Questioning Brad...

davidnark

1. Why does Brad start VN over Brown? If fact, why does he play VN? He brings so few things to the table.

2. Brad cost us this game at the end of the regulation. Brown had shut down Novak for 15 straight minutes. With just over two minutes left in the game, Brad inexplicitly substituted Drejaj for Brown. On the next three possessions, Novak hit two shots over the much shorter Drejaj and Marquette scored another basket when Reggie had to double off his man to help on Novak. I don't fault Drejaj--he was giving up six inches. This coaching move didn't make any sense. Everyone in our section noted the coaching error as soon as the substitution was made.

3. Every time we go on a hot offensive run, Brad kills it with substitutions. This happened in both halves. If we have a good thing going, why stop it.

4. Someone explain the Brown, Drejaj, Polk substitutions to me in the two overtimes. I couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason to them. Brown is a superior player to both Drejaj and Polk on both sides of the ball; why were both Drejaj and Polk playing together during the last two minutes of the 2 OT.

I have wondered about Brad's decisions all years - his unwillingness to do anything that is different when things are not going well has done much to contribute to this season's funk. I am sure he is frustrated but what makes you a good coach is that you keep your head when everyone else around you is loosing theirs.

OK I'm down here in Florida and I did not see or hear today's game, but I read the stats for the game. We shot 32% for the game and score a measely 51 points in 2 OT's...I give what constitutes a run in this kind of a game...making FG's in two straight trips down the floor???

In both halves we pulled out to about 8 or 9 point leads only to have Brad susbstitute players and allow Marquette to climb right back in the game. He has done this at least a half dozen times this season.

>>Brad cost us this game at the end of the regulation. Brown had shut down Novak for 15 straight minutes. With just over two minutes left in the game, Brad inexplicitly substituted Drejaj for Brown. On the next three possessions, Novak hit two shots over the much shorter Drejaj and Marquette scored another basket when Reggie had to double off his man to help on Novak.<<

As with you David, I thought this was the critical decision of the game. Brad needs to put his players in a position to win and handicaped the team by putting Drejaj on Novak down the stretch. Why did he do it? My guess is he wanted another ballhandler in the game to help against the press .... but Drejaj made some bad TOs in this game so does that make sense? It was just a dumb substitution plain and simple.

Brad did a horrible job at the end of regulation and throughout the OT's.

Brad's thinking...

"Wow VN and DB have done a great job on Steve Novak this game. We are up 8 with less then 3 mins to go. Wait I know...I will put AD on him. Oh yes...He is our best defender on 6 foot guards. AD is only giving up about 10 inches on him. Yes...this is the right move...I am a genius."

After Novak destroys drejaj on two straight trips down the court...

Brad's yelling

" Anthony, where is your hustle! You have to WORK!!! Come on guys, Do they want it more than you!?!?"

Back to Brad's Thinking

"Man, I am such a great coach, I wish I had some better players to execute my flawless gameplan"

GIVE ME A BREAK. That was the most horrible, arrogant coaching I have ever seen Soderberg do in my three years of watching Billiken Basketball. We played hard and probably would have won if Reggie just turned into a player/coach. Brad can sell peanuts. What a horrible performance.

Ouch!!! The natives are getting restless with Coach Soderberg's coaching.

I suppose that he does have to take his share of the blame as these are players that he recruited all by his lonesome. The team got off to a horrible start and never have found a good chemistry.

I also was wondering WHY Anthony was in the game (late) instead of Danny Brown. Didn't make any sense at all.

I can see Brad's loyalty to Anthony for all his "clutch" games the previous 2 years, but man, Anthony is just killing us with all his turnovers. It's time to set him down and let Danny & Luke have those minutes.

Something else that a friend pointed out to me several games ago - has anyone else noticed how poorly we do after a timeout and we have possesion? It seems like we either turn the ball over or get off a very poor shot selection. Today was no exception. I would love to see the stat on what we do after coming out of timeouts.

We have no "touch". 15 missed shots from less than 5 ft. (layups, putbacks, dunks, etc.) Looking at the boxscore, one would assume this was an exciting game when in reality it was extremely painful to watch between the strategy mistakes, missed easy shots and the turnovers.

It will be very hard to fix things the rest of the season if we can't shoot from inside of 5 ft. Even the fan shooting baskets for the Chevy's promotion made those shots.

>what was it? three traveling calls on drejaj alone?

The traveling calls, bad passes leading to TOs, taking the ball out of Danny Brown's hands to take the last shot (at, I think the end of the 1st OT), driving in amongst the trees and then losing the ball, etc ... . Drejaj is just a disaster on the offensive end.