Pearl As UT New HC...

Schasz

Yeah they did....but O'Neil is a chronic job hopper...the former Lute assistant ...let's see off of the top of my head...Marquette...inherited nothing, very bad program and made them sweet 16, ...never embraced alums, the Al McGuire stuff etc..by all accounts an ass to deal with...goes to Tennessee...clash from the start...did get some good recruits...but that was never going to work. Northwestern...are you following this chronic "rebuilding thing" going on....academic standards tough...not great hoops support...etc...NBA assistant through his connections to guys like Van Gundy ...at Detroit and New York before that...credited for great opponent field goal percentage defense....Toronto Raptors job...that one didn't last...and around he goes.....he once was a tremendous recruiter...got burned out bgi time on college game...and made the NBA assistant jump....good dough...little accountability...off of the top of my head don't even know where he is now....anyone?

Pearl...that one is interesting...he obviously is afraid he won't get another crack at a big time conference any time soon....especially when/if UWM doesn't repeat their success....the guy nevert got a sniff for 9 long years in D II....sure it is a lot more $$....too....the kids in that area go to Memphis, Louisville, and UK. I think there is enough talent and potential for possible sweet 16 in future there...he will have to pull off some magic for more than that. But he has to strike while the iron is hot...get in...make some progress and see where it takes him...and his seven figure package. What if he stayed, UWM loses tourney final next year and no NCAA....Pearl fades away again....Tennessee happens to be the opening...could have gotten luckier with the opening...it will be some tough work for him...but very possible....and this shows he wasnts to be in big time ball.

...yes they do except McCants a big player and leader.

So, how is a jewish guy from the Northeast going to fit in at Knoxville? We'll see. Couldn't be any worse than the Irish Catholic. Pearl's people skills are better.

As long as they don't screw up the coach UWM will be good next year. If Tucker develops his ball handling skills a little more, he will be even better than the NCAA tourney, which was pretty darn good.

My guess is Pearl had the sweet 16 mid major mojo going for him. Also, more of an extrovert than Lutz....Lutz hasn't moved from Charlotte even though he's a regular at the dance year in year out. You would have thought an ACC team would have scooped him up by now and maybe VA will want to talk to him. With what he had this year I'm surprised the niners didn't make a little bit of a run. Whithers and Badsen alone would just about guarantee an invite. Toss in Plavik and that team should have made it past rd 1. If I was a niner fan I'd be a little down on him....especially since they got their long awaited shot at an instate ACC team and didn't win.

A lot of guys get it going in one place and stay for a career - that's what were hoping for here, right? When you're successful, you start to get a lot of ancillary income even if the school doesn't have a big budget. At some point, it just becomes numbers on a piece of paper; your lifestyle doesn't change that much. The big upside in staying is that your family leads a normal life, you lead more of a normal one, and you make and keep the friendships that make a life worthwhile. The ever bigger paycheck doesn't take care of that. Plus, what a recruiting edge over time - the players know you'll be there. I don't mind a guy returning to his alma mater when the once in a lifetime shot is available...but I don't get Lon Kruger leaving IL, and other similar moves by others.

....right about Kruger...money talks....

Pearl will be getting a $600k raise. It is my understanding that Pearl was their top choice. .....Pearl's total package will be in the SEVEN figures...so much for the saving money theory or other coaches pricing them out theory....Who would turn down a $600k raise in a regular job?

As for a proven successful coach...that is the one thing Pearl is....a proven successful coach everywhere he has been....and some tough places to coach too....

as for not staying somewhere...this is a different case...Pearl wants to coach in big time ball to see what he can do. Despite his success at Milwaukee...they are not big time ball with big time resources...when your coach greets fans at the gym at games...it isn't big time ball. Tennessee happens to be the opening right now, and he has to strike while the iron is hot...he could have been luckier with the opening. I wouldn't bet against him...his team was good last year but blew the conference tourney...and should have beaten ND in the dance two years ago....

One thing I do find interesting...for a guy who always says he's happy where he is...Dana Altman sure does interview elsewhere plenty.

Court - I am assuming the figures you are sharing are for the entire term of the contract - how many years? Spoon interviewed everywhere also even when he was at SMS so that does not mean anything. Seems to me that if I was a coach like Altman - I would owe it to myself to at least listen to offers, you never know someone really might just make you an offer you can not refuse as well as it might get you more money from your current school - in this case Creighton. I know before I quite working, I was contacted by different employers all the time, I was committed to the organization I was with for lots of reasons but I never once did not listen - sometimes it got me more money, more security, more respect from the group I was with. Like I said, you owe it to yourself to listen.

I don't have any problem with Altman...or his interviewing elsewhere seemingly most seasons...but in the end remaining at Creighton. If it were me and a school I was interested in wanted to talk to me...I would listen too.

It is sort of lightly humorous I suppose that it happens so frequently for Altman, and yet he is always back at Creighton.

If you are asking about Pearl's numbers....he used to get 250k at UWM, then upped to 300k...not counting tv, radio shows, country club membership etc...and some other perks....the UT deal is 5 years, 800k per year, not counting tv, radio shows, and some other things...that figure does include 250k addidas deal......total package is rumored to reach above $1 million.