The SIU players we missed

ACE

Anybody see Randy Bennett's comments about Romar missing out on Brooks at SLU? I thought that was interesting. There's a lot of discussion about Brooks and Shaw, but a guy I wish we had gotten was Jamal Tatum from Jefferson City.

i brought up tatum's name somewhere, not sure if it was here or another forum, and was informed that he isnt teh greatest of citizen. apparently has been arrested a few times, has a number of children already, etc. as a basketball player, i agree he is very talented, but if half of that is true about his personal life, that is a time bomb ready to explode.

Roy, you heard that from me. Being from a town in mid-mo that plays in Helia's conference (Tatum's alma mater) I've heard some things about his past. He did indeed have at least two kids by the time he was a senior in high school. Plus last year he got arrested/suspended for I believe breaking a window of a police station. He was definitely a great player in hs..scored 35-40 on my school a couple times, but definitely not the kind of character I want wearing the Billiken blue.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I find a little trouble in your statements Roy. If having children out of wedlock and in college is what you deem to not be a model citizen, then there are several former talented and prominent athletes at SLU even that fit that description. I will not name names for privacy sake. I personally would not want a child in that situation and am not condoning the action for myself or others, however, I do tend to find your remarks a bit on the offensive side.

Brooks- definitely tough excellent player

Shaw- great potential for a freshman

Faulker- would only be a supportive player

I am not interested in Tatum, not just the off the court stuff ie arrest etc.....but I am just not impressed with his play. The second half against SMS the only player who tried to drive against the zone was Brooks the rest were content to pass pass pass fire up three off the rim......we have enough of those players.

I checked into this because like Roy said this is the second time this has come up so I thought I would try to get some answers. Anyway, I didn't check on if he has kids or not, it is really not our business and I don't think it should be a factor on recruiting someone or not.

His father is a professor at Lincoln College in Jeff City, mother the supervisor of the Jeff City public schools. He was on honor roll every semester in high school, Helias HS--the Catholic high school in Jeff City. Has a 3.74 GPA in speech communications at SIU.

Here is an article I found that sort of explains what happened. Obviously one should not break a window in the police station, but overall a pretty minor incident. He was only suspended 1 game.

Overall I would say this is a kid we probably should have recruited. I don't know if we were or not, but nothing I see is a reason not to. Also his arrest was after he was at college, couldn't hold this against him on the recruiting trail.

CARBONDALE -- Known for his explosions of speed on the court, it is a fit of anger that will keep Southern Illinois University men's freshman point guard Jamaal Tatum off it Wednesday.

The 6-foot-1 reserve from Jefferson City, Mo., received a one-game suspension Monday following his arrest over the weekend by Carbondale police.

He will not play in the Salukis' next game, a trip to Missouri Valley Conference foe Indiana State on Wednesday.

Tatum, 19, has been charged with criminal damange to state-supported property, a Class 4 felony, after breaking a window on an interior door of the Carbondale police station Saturday morning.

"Jamaal obviously made an error in judgement and let his emotions get the best of him by hitting a window at the police station," said SIU head coach Matt Painter in a school release. "He is very remorseful about the situation and understands that he did not represent himself, his family or Saluki basketball in a first-class manner."

Tatum was not allowed to comment, but did practice with the team Monday night. Tatum initially found himself in custody earlier when he was arrested at around 4:30 a.m. after refusing to identify himself to police when officers were investigating an unrelated incident.

Tatum was charged with resisting arrest, a petty offense that results in a small fine, much like a traffic ticket.

There was no physical resistance, said interim Carbondale Police Chief Steve Odum, but citizens are required by law to give some form of identification when there is a reasonable request made by law enforcement officials.

Failure to cooporate results in arrest. The night could have ended there, but instead the situation apparently got more heated.

Tatum was released and while paperwork was being processed, his brother, Derrick, confronted officers outside the dispatcher's desk at the station.

Odum said Derrick was told to leave and refused to do so and was then also arrested and charged with tresspass to state-supported property, a misdemeanor.

At that point, Odum said, Jamaal got upset and that's when he is alleged to have broken out a small 1-foot by 1-foot window on a wooden door in the interior of the police station.

Odum said the criminal damage to property charge is for damage of less than $500.

Both Tatum brothers were released on $100 bond and will have upcoming court dates.

Large fines and a short jail term are the maximum punishments for Class 4 felonies.

Tatum has played in all 10 games for SIU this season with one start. He is averaging 8.4 points and 22.4 minutes per game.

For the third time this season, the Southern Illinois University men's basketball team will go to battle without one of its key players.

SIU played its first two exhibition games without junior starting guard Stetson Hairston, who was suspended over the summer for violation of team rules.

Last week, the Salukis beat Illinois State with Brad Korn on the bench with a bout of the flu.

[email protected] 618-529-5454 x15085

I'm not going to name any names, but I know a person who worked at Helias during Tatum's high school career and they told me that he wasn't the kind of kid SLU wanted. Basically saying he was a trouble maker and didn't have very good character. I don't know Tatum personally, but that's what I was told and my source is a pretty good judge of character. Although there probably isn't much need to debate this anyway. SIU has him and all we can do is look forward and hope for better seasons to come.

We hail Saint Louis U."

Actually I could care less that he beat my high school. I had already graduated by then and lost total interest. The only reason why I ever know that anything happens at my old high school is because I work at the local radio station. That's the only reason I knew he played so well against them. I don't spread rumors about people and I think other people on the board would back me up on that. That's great that he's at SIU and playing well. All I was saying is that I wouldn't want him on the Bills from what I've heard about him. Aren't I allowed to have my own opinion dawg?

We hail Saint Louis U."

Go back and read your own post!! You are spreading rumors you said that you heard from somebody at his old high school that he is not a quality person. But you didn't give any facts or names of your sources. If you indeed do work for a radio station go to your boss and ask him what would happen if you said the same thing over the air. (lawsuit)

We might as well try and join up with the Ivy league if we are going to restrict recruiting to the types of players you want Roy.

No one is perfect and college, especially SLU, should be about making boys men. I am not advocating recruiting death row inmates but taking a flyer on a kid like tatum should be well within SLUs range.

I'm keeping my source anonymous, which is allowed in the media. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. I admit I don't know the guy. All I was saying is that my source, who is a good judge of character, said that SLU would be better off without him and I will take him at his word. The fact that he broke a police station window last year doesn't help his defense. Why does this bother you so much anyway? He will never be a Billiken so the subject might as well be dropped. Welcome to the Billiken board, however.

We hail Saint Louis U."

actually, it is my understanding shaw did originally want to come to slu but brad chased grimes instead. painter jumped at the opportunity to remind shaw that he was second choice after that. and showed more love early than the billikens.

• 2 weeks later...