Ian

davidnark

From Stu's aricle today:

"Vouyoukas has emerged since entering the starting lineup seven games ago. In that span, he is averaging 8.4 points and 7.9 rebounds and shooting 54 percent."

In light of the fact that (i) those seven games included games against Charlotte, Marquette, and Cincy--not exactly cupcakes--and(ii) he is a 19-year old sophomre, IT IS MIND-BOGGLING THAT SEVERAL POSTERS ON THIS BOARD STILL BELIEVE HE IS INEFFECTIVE AND STILL A PROJECT.

The only problem with Ian's game right now is that our guards and wings can't find a way to get him the ball!

nark, I have been pleased with IV's play since the Iowa game. I think of IV as a "work-in-progress" rather than a project. Let's see what he looks like 20 games into his senior season. I'm guessing he'll be pretty good!

Others want IV to be something that isn't possible....like run and jump like a small forward, while maintaining his 6-10 270# frame. Hell, I want DP to be 6-3, but it's not going to happen!

I'm really happy with Ian's progress, and he will only continue to get better.

Do you think Ian would benefit from attending the big man camp that Heinrich went to a few years back, or is he better off playing against international competition during the summers?

I think Ian is definitely a "WORK IN PROGRESS", he's very good in the inside. Once the guys learn to give him the ball more, he'll show what he can do with it. I'm very hopeful about Ian, he's gaining confidence, I spoke with him and he even talks with more excitement. I can't wait to see him in the years to come.

Now only seen Ian in person aganist So Miss inwhich he ate Jasper's lunch, the Iowa game and this game on TV and I am impressed with him. He has the potential to be something special for the Bills the next 2 years.

He would really benefit (besides conditioning) if he went to that Big-Man's Camp out on the West Coast that Heinrich used to go. They could work on improving his inside moves. Regarding conditioning, I think he tired towards the end of the game that lead to those miss FT's. His Ft % is not all that bad for a big man (remember Heinrich and Brown). He needs to get used to getting 25-30 minutes.

I thought this was Ian's worst game in a while. He had 4 boards at the half and finished with just 5. His missed free throws also killed us down the stretch. At one point he missed the front end of a 1-1 and then missed 2 the next time to the line.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

david, imo, it is mind boggling you are insinuating he isnt. today he missed free throws. twice they were front ends of one and ones. he makes 3 more we were in overtime. let's not forget he just fell down on probably the most important possession of the afternoon. and if i had 5 dollars for everytime he had the ball 2 feet from the basket today and couldnt even get the ball to the backboard when getting fouled, i'd be $30 richer. sure i dont expect him to make every one of those, but to make 2 of those 6 opportunities and be going to the line for a 3 point play is difference making. a good division 1 center is strong enough to get a couple of those to the basket.

i admit he is the best we got for that position. i agree he has a lot of potential. i totally believe he has come a long way since playing regularly. and i dont expect much more than what we are getting because he is only a sophomore project. but he is still a work in progress. hopefully he realizes how close he is and really works on his strength and conditioning this summer and does come back next year ready to be more than a big body in the middle. a lot of our success the next two years apparently will depend on it because i dont see anything else coming along on the inside to help him.

polk was magnificent today. when he attacks with that mentality he is a playmaker.

meyer showed he has more of a grasp for the motion offense than just about anyone that has played here the last 2+ years imo. he used the screens the way sceens are supposed to be used. used misdirection and change of speed to set his defenders up. very nice game by luke. the basket at the end was huge and shows how far he has come this year.

it is my guess that bryant has a problem with what happened today. it was his worst defensive effort since playing for the billikens. sammy mejia must have thought he had died and went to heaven that first half. and reggie did nothing to get himself open. to win some games down the stretch, we need reggie. but if he is going to mail it in, let meyer and brown play.

izik sitting and newborne playing is definitely puzzling. now if johnson had played, i would have thought "total youth movement". but newborne is also an upperclassmen. i have to wonder if something went on in practice as tseugnekillib is hinting around. nothing necessarily negative, but maybe the five on the floor at the beginning of the day just stepped up? charlotte will be interesting saturday.

dont know if you were at the game today, but compare tommie now to sammy mejia? i really like mejia. imo he won the game for depaul as he pretty much single handedly got them back in the game.

I personally thought that Newborne played well today. I haven't looked at the boxscore but I would be willing to say that he had 3 or so blocks and I thought he was agressive on the rebounds.

It was by far the best offensive game that Dwayne has played this year, that no look pass in the first half was sweet! I thought he was more agressive as well too as he looked for his shot more.

Luke is earning his minutes it seems like, let him have the spot if he is working for it. He played great an all around good game today.

I just hope we can put this behind us and contine on what seems like an improvement and play good on Wednesday and at least end the season on a somewhat positive mark.

Heres to hoping that Tommie is everything that Mejia is and more!

I have been a big Ian supporter ... but yesterday he hurt us 1 board in the second half and the free throws. I disagree that he should have fought through those fouls ... he was completely wrapped up on every one Bumfield was getting away with holding him all game.

I thought Luke was fantastic ... I think his smarts and hustle make up for his average speed. On his one baseline drive near the end of the second half ... he just looked the other way and made a slight fake ... as soon as the defender began to lean the wrong way he took him ... perfect timing. I think as he gets older he is going to get more game savvy and be very good ... this game brought my opinion a long way regarding Luke.

Dwayne showed what he can and will be as he gets more experience. I disagree that Dwayne should be on the wing next year with Tommie at the point ... Dwayne should be the point and the offense should run through all 3 guards giving them all opportunities to create.

I thought VaShun showed signs of what he can do ... I would just like to see more offensive ability.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

compare tommie now to sammy mejia, i really like mejia.

As I was watching this kid, I was thinking, I would love to see Tommie matched against Mejia defensively. He was getting a lot of shots off due to his size. He is an excellent ballhandler and his shot was almost automatic free throw line extended. Size-wise they are very similar, but Mejia overall game is more polished as he looks to be NBA material after one more year of college. Hopefully following Tommie's freshman year we will be as high on Tommie as we are on Mejia.

Imo he won the game for depaul as he pretty much single handedly got them back in the game.

I'm in 100% agreement. You take his 1st half production away and SLU possibly goes in the half with a 5-10 point lead.