The Bills and St. B even..part 2

The Wiz

If this report looks familiar, that's because it is. ...2nd verse same as the first...with hopefully a better outcome.  I have used a lot of the same commentary with a bit of editing because not much has changed ... I guess  it is not plagiarism if you copy your own stuff.  All numbers and data have been updated.  On the report card, the only change was a 1 notch drop on FT%.  If anything the Bonnies have weaken some after the 1st game with drops in offense in FG%, 3P% and Reb. They moved up slightly in Def PPG

Let's see what happened  with C2D

Chance 2 Dance...

The Bills ....58%...down 6 pts

Day.............50%....up 4 pts

No other A-10 teams were 40% or above.

4 Takeaways...

1..We suffered some damage from the loss.

2...We still have the best C2D in the A-10

3...Which in turn means we are still the best team in the A-10

4...We can undo any damage done yesterday (ie  back where we were on Thursday) with a win on Monday.

So now it is St. B part 2. Not a game to be taken lightly. The Bonnies  will be hungry...they are 1 game out on the lost side from making the top 4 spots on the A-10 ladder. And as you  can see they are not listed on C2D. This is a chance in the next  game to become relevant again and  remove the stain of a disappointing season so far.....A win by us and their season is pretty much over.  The point is ...the next  game is their  season ...they will not go down without a fight.

Let's see what we are dealing with on the report card....

...................SLU.....................St B..........................SLU.........................St B

.................................OFF..........................................................DEF.............

PPG...............A........................C-.............................B-............................B-

FG%...............B.......................C.............................B+..............................B-

3P%..............B+......................D+.............................B...............................D+

FT%...............A........................A...............................................................

Reb...............A.........................C.............................B+.............................B-

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP....Off...none....Def.....none

Down....Off...FT%.....Def...none

Top 100 ITN (In The Nation)/ gm

SLU

Assts...Collins... 1st... unch

Stls......Collins....17th....unch

Dou-Dou....Collins...41th...dn

FG%....Okoro....49th...dn

Off Reb...Okoro...78th...dn

FTA/FGA....Linssen...18th...up

Blks...Okora...97th...dn

St B

Blks...Osunniyi...13th...up

Rebs........"..........100th...dn

Off Rebs.."...........36th...dn

FG%........."...........74th..up

Assts...Lofton.....19th ...up

Stls.........."...........42nd...up

Injury/ Illness

Brown (G)...Out for season...Illness...2/1/22

Mellouk (F)...Out indefinitely...undisclosed injury...1/17/22...No timetable for return.

Keys to the game.....

So what's the deal with St. B ?  They were supposed to be great but they are not.  They have a good starting 5  and therein lies the problem...St. B goes 5 deep...whatever they start with ...that's pretty much it...All the starters will have over 30 min ...most will be in the upper 30s.  Wear them down.  If there are any subs who come in for a few minutes ...these are the places to open up a lead.  Matchups...Osunniyi vs Okoro...this is pretty close...add Linssen, edge to SLU.......Yuri vs Lofton...Lofton is good ...Yuri is the best...advantage SLU.   Remember LaS...St. Bon is the same with  better FT shooting and a slightly  better defense. ....We lost the last game because of TOs including 12 steals. I suppose you could say the Bonnies had great D...but their normal numbers are... opponent TOs 12  (we had 18) and normal steals is 5 (we gave up 12 )...Numbers are way out of whack. Protect the ball.

WWN2D2W....Hold the Bonnies to 70 pts or less ...try closer to 60 than 70pts.  Adaway is their 3P guy ...hold him to two  3PA ....St. B slash target...less than 40%/ less than 30%/ less than 15 FTA......Rebs  6+ extra rebs....The Bonnies will have 11 TOs ...we need to match...protect the ball.........Osunniyi 1 blk...Win the matchups (see Keys to the game)

Bottom line...Protect the ball.  If we play the same game we did yesterday (which even without the TOs was so so) and cut the TOs to 11 we win.  If we win Monday ...no damage.. we are back to Thur.... As I have said in many threads this year...we are the best team in the A-10...we can't be beaten...we can only give it away...we gave one away yesterday.  With an even game on the line and us being the better team, it is ours for the taking.    Let's do some  taking instead of giving.

The Season of Giving has come and gone.

In the words of Jock Ewing on Dallas, “Bobby, Power’s not something you get. Power’s something you take!”

Eradicate the pesky Amoebas 🦠, squash the Ants, on their home court in Otterville on Monday. And put a white trimmed in brown uniform on Schmidt. Or just issue him a striped shirt.

Oh, and implement a Zone Offense before Monday’s game.

Ode to Olean.

Team Rankings published its Vegas line. It favors St. Bona to win by 4 pts, with only one star of confidence. The one star of  confidence means the odds are even and anyone can win this game. Again, the stats for both offense and defense are better for SLU.

A couple of things worry me: 1. Jimerson playing with his nose injury, I hope he has good protection and the pain and the protection does not affect his play, which it could well do. 2. Williams back pain and Jones undisclosed injury which may make them both not play.

Well this will be pretty easy to review....This review started almost a week ago when I started talking about turnovers for game 1. ... it continued in the Fri post game analysis and finally on  the game 2 forecast.  And now  1 more time.... .Bolded statement from above.

Protect the ball.  If we play the same game we did yesterday (which even without the TOs was so so) and cut the TOs to 11 we win the game....The good news is we did less than the 18 from game 1...the bad news is we were nowhere near 11. Today's game was 17 TOs   We didn't even need 11 ...1 or 2  less would have given us the win.  Of the 17 TOs,   12 happened in the 1st half...5 in the 2nd half...if you double that 5 to 10  we were on target for game TOs and once that happened we started to comeback.  We can talk about the great shooting or the poor reffing but once they fixed the TOs everything fell into place. Just a couple of more stats...points off TOs...22-1...and FGA... SB had an extra 17 shots...Again, it's all about the TOs.

Hopefully, we can build on the 2nd half of 5 TOs  and fabulous game slash...56/47/94

Bottom line...I will end with the statement  I have used in many threads...We are the best team in the A-10...we can't be beat , we can only give it away.  Our toughest opponent is ourselves.

I will add something to this: When the advantage to the opposing team as the half time is well into the double digits, it is hard for our team to win the game. The probability of a win decreases rapidly with every additional advantage point scored by the opposing team over the double digit level at the half. A 48 to 32 score difference at the half is not absolutely unsurmountable, but it is very hard to win a game when we reach the half down 16 pts.

51 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Well this will be pretty easy to review....This review started almost a week ago when I started talking about turnovers for game 1. ... it continued in the Fri post game analysis and finally on  the game 2 forecast.  And now  1 more time.... .Bolded statement from above.

Protect the ball.  If we play the same game we did yesterday (which even without the TOs was so so) and cut the TOs to 11 we win the game....The good news is we did less than the 18 from game 1...the bad news is we were nowhere near 11. Today's game was 17 TOs   We didn't even need 11 ...1 or 2  less would have given us the win.  Of the 17 TOs,   12 happened in the 1st half...5 in the 2nd half...if you double that 5 to 10  we were on target for game TOs and once that happened we started to comeback.  We can talk about the great shooting or the poor reffing but once they fixed the TOs everything fell into place. Just a couple of more stats...points off TOs...22-1...and FGA... SB had an extra 17 shots...Again, it's all about the TOs.

Hopefully, we can build on the 2nd half of 5 TOs  and fabulous game slash...56/47/94

Bottom line...I will end with the statement  I have used in many threads...We are the best team in the A-10...we can't be beat , we can only give it away.  Our toughest opponent is ourselves.

Bona was the aggressor after SLU took the 25-14 lead in Game 1, carrying into the 48-32 Halftime Bona lead in Game 2. 

23 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I will add something to this: When the advantage to the opposing team as the half time is well into the double digits, it is hard for our team to win the game. The probability of a win decreases rapidly with every additional advantage point scored by the opposing team over the double digit level at the half. A 48 to 32 score difference at the half is not absolutely unsurmountable, but it is very hard to win a game when we reach the half down 16 pts.

Never thought of it like this but good post. I kind of always assumed the opposite 

Bills By 40 likes this

35 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Is this a real post 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Is this a real post 

I know it sounds like something everyone knows. I just wanted to point out the negative effect of a 16 pt advantage upon the probability to win the game after the 1st half. I think Ford has to take more time outs in the first half to change things around, as he does at the half time, before the score differential becomes so big. We did better in the second half and gained significant ground, but it was not enough. 

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

I know it sounds like something everyone knows. I just wanted to point out the negative effect of a 16 pt advantage upon the probability to win the game after the 1st half. I think Ford has to take more time outs in the first half to change things around, as he does at the half time, before the score differential becomes so big. We did better in the second half and gained significant ground, but it was not enough. 

yes yes yes another good post. do you think it would be better if we were, for example, winning instead of losing?

5 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

So, what was meant when the Bonnie’s coined the term ‘Brown Indian’? Honestly, it is shocking that it survived past the ‘aughts. It looks offensive as a handle. Your players should be ashamed to be there, supporting that institution.

St. Bonaventure is a Franciscan school.  Franciscan Friars wear brown.  So the school colors are Brown and White, just like Quincy University, a fellow Franciscan school, 120 miles up River from St. Louis.  The Indian part came from the nearby Seneca Nation.

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

St. Bonaventure is a Franciscan school.  Franciscan Friars wear brown.  So the school colors are Brown and White, just like Quincy University, a fellow Franciscan school, 120 miles up River from St. Louis.  The Indian part came from the nearby Seneca Nation.

Ok. That is definitely not as bad as it sounds without context. Also, I should have used blue font on the last two sentences of my previous post. It was an angry joke, and influenced by the loss.