Misplaced Anger: Bernie Miklasz isn't why SLU sucks

pooch1918

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but I was most definately pointing out that neither the Bills nor the post are "great" presently though both definately had highlights in the past. I think you can make a case the the bills were great in the forties.....

The post used to be looked up to by jouralists around the country. now it has a dwindling circualation and is owned by some yahoos in far ioway.

No one in their right mind would call SLU a great program at the moment. Likewise calling the Post great or even major is a laugh. Perhaps we could call them a mid-major paper and ask why they aren't hiring people away from the Southeast Missourian. (Cape Girardeau)

pooch said, "And, no, I'm not Bernie."

you sound like you are. you definitely dont sound like an informed billiken fan.

for the most part, all that david really called bernie on was the statement about lorenzo gordon. i havent checked the stltoday.com board today, but as of lunchtime, bernie still hadnt owned up to the fact that he grossly misled the public on why lorenzo gordon is not a billiken. to pick and choose your billiken comments is bad enough. to only comment for the first time in months with a gross lie is worse. if you cant see why bernie deserved to be called on that then maybe you do need some koolaid.

if you reread david's original post to bernie's forum, he admits that no one is happy about this season. so he was never asking for total forgiveness from the billiken nation. only that bernie make right on his lie about gordon.

cheesy, better go get a copy of the billiken media guide. the billikens indeed have more than 1 nit victory since 1905. making stupid statements like that makes you look as stupid and uncredible to the billiken fandom as bernie.

cheesy, i read the usatoday, and the belleville new democrat every day cover to cover. my office has the post delivered daily and occasionally i peak at the content of it. seeing it once a week or so tells me that my money is being better spent on the belleville paper and the usa today.

then explain why cover to cover the belleville paper is much better than the post? last time i checked, the population of belleville was about 10x less than st louis.

go read it for yourself. i challenge you to buy both papers for a week and then tell me that the st louis paper is better. especially the sports section.

If you're basing your entire argument on your own personal opinion, than for me to say that I think the post-dispatch is better is just as valid.

Without commenting on whether or not I actually believe that the post is better, I'm simply stating that your argument is weak at its very foundation. You have nothing to back up your statements but your own judgement, and therefore any argument you have over the relative quality of two items is moot, because you don't need anything to back yourself up other than your own judgement call.

I started the string of posts on BM's forum with factual and fairly substantive commments and allegations. While I admit that they were clearly directed at Bernie, I didn't revert to name-calling. I wanted Bernie to address what I thought were legitimate issues and complaints.

Rather than respond to my substantive criticism, Bernie responded by blasting the entire SLU fan base and suggesting that the Post should drop coverage of SLU basketball. That is defensiveness and unprofessionalism at its worst. It is also bad journalism. Frankly, I was surprised to see Bernie react that way in light of the lack of personal insults.

nothing like close wins over Baylor and Nebraska to bring out the confidence. This really is a pathetic year for college basketball in the state of Missouri. Seems Illinois stole all the good teams with SIU and Depaul also having nice seasons.

Roy...I respect what you bring to this forum. I don't have the institutional knowledge about SLU hoops you and many others on this board have. That said, I CAN recognize when die-hard fans of a down-and-out team are losing perspective of the big picture. How informed should I be? This club is 7-17. It's not rocket science. They stink, and the local media are kicking them around. It's no time to attack Bernie's weight or trouble with booze. But if that makes you feel better---go ahead.

I have yet to write anything on this issue simply because I think it has gone way out control. I read Bernie's comment about the number of local players who got away to MVC schools and thought similarily as many of you that he made an uniformed comment. Normally when somebody does something like that they simply need to be given the correct info and everybody moves on. David did that - now some might think he could have done it more tactfully but at this point it is not relevant. While Bernie was wrong about Gordon's situation, he was not wrong about others - not all of the players at SMS or SIUC or other schools had grade problems - we could have worked harder to get some of them but for whatever the reason we passed or got into the race late. I think all Bernie was trying to say - and granted he could have done a better job of framing it - was that we have lots of good local players who are helping other schools - not a Duke or Arizona - succeed where we are still struggling. That is the truth - like it or not. I am not evaluating the talent for SLU but I guess there are lots of factors for why it has been the way it has been: 1. Romar spent his time chasing really big fish and lost sight of the local nice size ones 2. Spoon was too lazy to try to out work other coaches 3. Brad has not been here long enough to really establish himself 4. Grawer was simply not a good salesman - the list can go on and on but the bottom line is had we gotten even 25% of those who had good careers at these other schools, things would have been better overall for us. Water under the bridge - lets move forward and not loose anymore diamonds in the rough.

"3. Brad has not been here long enough to really establish himself "

I disagree that is what is so bothersome about Bernie's comment. Brad has been recruiting locally and quite well. His last two recruiting classes.......2004 Dwayne Polk, Luke Meyer, Tommie Liddel (dnq but still from St. Louis)yes he took Newborne form elsewhere.

2005 so far T. Liddell, Kevin Lisch, and two open spots.....

Bernie Bits is a gossip column some thngs said for effect, I agree with confronting untruths, as David tried to do, but basically the rest of it just is hyperbole.

It will feel much better next year when we are winning the close games and our record and RPI is respectable. This is an investment year and I hate investment years!!