Road Trip - Bills vs. DePaul in Chicago

Box and Won

Cool - hopefully we'll get the same block this year. I'm not in the Billiken Club (yet), so hopefully, they'll let me buy tickets.

Not being able to take road trips to Chicago, Milwaukee or Memphis is an unfortunate side effect of the dissolution of Conference USA. I hope that we're able to at least continue playing DePaul and Marquette after we go our separate ways.

i seriously doubt that marquette would honor us with any games after this season. that would be beneath them.

you still got trips to cincy and dayton that could be made easily.

chicago and memphis are two of my favorite cities in the world. so i totally agree with you about losing out on the depaul road trips. but no loss on milwaukee road trips. the cusa/great midwest tourney that was the worst was milwaukee imo (of course i missed out on birmingham so cant comment on that wonderful city). other than mader's, which is one of the best restaurants i have ever been to, milwaukee sucked.

i have never been to dayton for anything but a drive through, so i am looking forward to making a future dayton trip.

I actually love visiting Milwaukee - it's a very underrated city. It has a lot of character, and there are tons of great bars to discover. Unfortunately, the weather sucks during b-ball season.

Dayton, on the other hand, is pretty dead. There's a small historic district called Oregon Street that is pretty interesting, but other than that, there isn't much to do.

>i have never been to dayton for anything but a drive

>through, so i am looking forward to making a future dayton

>trip.

Roy, you shouldn't get excited about going to Dayton. The University of Dayton is a fine university but when I toured there I thought that it's biggest drawback was that it was located in Dayton, Ohio. A combination of that and my lifelong desire to attend SLU led me to choose SLU over UD. Now, with that said, UD is somewhat high on my early list of potential law schools, which goes along with me saying it is a fine university.

There is one cool thing in Dayton; they have an amazing Air Force museum that is definitely worth a visit. It will take a few hours though.

I agree that Chicago is a favorite city of mine. When we lived in St. Louis I remember taking my two girls up on Amtrak a couple times around Christmas shopping season. We flew up with a Billiken fans for a DePaul game. I don't really like the DePaul venue much.

Memphis is another city that I used to visit from time to time and I always enjoyed my trips. I cannot comment on Milwaukee as I never did travel to that city.

I have been to Dayton and I cannot say much for the city. It was a business trip and I did not see much, but I did attend a Dayton Flyer game and I liked their Arena.

I would hope that SLU will be able to continue playing some of the teams from CUSA on an alternating basis.

My buddy is right here. The only thing worth going to in Dayton is the Air Force museum. I was coming back from a flight team competition, flew into the airport, went there, and will never forget the museum. The city itself.......well.......yeah, didn't even register on my fancy cool'o'meter.

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago...we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.....HIT IT!"

Blues Brothers

Marquette would be good for a road trip to go to a game in that atmosphere as opposed to DePaul's lack of atmosphere. DePaul plays by the airport. When in Chicago, if you aren't in the city, why bother being there imo. Milwaukee has actually improved a lot in recent years, still a ways to go. I have find it very similar to STL in many ways. Weather there is similar to Chicago, FREAKIN cold. But nice summers. Memphis is fun, close to STL, like Nashville for a visit. Cincy is okay...I think what helps Milwaukee imo is that it is so close to Chicago. Those other cities STL included are pretty isolated from other major met areas, and if you get bored or need a change, of pace, you can take a quick spin to another city. ...It is one of the nice things about the East Coast, proximity. Been a while since I have been to UD.

Not to be picky, but I'm originally from Chicago, and there TONS of stuff to do outside the city, as well as in the city. I've been to pretty much all the cities in question here for tourney trips with the band. Here's my run-down if we're expressing opinions so much:

Chicago - FABULOUS due to there just being A LOT to experience inside and outside the city (some bias, but it's the truth)

Milwaukee - OK, some decent restaurants and the brewery, other than that, not a lot happenin'(insert a little bias here too)

Cinnci - Pretty good, always enjoyed going there. The first time I went we stayed somewhat on the north side of town, and was pretty bogus. The second time, we stayed on the Covington, KY side and DAMN!!! That was a fun trip, with GREAT access to the city and its attractions.

Louisville - Pretty good time there too. Quite a bit of stuff to do, and a fun little city to visit

Memphis - Well, Memphis is Memphis, and the band LOVES Memphis! I too, love Memphis. I mean, COME ON, Beale Street ALL THE WAY!!!

I will miss quite a few of the cities now that we're changing conferences and all, but I look forward to getting out to the East coast with the new conference.

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago...we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.....HIT IT!"

Blues Brothers

Next SLU will be playing in downtown Milwaukee at the old MECCA (against UWM!). Let's all roadtrip.

Living in Boston, the A-10 will give me plenty of opportunities for road trips. When SLU is going to Kingston (RI) or Amherst, I'll be there (maybe NYC or Philly at times too).

Okay, I'll bite. IMO, Chicago is a lot more of a larger version of Milwaukee than say it is a big city like NYC. No question. Sure it offers more things than STL or Mil, but isn't too far removed from them either. I like Chicago a lot, have had many good times. So understand that up front. But what exactly is "happening" in the western burbs by Rosemont. Well, there is a Shoeless Joe's and Harry Caray's by the All-State Arena, and a lot of traffic moving toward Hoffman Estates there. That is the area I am discussing. But, you could even pick another area....if you wanted. Burbs are burbs...and other than some of the pretty but snotty North Shore burbs,(very cool neighborhoods, but you get the snotty part too) nothing distinct about the West, Northwest and South Chicago burbs. No bias here. I grew up in STL, but have spent a lot of time in other places too. I can gladly discuss its pro's and con's. But this is about Chicago, and the other cities mentioned. I would argue that Milwaukee is much more fun for going out/bar scene than Cincy area. Memphis obviously is a good weekend visit going out town.

Ah Boston, the built in East Coast advantage of road trips due to proximity.

courtside, you make it sound like it would be mandatory to stay out by rosemount when on a depaul roadtrip. whenever we went up for a billiken - depaul game, we still stayed downtown but just traveled up to the game then back after. still stayed at one of the nicer hotels downtown. my wife still got to shop michigan avenue, still got to eat at morton's or ed debevics or harry carey's or go to dicks last resort at night, etc. like i said above, in 4 days in milwaukee for the gmc tourney a few years ago, other than mader's i really didnt have a lasting memory there. couple that with the poor man's version of an nba arena, aka the bradley center, i have no desire to make that trip again. not saying that dayton will better it. in fact i expect it will be less. but then i am looking forward to hitting some of the east coast cities for the conference tourney's of the future.

Actually no, that isn't what I said at all. What I said was..if you are going to Chicago you need to spend time in the city to distinguish its trip from something else, as opposed to just going to its suburbs and not seeing the city. You even said, you spent time in the city on your trip(s). You can have the chains if that is what you like, as mentioned. I enjoy Chicago, Milwaukee, and the other mentioned cities. Game and location atmospheres are two different things. Chicago is a pro sports town. The poor man's NBA arena is a rich man's college arena. Nothing wrong with Rosemont or the above mentioned places, or even the ones I mentioned. IMO Milwaukee and STL have a lot of simialrities. BTW try Gibson's or Chop House for those steaks in Chi town.

Roy, if you go to NYC, go to "John's Pizzeria," either Village or Theater district location. Best pizza I've ever had.