Added Interest For Illini-Bruce Pearl

Schasz

Yep, Bruce was the Iowa Asst. that turned the Illini into the NCAA in what the late 80's. Do you think that the team might be reminded about this a time or two before the game? Surely, the Illini Alums remember Bruce quite well. This just adds a little more drama to this game.

not only did he "turn them in", if my memory serves me correctly, it was never proven to be true, i.e. he made up the accusations.

a taped telephone call? I don't remember the details of this at all but we've all seen that the NCAA sometimes doesn't find guilt where it is obviously is (i.e. Mizzou and the lack of academic fraud although everyone and their mother knows they arranged to have Clemmons take those 24 hours).

Can't wait for Cheesy to respond to this post and tell me just how wrong I am.

dion thomas said when the ncaa got involved that pearl had been harrassing him to death and lead him into that phone call. basically railroading him to say what he said in the taped call and he made the statement in an effort to just get him off the phone. i dont recall there ever being an actual chevy blazer being found by dion thomas as pearl's tape confessed.

the ending verdict by the ncaa was more or less, "well we couldnt find anything, but there was a lot of gray area scenarios happening that lou henson was unaware of so we are putting on probation for loss of institutional control".

i think the ncaa beleived that collins had chicago coaches in his hip pocket and went out of their way to try to have him put out of business. i also beleive that the illini boosters blamed collins for the probation and thus never gave him the job of the illini coach when hensen left that had been promised to him for years by hensen.

Illinois was not found guilty of the direct allegations regarding Thomas being provided with a Blazer but they were found guilty of other infractions penalized, including a probation.

Another irony of the story is that Pearl made the taping of the conversation with Collins who is not the coach of Ill.-Chicago who is in the same league with Wisc.-Milwaukee. Collins still refuses to shake hands with Pearl when the two teams play. I think it doubly difficult for Collins now because Wisc.-Milwaukee always beats Ill.-Chi.

The P.D. had a good story on this entire situation last week.

to correct one of your statements. UIC and Jimmy collins won the Horizon League championship game against UW-Milwaukee on UWM's home court last year to get to the NCAA Tournament. collins has also been to the NCAA tournament three times. his teams have beaten UWM a few times along the way.

bad boyz for life

After a run like his team has made in this year's Tourney...a HC at a mid major like Pearl would be a hot commodity. Does anyone think that his involvement in this Illini probation might mean that he wouldn't be considered at any higher profile job? I'm just wondering what some of you folks think.

henson seems to be a very well liked person in the college basketball circles. i am sure many people remember what pearl did to henson and would not even consider him for a position.

on the other hand, there is no denying what he has accomplished at umw and there are enough greedy wannabes out there that would take a snake in a second to just win. i am betting he is moving up after this season is over. what will be interesting is who takes him.

I have good friends in Champaign. Illini fans uniformly hate Pearl. They all believe that Thomas told Pearl he was getting all that stuff so he would leave him alone. Dion had already committed to U of I, but Pearl was still dogging him. I wonder what Pearl's position would have been if Dion had illegally taped the conversation; played it straight, and then turned in Pearl for any incentive offered. For the record, I have no personal knowledge of Pearl or the situation, and I like it when the big programs get caught handing out stuff. Still, this situation has always seemed to me to be sour grapes, and a personal vendetta on Pearl's part. If not, why the taping? What's the motive - it's not his job to play NCAA detective. How well would any team recruit if every conversation started off with "I'm taping this conversation?"

Over on the A-10 board someone had linked earlier, there was a long post about the next coach at UMass. I guess Pearl started out east at one time and a few on the board thought UMass might make a run after him. Kind of interesting I thought, but certainly a good coach who probably has to run one of the cleanest programs around because there are probably more than a few coaches that would like to turn him in.

This link is from the Chicago Sun Times and written by Taylor Bell, a UofI grad in the 60's but not an Illini supporter. We all have those type. Yet, this is the first in a long time I've ever seen Tinker "as we call him on IB" support the Illini. He was very involved in the investigation of this event.

People on both sides have their opinions. I'm sure you all have or will gain your opinion on it too.

Swine before Pearl has had his say a lot in the last few days. Here is another.

[link]http://www.suntimes.com/output/campus/cst-spt-bell21.html[/link]

I, an Illin fan, have had a few conversations with JalensDad who I feel is a good egg and I also have a very good friend who is a Billiken fan, so I'll refrain from ripping on you for you comment. I've also defended the Billiken program against many critics this year ( Missouri knuckleheads).

You all don't like Missouri fans coming on this board and being pests and I, a guest, will be nice.

I hope in the future, you need to learn to have a little respect, or at least back up what you say, sonny.

I'm sure the Illini and UWM players (the ones that will decide this game)aren't interested in this at all, it's ancient history, and it just takes away from the fact that the Illini have an outstanding team on the verge of doing something great. Their fans juvenile whining takes away from their accomplishments. Unfortunately I expect them to totally embarass themselves Thursday night in front of a national TV audience. That team (and their coach, a UWM graduate) deserves better.

Oh you'll see Pearl get booed unmercifully. If that's all it is, it's ok. I'm sure there will be plenty of security which should stop any fool from doing something outrageous.

I think the fans realize what's at stake here. 15 year old wounds aren't worth messing the game up. The fans respect this team too much. Plus, many of these seats are alloted to OSU, Arizona and UWM fans too.

I told my SLU buddy this past weekend that I prayed for BC to win since I knew the fans wouldn't take playing Pearl too well.

I think, in the end, it'll all be ok, just a lot of booing.

1) People in Chicago and U of I faithful haven't gotten over this as much of Cardinal nation hasn't gotten over 1985.

2) Pearl did go to BC....the UMASS discussion

3) James Augustine's uncle is the baseball coach at UWM...and he speaking for the players said they could give two bleeps about it.

4) When I looked up credibility in the dictionary I didn't see Deon Thomas' picture, nor his mom's. ...nor Jimmy Collins. Though, Collins has seemed to have had UWM's number over the years at UIC and not the other way around as somebody pointed out...

5) Who's car was nicer...Deon's or the one Pat Kennedy got for Quentin Richardson?

Pearl is what he is...self-admitted chip on his shoulder...a talker....great for tv, radio shows, or hocking cars(Spoon anyone), etc...a bull shitter....a salesman, the guy who would greet you at the gym as you entered and he'd say thanks for coming...and you'd be like geez was that the coach...he's one of us....but the same guy who parks in the illegal zone out front of a building...comes racing out when he gets a ticket and says to the cop...don't you know who I am? and drops some f bombs....(anybody else see the video of UWM who was apparently locked out of the Cleveland St gym for practice because they didn't bring picture id...more f bombs than Robert Montgomery Knight.) He is a winner when it comes to coaching...winning everywhere he has been, somehow some way....the guy is great theater, never boring....and wins...and has the whispers and 16 year old baggage.....if you are a school with a chip on your shoulder, he's perfect. He can coach, no doubts there, and recruit....

that is the way i remember the story as well. my favorite part was where pearl was paying dion's best friend to report his every move.

1) I agree.

2) I never said anything about where Pearl when to school.

3) I agree, I never said the players cared and I'm glad they don't.

4) I don't see your picture either.

5) Deon never drove a Chevy Blazer. Nice try.

Go to Illiniboard and read the humungous thread about the incident. Put your two cents in there so people who know much more than I about it can reply to you, if you're so inclined.

Have a nice day.

Just because I posted under you doesn't mean my post was entirely in reference to you. Why so defensive?

Pearl's East Coast connections were referenced above.

The Deon Thomas incident could take up its own thread here.

Middle aged and up U of I fans are the ones who can't let it go on the Pearl thing. A non-story for me. Hopefully he will get his boos and people move on, end of story.

If the U of I is as defensive as you, I like their chacnes Thurs night.

If you weren't replying to me, why did you repond to me? The logical assumption would be that you are. Also, why are you responding to me on a post where I was speaking with Roy. A little more posting savvy on your part would clearup a lot of confusion. Not being critical here, just making a suggestion.

I'm not being anymore defensive than you are being accusatory. Heck I agree with you on some points.

Deano,

I am rooting big time for the Illini to cut down the ultimate National Championship nets. You have a fan down here in Palm Harbor, FL who has enjoyed each game that I have seen your team play, and I probably saw about 8 of your games on TV. The thing that has been impressive to me is if your offense has a little problem...maybe an off night shooting...your defense is enough to overcome the off night. Now there are some games from here out that the offense may not be able to completely overcome a bad shooting night. Let's hope that the 3 guards can start lighting it up from here on out.