I hate this

http://www.billikens.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/3376.html

3star_recruit

Charter Member

1690 posts, 12 feedbacks, 22 points Nov-29-04, 02:07 PM (CST)

1. "RE: Hawaii..? for 3star"

In response to message #0

Yeah, he was a top 25 recruit coming out of high school but but didn't attend Cal because they don't accept partial qualifiers. After shuffling through a bunch of schools he finally arrived back in his home state of Hawaii. I don't fear him lighting us up -- I fear that it will be a yet another low-scoring affair that comes down to the last minute, that he'll score and we won't. And then we'll be right back here on Saturday afternoon, saying "What's wrong?"

is you've got this team pegged. They exert so much energy on the defensive end that I wonder if that's the reasong they miss so many easy shots. I know it's still early in December, but SLU's offensive game is still in preseason status. With the small crowd, I could hear Brad yelling instructions and players responding like robots. They have no clue what they're doing out there.

If this continues, Brad could lose this team and we could be in a long season. If the players continue to work hard and stay focused, I could see them being a very tough team to play in March.

Polk had some exceptional moments out there with his looks within the half-court sets. The Billiken offensive rebounding was extremely good and their defense was again standout.

...but you wouldn't want it because of its bitter aftertaste.

As far as what is wrong, there were 12 first-half turnovers and 10 missed layups. Furthermore, the Billikens are not aggressive enough offensively: they shot only eight free throws and didn't get into the bonus in the second half. It would have been nice if Dwayne Polk would have been going to the line after that late foul.

How can a team win a low scoring game with that number of turnovers and blown layups (even Drejaj missed a wide open layup on a tremendous feed from Newborne)? Well we owed the glass and that almost saved us. My answer is play the guys who produce. Luke Meyer gave us a few minutes in the first half and looked great on the offensive end and adequate on the defensive end. He moves without the ball and is not tenative when he has the ball in his hands. Why didn't we see him at all in the 2nd half???? This guy has to play because of his offense. Izik cannot be allowed to leave the floor. If Tom can't score from 2 feet he sits on the bench. Ian gives us more on the offensive end and is a stout rebounder.

On the bright side, Newborne's fear or whatever funk he was in to start the season is wearing off.

Yes 15 turnovers can get you past a bad opponent but not against a decent or good one. You really can't expect too much from the Frosh. They will get time, and have ups and downs and hopefully late in season can help more. SLU is NOT getting anything out of veteran players.

The positive is the hope for increased talent in next few years.

you apparently either have a short memory or havent been following the billikens very long. there have been plenty of billiken teams worst than this team. this team is in the games. and had chances to win all 4. in the ekker days and a few of the grawer and spoon years, we were done within 5 minutes of tipoff.

i wouldnt say "only". we missed plenty of bunnies to go around. the fact that ian and tom were 2-11 is sad. there is your game.

Anyone who thinks we are getting nothing out of the veterans missed Isak's 10 points and 16 rebounds. This is not a team which is going to quit, nor is it a team that will blow many teams outta the place this year.

We have a gutty team that will scrap. Reggie looked a lot more solid on his feet today(hitting for 19 points!), and maybe Tom might be getting more energy with allergy season done so he can regain his touch around the basket. Dwayne is so smooth on the ball that people don't realize how much talent and skill it takes to actually make it look that easy. The loss hurts, but we ARE taking steps for the better.

Quick, name the last Billiken to get sixteen rebounds in a game...hint - it might have come at Tim Duncan's expense. Kudos to Isak, and everyone for their effort.

I couldn't go because of work ... so I listened on the radio. I admit that is where I got the info.

Todays post though said the most rebounds in 10 years ... so that infers it may have been 16.

Maybe I am wrong

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman