Bonner on 1380 this morning.

TheBand

Really likes brad. Mentioned that fans need to have patience and that he'll turn the program into something special.

Says he's only interested in a HS or College level coaching job (not necessarily head coach)

not sure what the rules are on what those non coach coaches can do and how they are paid. of course i guess like oscar robertson does at cincy, he can always just hang out and teach without being paid or being a coach. i think oscar makes a point of being a mentor and basketball tutor to one player every year at cincy.

it probably comes down to the ncaa deciding if the position being filled gives the team a recruiting advantage another team wouldnt have. now this is a scenario that marquette law could help us with.

You could make Bonnor the the senior manager so he can coach. THe DOB can not coach but takes care of the behind the scene duties. That is one way, but I do not know how much office space they have. I know the womens program had a senior manager but they do not have the DOB.

Danny Manning was the senior managet at KU and now he is a special assistant. UK also has the job title of the Special Assistant to the Head Coach who I used to know but has taken the job at Manhatten as the assistant coach.

It is a business but do you think Sloan has as much influence on a recruit as Bonnor will have, probably not.

The only way to create an opening for Anthony Bonner to be an assistant coach is for one of the current assistants (Angres Thorpe, Anthony Beane, and Jason Grunkemeyer) to move up somewhere. With the Bills' having a poor season, it doesn't look like many schools will be hot on the trail for one of Brad Soderberg's ACs.

What I heard from Bonner, as I semi-reported a few weeks ago, is that he plans to put his name in for a position at any level. If he's at the high school level in a couple of years when the Bills' ACs become hot commodities after deep runs into the NCAAs, then SLU can offer AB a position that will be a step up from the position he'll have at the time.

it is my guess that after all the years of pro ball anthony bonner doesnt need much of a paycheck. if he wants to coach, surely we can figure out a way.

dwool said, "It is a business but do you think Sloan has as much influence on a recruit as Bonnor will have, probably not."

unless he is an assistant i dont think he is allowed to have much influence on a recruit. so sloan's position isnt even a factor on recruits. pretty sure on this aspect.

After working in his position the previous 2 years, it is against NCAA rules to have an influence on a recruit but the DOB can talk to the recruit as much as he wants, as I stated before Danny Manning was the senior Manager last year at KU and senior manager are not even allowed to anything with recruits, but to say hi and talk to them on their visits but if you are kid and looking into KU and you see that Manning is on the staff that would be neat because Manning is one of the best players to come out of KU.

Sames goes for Bonner. He is the best to come out of SLU and he does not need a big paycheck so hire him as the DOB or senior manager

dwool said, "After working in his position the previous 2 years, it is against NCAA rules to have an influence on a recruit but the DOB can talk to the recruit as much as he wants"

dwool, explain the above statement. on one hand you agree it against the rules to have an ifluence, but then you say they can talk to the recruit as much as he wants. wouldnt talking to the recruit have an influence?

I would like to get AB in as a Graduate Assistant. This is the position that Jay Spoonhour has at Missouri this year. He gets to work with the team and also take some classes and work to his masters. It is kind of a win/win situation and think it would be great for AB at SLU. By the way, I think AB did get his degree but not sure.

i hope the billikens never intentionally commit minor violations. especially every day. if they do, i would sadly turn away from the program.

I would be surprised if AB didn't need a pay check. He's been out of the NBA for many years. He's divorced.{there goes a lot of money} While pay in Europe is good it's not that good. I think he has continued to play the last few years is because like most of us {Roy excluded} he needs a pay check.

Rumor from some alumni is they are pressing to get a big name assistant to help soderberg out with recruiting. I also heard that AB's name has been mentioned but that he wants to be paid in 6 figures. SLU is not willing to do so at this time. Go ask him. Anyone who takes the shuttle know's he's been at Humphrey's before 3 or 4 home games this year.

I say we pay him his 6 figures ... and we make a space for him ... It is a business and coaching is a proffession like any other ... if a better employee comes along then the one you have you take him.

Every young Bball player in St.Louis knows and loves AB ... even the very young kids know him ... he loves St.Louis and St.Louis loves him.

Not only that ... I don't think we have a coach on our staff who would be better at coaching our big men and convincing them what working your ass off can do for you.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman