6. URI 4420

7. SBU 4211

8. UMass 3827

9. GWU 3621

10. Duquesne 3013

11. Fordham 2388

12. LaSalle 2263

SLU's home attendance so far

SLU Home Attendance through 2-25-05 (14 home games)

Total 112,278

Average 8,020

Record 7-19

Dispite our awful season we would still be third in the A10 in attendance.

Charlotte probably would bump us to fourth, but very interesting figures. Looks like we're heading to a garage league compared to the packed houses we're used to seeing at Memphis, Louisville, etc.

I can't wait for the Big East to implode in five years.

if you scan the boxscores of ALL division one games, you will see that to be the case in most conferences. while it is disappointing that our attendance has dropped 50% in the last 10 years, i still remember the days at the old arena during ekker times that you could carry on a conversation with virtually anyone in the building by simply yelling across the floor to the other 100 people or so there.

our 8k per game looks horrible in the 22k savvis, but in a 12.5k on campus arena, it would look fine and more importantly, sound loud.

last note, i assume charlotte would be above us as well in the a-10 in attendance?

the article i saw this week that without providence begging, the big east would have fell apart last year. i agree with iggy, just a matter of time and everyone will play musical conferences once again. notre dame can start the game anytime though, the second spark would be the big east impulsion.

that is surprising. here is a team in the top 25 and they dont draw as well as us? i have to assume their arena is only 7500 maybe? that just is wild. and unless the arena is the limiting factor, it goes to show how overeactive the locals are about billiken attendance.

if we were as consistently good as charlotte and our capacity was 9500, i would believe our attendance average to be 9501 minimum. the fact they have that large of a percentage of empty seats for a city as large as charlotte is sad.

however, i bet they have an even tougher second class citizen fan battle than we do with unc and duke and wake all in the same state.

This was one of the reasons I liked SLU going to the MVC, the attendance in the A-10 just isn't very good. GWU I think was even rated in the top 25 earlier this year and we all know this league plays the toughest schedule in country so why do the fans not show up. This just really shows SLU has a lot more in common with Dayton and Xaiver than with the rest of the A-10 and when the next round of conference shuffling occurs SLU will join those two and hopefully find some others to get a new league going.

In case anyone cares, which I know few do, here are the attendence figures for the MVC.

1. Creighton 9651

2. Bradley 8825

3. Wichita St 8562

4. SIU 7546

5. SMS 7200

6. Ill St 7140

7. Evans 6980

8. Drake 6153

9. UNI 5956

10. Ind St 5104

Ind St at 5104 would only be 35 people per game behind 3rd in the A-10.

SIU (23-6) is only at 3/4 of its 10000 capacity. They have had only 1 sellout in 15 yrs (although Sat. against Wich St is a possible sellout. You would think this program would be able to do better than 3/4. Even at 3/4 it is still loud and high energy because of the venue.

Remember, while we may refer to the school as Charlotte, its official name is University of North Carolina-Charlotte. It's probably viewed the way UMSL is in the University of Missouri system. Probably the majority of folks in Charlotte went/go to UNC (-Chapel Hill) or North Carolina State. Charlotte also has to compete with Wake and Duke for interest in its sports programs.

In mild defense of GW, our place only holds like 4,000....If the whole thing were student section. Our average would be higher. Right now half is Student, half is seats to buy...The students show up..Few others do...

SLU would kill for GW's Student support.

GW would kill for SLU's Season Ticket Base.

actually, the city of Charlotte is heavily populated by transplants from the Northeast and Midwest. My cousin lives there now and is from NYC, and all of his neighbors are recent transplants as well. Tremendous growth in that city in the past 20 years.

Also, UNCC is in the Northeast part of the city and most of the development is to the south, making it difficult to many people to get to games at Halton. Plus, the infrastructure of Charlotte (particularly the freeways surrounding the city) are woefully inadequate for the growth that has occured. For example, it would take my cousin close to 45 minutes to get from his house to UNCC assuming no traffic, and he lives within the city limits.

The UMSL comparison is legit, but imagine it even further out and harder to get to.

Except for this year, I have been to every Bills-49ner game. Most of the attendances has been in 6500-7500 range but it does not look too bad with the Halton only holding 9100. Crowd is loud and they get pretty good student turnout. They do try to make every effort for you to attend with free program and parking, ticket prices are not bad as compared to other Div 1 schools and food is cheaper then Savis (that might not be saying much). Also everytime I went they always are giving something away. ie bobblehead, poster, you name it...

Billiken Law is right about the traffic and growth. Very similiar to Atlanta. I think the 8-9 years I been attending they been working on I-85 going to Gastonia.

What is the media coverage like for GW in the DC area. I suspect its pretty poor (due to and helping to continue the poor attendence) what with all the transfers into and out of the DC area, and with Georgetown (with its rep) and Maryland in the area competing for attention.

>SIU (23-6) is only at 3/4 of its 10000 capacity. They have

>had only 1 sellout in 15 yrs (although Sat. against Wich St

>is a possible sellout. You would think this program would

>be able to do better than 3/4. Even at 3/4 it is still loud

>and high energy because of the venue.

Incorrect. SIU had 3 consecutive sellouts last year, Bradley, Creighton, and a midnight Hawaii game.