billikens win

jjray

I listened on the radio and it seemed like JJ had a phenominal game. Ramsey said several times how Johsnon was skying for rebounds and was all over the place (including above the rim)grabbing them. Brad said in the post game comments that he was very pround of Johnson and is very comfortable with the 8 man rotation we saw tonight. How did the game look in person for those who were there?

big keys to the game:

reggie was reggie

drejaj played fantastic defense on their best scorer

turnovers were a minimum. drejaj had 3 that were just stupid though

polk was tough down the stretch

and justin johnson was just a man.

a couple of justin rebounds were ones that no way frericks, vouyoukas or husak even get to. his quickness and upper body strength were key. i kept waiting for justin to let down or fall asleep defensively, he did not. imo, you play justin now. he stepped up. let him play.

if drejaj and polk shoot better we blow that team out. but man polk looked good down the stretch.

newborne looked weak going to the basket a few times. not sure what he added to the game. he has to be the guy on the bubble.

danny brown defended well and acted like he belonged.

none game stuff:

the pizza box thing has potential. encourage sabotage that could be fun.

what was up with koshe not letting the guy run up the steps.

i thought the "let's get it started video was neat."

good to see our signguy back!

JJ really looked good tonight. Played hard, within himself, seemed comfortable, rather than the dear in the headlights we saw last year.

Moved well without the ball.

I sat back and looked at this game, and it certainly did not look like a 1-6 team vs an 0-6 team. Both had great energy, intensity and determination.

We started a three guard team with RB, AD, and DP. Vashun had a tough nite. Seemed for a while we would never get past 17 pts, then went on a 9 point spree that energized us.

Well done, boys. Keep it up.

mhg

Reggie had 23 points, despite being the focus of the defense. They were running a 4 man zone with one guy moving with Reggie all night, I think #14. Polk had about 12 and was really great tonight grabbing rebounds (yes, I know he is only 5'8"), making steals, good passes, etc. Drejaj had a terrible shooting night, but a great night defensively. If he had been shooting well, we win by twenty. He still had around 10.

We still missed a LOT of layups. It is just uncanny how we miss those things. I do not get it.

Where was Tom? He seemed to be a non-presence tonight or was I just not watching him at the right times.

JJ and Danny Brown are really two athletic players. JJ had a breakout game tonight. He really contributed. I don't think Darren Clarke played one minute. Nor did Husak or Ian.

Izik was in foul trouble early with one really poor call.

Dayton is going to be tough, but if tonight carries over to Saturday it should be a very good game.

What about Polk, Reggie, JJ, Frericks and Izik for Dayton?

Steve - what was your "Polka" sign? I couldn't quite read it from where I sit? "Polka"?

the more i think about it, the biggest key to the game was reggie bryant. he just had a great game. without his first half, we might have gotten down by 10 at half and the confidence shot again. i am glad the others stepped up, but reggie was reggie was the biggest key.

Interesting thing happened at the end of the game. When Polk went down hard as Oakland flailed at the very end, I said, out loud, "Great! Guy's out of control at the end of the game, and we lose our best player."

Two guys had been sitting directly behind us for most of the game, and one said, "He ain't your best player. That would be Reggie!"

It struck me that Brehms said her family would be in town, so I asked the guy if he was Reggie's brother. He said yes, and then pointed to where Brehms was sitting when I asked if she was there. Turned out she'd been sitting about three rows directly behind a rocking, rowdy, raucous bunch of courtside fans -- not our own Courtside, but in fact our own shoe family. Kshoe came over and made our favorite Baltimore-based board member (yes, I said our favorite Baltimore-based board member, to distinguish her from the less distinguished one ;) ) feel welcome in the Lou. We look forward to seeing her again on Saturday and hope that Reggie gives his family an even bigger Christmas present against Dayton.

"it's polka time!"

frericks played, but other than the one tremendous hustle play where he dove after that one loose ball, tom didnt do much. he still hasnt returned to form. if he does along with a continued emergence of johnson, maybe we got something inside yet.

no way brad will start frericks, izik and johnson. he will start three guards again and it will probably be drejaj. i am thinking justin might get the start before newborne though. he deserves it. see it it turns him up another notch.

it was fun. and the "dorkiness" wasnt restricted to luke. what they should have done though, is play that video, then as it ends, the savvis turns up the real black eyed peas version. instead they played the outkast song.

I think we found our lineup. Polk, Drejaj, Bryant, Johnson, Ohannon.

Polk & Reggie were huge in the second half. Drejaj shot poorly but had 7 assists.

The crowd was dissapointing. The loudest cheer came when the gentleman in one of the contests didn't get his Joe Bacardi's gift certificate.

The baby bills need a serious training regimine. A few of them look pregnant.

It's pathetic that we had to reduce the pasta house give away point total to 60. And it also looks bad that the concession stands at the ends of the court were not open.

A win is a win is a win

>I think we found our lineup. Polk, Drejaj, Bryant, Johnson,

>Ohannon.

Well, I'm glad Brad is finally taking minutes away from our 3 centers who have been non-factors and giving the minutes to JJ. However, I'm personally not happy with the minutes Drejaj gets given how much he hurts the team on the offensive end and his turnover problem. I'd much rather see him as an energy guy off the bench for defense. I think Clarke should have been given the opportunity to show he can be the guy to balance out the offense as the 3rd guard.

A win is a win so I won't complain.

the job drejaj did on marshall was fantastic. what if you dont start drejaj and marshall gets rolling early? now where you at? drejaj had 4 turnovers, but the whole team had only 7. most teams would kill for under 10 in a game. plus he had 7 assists tonite as well.

look, i would love to see someone else step up as well, but it is pretty obvious that brad loves drejaj. and there is no denying he is the most consistent defender on the team. at least his shots were good shots.

the clarke thing still puzzles me though. what is up with his end of the bench thing is strange. but brad is convinced that an 8 man rotation is necessary for continuity.

Have to disagree with you on Danny Brown's D, Roy. He was on their big scorer and Brad couldn't wait to get AD back into the game. He doesn't have that intense D yet. got picked off big time twice in a row.

Agree with the rest, though.

Especially about SSG. Really thought we had to have a good game for Steve.

Band was superb at half time, the horn solo was outstanding. Well done.

mhg

We have not seen enough of Clarke in games to really pass judgment on him (on either end of the floor). JJ finally got extended minutes and delivered. It would be nice to see how Clarke would respond to extended minutes early in the game. The first 10 minutes of the game the Bills seem especially challenged on the offensive end. It's a matter of addressing a specific team need early in the game.

If I'm not mistaken, Clarke started the first game of the year in St. Thomas that none of us heard on radio nor saw. Maybe Coach judge Clarke based upon that performance.

The guys had nine steals last night and ran off of almost every steal. We got some layups in transition and Reggie stuck some jumpers off of the secondary break before Oakland's defense was set up.

We need to do more of that but its hard to generate that number of steals against quality teams by playing only halfcourt defense.

>according to Angres Thorpe at the coaches corner.......he

>looked like he was about to puke at times too!!

Tom was at the emergency room Tuesday night getting 3 litters of IV fluid to help with severe dehydration due to the flu. He is in the student infirmery getting 3 more as we speak! His head was in a basket everytime he came off the court. Tom said he was very proud of JJ's performance and looked for his continued contribution.

your post is loaded with class. to make mention of justin's game let alone in such a positive manner is a credit to you beyond description imo.

knowing now that tom was that sick speaks volumes of his continued all out attitude and i personally believe that the old tom will soon resurface. when he does, along with a hopeful breakout of justin johnson and continued improvement from izik, this team can still be good. thanks for letting us hardcores know what is going on.