this game is not even close.

Several of us aren't Mizzou haters. Mizzou has a couple of different discussion boards for those who want to discuss and revel in Mizzou wins. Those of us who frequent here are alumni of SLU; thus, we are more interested in the Billikens. Go to PowerMizzou.com and you'll find brethern who will eagerly share your Mizzou enthusiasm. Quite frankly, most of us could care less about Mizzou basketball (aside from any concerns of the use of our tax dollars).

How about that Gary Pinkel-- there-- a positive Mizzou post. You're likely to get a big Mizzou hug on the aforementioned board than this or any other school discussions.

I seem to remember that A-Bomb started this with his SPUMAC comments. It's obvious that SLU fans like to revel in Mizzou's misery. That's fine, but just know Mizzou fans will respond in kind.

and if we did the same at tigerboard, they would shove our comments up our.......well you know. the point is, dont expect hugs and kisses about anything tigerwise here.

I guess I don't read frequently enough to know the threads that are the primary source of your concern. I just don't follow Mizzou basketball and don't really care about their acheivements-- good or bad. This may be a carryover from Norm Stewart. Quin Snyder hasn't exactly shown admirable traits. Contrast him with Pinkel, who comes across as a no nonsense hard worker. Best of luck to the football Tigers!

I agree with you. No way a 1 point victory should be looked upon the same as a 20 point victory. A victory should also count more if the victory was on the road. I also believe 20 points should be the limit. There is no reason to go out and embarass a team unless it is a rival game. Next thing you know someone will be whining about TCU not being a BCS team with 1 loss.

I don't quite get your comment. Teams can still trounce teams by over 40. It's just that they will no be incentive attached to doing that. That would solve the problem of coaches who run up the score because they feel that they have to.

Thanks for the info ... I understand that margin of victory doesn't count in the ratings ... I just think it should?

But obviously what I think doesn't matter ... as no one from the rpi has called to ask my opinion.

Seriously ... I may email them and ask what is the reasoning for not giving margin of victory any credence.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman