Who is going to score next year???

ACE

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

norman i only meant to infer the style of play. sorry for the slam. your team's great championship run is one of my favorites.

Let's think like Brad for a minute. What's the best way to get Ian the ball in scoring position? Liddell delivering the entry pass from the wing. Polk is too short to see over the defender. So I think we'll see Liddell leading the team in assists even if he isn't officially the point guard. Also, I much rather have Lisch and Liddell as Ian's outets on the wing when the shot clock is winding down.

You know I was talking to Shooter the other day and he mentioned how the boys are really going to have to come together as a team next season. They could have used some more of that this season.

He wishes Coach Soderberg well in breaking in the young colts next year, as they will need to produce. We pretty much agree that the Drejaj kid played on one of our Hickory teams.

for Josh Fischer....I remember a game at depaul just before half when we were going to play for the last shot......Josh Fried up a three from the corner, (in Soderberg first year) and Brad almost had a stroke!!! The next year JF did not seem make those same bad choices.

I think as you say drejaj's attempt to reach for the flash, is a case where he starts to feel desperate, we are not scoring or we need a stop etc.....With his tenacity he may not start the whole season, but someone will have to beat him out by showing it in practice, and they may very well fo that, but he'll still gets good minutes.

My point is that he's only been given one opportunity and he was successful...How many opportunities have you had in your life to make a hole-in-one?

How do we know that Drejaj wouldn't be successful in say 6 out of 8 of these opportunities?

Whether you like it or not Drejaj will be the leader of this team next year. Where I think our opinions differ is that I don't think being the team leader requires one to be the leading scorer or rebounder, or the guy to hit the shot at the buzzer.

Jdad - you are correct about AD and I hope Brad realizes that playing AD big minutes is not what is in the best interest of this team - next year could be a good year for us or it could be just another building block year for our young players and AD does not fit in as a starter - support role yes.

AD had his chance to be a leader this year but he came back a worse shooter than the year before - no improvement what makes you think he will change. If AD is taking the last shot this team is in deeper trouble then this year. He has been given only one chance in three years for a reason - he is not a good shooter. That shot you have memorialized was not even suppose to be his - he took it because the person who was suppose to take it could not get open. Don't make AD into something he is not.

Unless AD undergoes some major transformation over the summer, I don't see him as a go to guy next year or the leader, unless he's cheering from the bench. In fact if he's getting more than 7 mpg next year, we're in for another long season. If he's getting more than that, KL and TL were not the players we were led to believe. We're playing a 3 guard offense, that's 120 minutes, if all you AD supporters are right and he gets 25 of those that leaves only 95 for TL, KL, DP, DB, and LM or 19 on average. So let's say DP gets his 30, down to 65 for four. Got to figure TL and KL are going to see at least 25. That leaves 15 for LM and DB. From only the two times I've seen them, I'd rather LM and DB get more than AD. LM scraps just as hard, is bigger, better shot, takes care of the ball better, and is an equal defender. DB is more athletic and provides probably as much scoring punch as AD. I would like someone to convince me that AD, based on the last two years performance, is a guy that should get major minutes. Great, he made a buzzer beater and had 27 pts his freshman year against UAB...since these two events pretty much nothing.

If you're trying to convince me, or anyone else here that he doesn't belong then you're barking up the wrong tree. The only person that has any decision here is his coach and his coach thinks he belongs.

Until he starts getting outperformed both offensively and defensively he will get his minutes, and I just don't see him allowing that to happen.

If I'm wrong I will be the first one to come back and admit it.

This is in response to the Drejaj comments from this thread not just your comments..What gets me is that at SLU, having your players earn there starting spots isn't even considered. Everyone seems ready to just hand over the team to new guys who has to learn Brad's system which we all know "takes a minute". To guys who also have to deserve to start just like Drejaj, just like any of the other guys. I think Luke and Danny Brown showed tremendous efforts this season, why would they not even be considered, why assume that Kevin and Tommie will "immediately" turn the team around. Afterall it's a team, if these guys came onto the team with an attitude as u suggest Jalensdad, as an Upperclassmen and probably captain or co-captain (Drejaj) I would check them right from the beginning. Make sure they understand that I'm a leader. How will the kids learn if it's just given to them because of what their skills were on the High school level. This is College...then if the kids do start over Drejaj and doesn't perform as everyone expects we'll be reading threads about their inefficiencies...or not so supportive comments...

What if Drejaj is the man next year, if he's the glue that keeps this team winning, how will everyone feel then? Everyone will be singing his praises..we're comparing these Freshman to other SLU players but then if for some reason they can't live up to that, we're ready to drop them..I can't wait until next year..I will remember this thread. I agree with Taj..it doesn't mean Drejaj will be leading scorer etc..but I guarantee you, he will be the one who vocally and mentally keep this team tight. If I'm wrong next season, I'll admit it then. But until then, I don't care how good guys were before the team, in high school, in juco, in prep school, it's how they play WITH!! the team that counts. Reg was good in prep school, high school, he didn't get a pass from scruitiny, But Kevin and Tommie does..is it because Reg wasn't from St. Louis..what's the deal..

Again nothing personal, I'm responding to the overall tone of the thread, I could be once again mis-reading, you all know how I can be very emotional...

>Let's think like Brad for a minute. What's the best way to

>get Ian the ball in scoring position? Liddell delivering

>the entry pass from the wing. Polk is too short to see over

>the defender. So I think we'll see Liddell leading the team

>in assists even if he isn't officially the point guard.

>Also, I much rather have Lisch and Liddell as Ian's outets

>on the wing when the shot clock is winding down.

Agree with 3Star on this one. In our offense, PG is really just the guy who brings the ball up the floor and initiates the offense (and occasionally backs the ball out to reset). That's an important task but, once the offense starts, the 3 guards rotate and cut including the PG. Note that Dwayne generally takes his jump shots from the wing, not the top of the key.

Bigger question for next year's team: who is going to have the ball in his hands as the clock runs down on offense? In the beginning of the year that was Reggie but by the end of the year it was Polk (although, on occasion, Drejaj would hold the ball and not give it up as the clock wound down). Next year, I gotta believe the guy with the ball in his hands as the shot clock winds down or the end of a half is going to be Tommie Liddell. 9 times out of 10, he is going to get a good shot for himself or teammate.

Another issue: who has the ball when we transition on offense? Although TL might be used to that roll in prep school, I think we are best served by Dwayne Polk having the ball in his hands on transition. I've never seen anybody as quick up the floor with the ball as Dwayne and Tommie might be the best finisher on the break we have had since Larry Hughes (as Mo Jeffers and Justin Love were not chopped liver in this department, I'll reserve judgment until we see Tommie finish a few breaks in D-1).

>>Then UB needs to sit him down and change his nature.

>

>Would be the biggest mistake Soderberg could make. Tommie's

>value at SLU will not be as a scorer but as a distributor.

>When Tommie looks to score, his overall game suffers as his

>assist totals tend to drop.

>The optimal statline for Tommie at SLU should be between

>15-17 points, 6 rebounds, and 4-6 assists. If he's

>attempting to be Larry Hughes like, good for Tommie, but bad

>for SLU.

Point well taken. I think we should all be very pleased with 15 ppg from Tommie. However, there are going to be days (especially early in the year) when our shooters cannot buy a bucket. We really need a guy on the wing who can attack the basket and get to the line or score during lulls in our offense. I'm hoping Tommie will be able to pick up his teammates when they are struggling (meaning that he has the court savvy to recognize when it is best for him to change his scoring mentality because the team needs it). That's alot to ask from a first year player.

First of all nobody even those who have pointed out AD's shortcomings have ever said that players should not win their starting roles. The problem some are having is that they want to assume that the new players can not win the starting job. What I am trying to say is if the new players do not get a chance to start because Brad is insistent in playing AD because he is a senior until the second half of the year, then we are in trouble. I really believe that AD is not the star some of you make him out and the truth is he is not as bad as some of us seem to making him sound - when you focus on the negatives about anyone they always end up looking worse then they really are. AD works hard but he is not fast, has trouble defending quick men, and is not a very good shooter - no one can argue these points so why anybody would think he is going to suddenly become some great saviour is beyond me. I just hope that Brad lets the young players have an even playing field for winning the job. Before some of you start saying why would Brad not do that - think about this year, how long did he go with VN before he let LM play, if RB's family does not have the terrible thing that happen to one of the siblings then DB would not have been given a real chance. If Brad out of simple frustration does not sit IO down then we never see those fast starts we saw with the young line up in there. If TF is not injuried, I doubt that IV would have seen the time he has. Brad has trouble playing young players over his seniors - that is an issue he has to come to grips with because hopefully he is recruiting better talent then we have had so it only stands to reason that they should probably end up starting over seniors.

DP is and will be the pt guard next year. I think alot of offense will run through Tommie and he will get plenty of assists, but he also needs to look to score more as he clearly did in the big games at Hargrave. I think AD will be an emotional leader and finally get to fulfill the role he is more suited for ... a spark off the bench for 10-15 minutes a game maybe occasionally more depending on how the game is going. No way Ian avg's 17 and 8 ... I would be happy with 12 and 8.

I also think we will score 65 ppg next year. We did not have that much trouble scoring this year when IO and Rb were out ... add improvement from all the kids and TL and we score more.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Who ever said anything about Drejaj being a saviour???

The only thing that I have been saying is the he will get his minutes until someone beats him out and that he will be the leader of this team next year. Brehms said it best when she said he will be the glue that keeps this team together.

While I have been hard on AD, I do think that his "role" should be to drive DP nuts in practice with good tough ball pressure D, be a supportive leader for the team and spot his minutes when you may need, as stated earlier, a spark off the bench. When you look at what a wing/guard depth chart would look like he is at the bottom.

1.) TL

2.) DB

3.) KL

4.) DP

5.) LM

6.) AD

On paper that is a good group, you can play around with 1-5.

I didn't include DC because it is my understanding that right, wrong or indifferent he might be gone. Another USC reference here, during spring practice the returning players are told that this is their time to shine becauce when fall practice starts the new guys will take reps with the first teamers so the staff can better gage what they have to work with. Stated another way, if a frosh or soph is better than a an upperclassman the upperclassman watches. In SLU's case, if healthy, KL and God willing grades TL will be in the mix from day one. You don't bring serious talent that can play and have them watch.

ok all you D-1 coaches on this board, saying drejaj is 6th on the gaurd depth chart blah blah blah i have been hearing that ever since he was a freshmen, and ya kno what he has been playin more than u all have thought, just like polk and DB and LM were supposed to come in and AD would get 5-10 mins a game, guess what, didnt happen, and just like you think he'll get 5-10 mins next year, guess what, won't happen, he is gonan start at the 2 on opening night unless he is hurt and he will end the year averaging 25-30 mins a game, so why argue over it, you guys aren't the coaches, they know whats best and they all love him, and he's gonna be the glue next year, and if you all are so smart go out and become head coaches, because i guess u all think brad and his coaches are out of their mind for liking AD

Everyone seems ready to just hand over the team to new guys who has to learn Brad's system which we all know "takes a minute".

I think is goes without saying that Soderberg is not going to hand over spots to undeserving players, however I hold the belief that Liddell will step in and contribute immediately.

To guys who also have to deserve to start just like Drejaj, just like any of the other guys. I think Luke and Danny Brown showed tremendous efforts this season, why would they not even be considered, why assume that Kevin and Tommie will "immediately" turn the team around.

You can't really compare the games of Drejaj, Meyer, & Danny Brown. They all bring different skillsets. Tommie brings a totally different game. He has the abiltity to play from the 1-3. He rebounds, he defends, he passes, and most importantly he has the ability to create his own offense. I don't think the same can be said of the three guys you mentioned above. Outside of Meyers none of the three you mentioned were must haves for Soderberg. I think he pulled Drejaj at the last minute. Danny Brown under similar circumstances. Tommie however was being pursued since his sophmore year by the staff of SLU. You gotta believe that Liddell will be given the opportunity to prove himself.

Afterall it's a team.

You won't find a better team player than Tommie. A guy who tends to be unselfish to a fault.

If these guys came onto the team with an attitude as u suggest Jalensdad, as an Upperclassmen and probably captain or co-captain (Drejaj) I would check them right from the beginning. Make sure they understand that I'm a leader.

I never suggested the new guys would come in as prima donna's, but leadership is earned not given. If Drejaj is the leader you seem to think he is, he won't have to say a word. He will earn that respect with his play. SLU for lack of a better comparison is not DUKE. Checking other players came quite easy for guys like Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, and Grant Hill due to the fact that they were not only winners, but big time winners. Who on SLU's roster can remotely claim that. So be very careful about the use of the word checking, especially if the new guys, specifically Liddell comes in and dominates in practices.

How will the kids learn if it's just given to them?

I think Lisch said it best when he accepted the scholarship from SLU. Lisch stated the thing that most impressed him about Soderberg was that Soderberg made no promises about playing time.

This is College...then if the kids do start over Drejaj and

doesn't perform as everyone expects we'll be reading threads

about their inefficiencies...or not so supportive

comments...

You won't hear it from me. I expect the kids to have an up and down year. I'm wishing for a .500 season. Anything above that is gravy. I think Tommie is proving that he should be able to handle the jump in competition. He has proven it at every level that he has competed. I don't expect that to change.

What if Drejaj is the man next year, if he's the glue that

keeps this team winning?

Great but not likely.

Everyone will be singing his praises..we're comparing these

Freshman to other SLU players but then if for some reason

they can't live up to that, we're ready to drop them..I

can't wait until next year..I will remember this thread.

Again these are freshmen. I expect an up and down year. Drejaj on the other hand has been in the system for 3 years. He has proven to be a support player. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Lucas Johnson played great for U of I in that role a couple of years back.

As for the I can't wait for next year comment, I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds as though you are hoping for them to fail.

I agree with Taj..it doesn't mean Drejaj will be leading

scorer etc..but I guarantee you, he will be the one who

vocally and mentally keep this team tight. If I'm wrong next

season, I'll admit it then. But until then, I don't care how

good guys were before the team, in high school, in juco, in

prep school, it's how they play WITH!! the team that counts.

Reg was good in prep school, high school, he didn't get a

pass from scruitiny, But Kevin and Tommie does..is it

because Reg wasn't from St. Louis..what's the deal..

If Drejaj steps up as a leader off the court as far as mentoring the young guys on what to expect. Then great for Drejaj. It would show a level of maturity that most kids don't display. Who has given Tommie or Kevin a pass? But can you really compare the situations of Tommie and Kevin(2 incoming freshmen) to that of Drejaj and Reggie(2 established upperclassmen) If Reggie received unfair scrutiny in your eyes it was more than likely due to Reggie's strong play the previous year. People were expecting some big things from Reggie, unfortunately a lot of the posters are weekend warriors. They may not have the understanding of how an injury can effect a players all-around game. A lot of people were not understanding of the injuries he was dealing with and a lot of people were unaware of the off the court crisis(sp) Reggie had to endure.