So what *is* the plan for the arena, anyway?

bonwich

Our good inside source, Billikan, scoffs at DWOOL below when DWOOL suggests that the new arena won't house athletic dept. offices, basketball offices or the ticket office. However, in his report on an early Tip-Off Club meeting last month, THicks said the following:

"She [Cheryl] said the first priority is basketball, but it will be a multipurpose facility. She said that, if SLU had all the money in the world, the facility would include practice facilities (the decision whether to have practice facilities or to simply make sure the teams have ample times allotted for practice hasn't been made). Furthermore, if SLU had more 'all the money in the world,' the facility would include the offices."

And indeed, a quick look around the SLU web site and the arena web site doesn't say a whole lot about offices or practice facilities. (In fairness, it does at least note that there will be a ticket office.) Any hard information would be appreciated -- and the athletic dept. lurkers on this board might want to note the lack of same and start working on a plan to clarify the situation.

I don't really care where the offices/practice facilities are. That may be important to Brad and recruiting but having students and a raucous, loud, homecourt crowd are more imortant to me than anything else. As long as the building is big enough to have a seat for me, say 12,000, I'm happy.

i hate to be the chicken little, but imo unless a billiken "bill laurie" shows up with just an unbelievable donation ($25-30 million would be nice) i just dont know if this thing is going to ever happen at least not anytime soon. it is my opinion that right now is not a good time. father biondi is also trying to build his research center, plus replenish the general endowment after the stock market crash of the early 00's took almost 30% of the value of the fund. third on that extremely tough list is not a good position to be in.

i sure hope we dont compromise our vision of the arena and build a scaled back shoemaker center instead of the improved cintas center. if anyone has been to cincy to see both facilities, they know what i am talking about. as much as i would love an on campus facility, i dont want a glorified high school gym either. do it right or dont do it at all.

The committee that was just formed is hard at work and the new AD and Father Biondi are committed to raise the rest of the money needed. The design is still being worked on by the team but it will include some very nice locker rooms and a really excellent fitness/strength training/sports injurty treatment areas. The arena will have ticket offices and will be terrific for basketball with the design allowing for the upper bowl to be much closer to the floor. The entire design is focused on basketball so it should be a great venue for our fans. It will hold approximately 12k to 13k when completed.

billikan, no disrespect, but we have more or less been hearing the same song now for quite awhile with no new information. when pressed for "how close are we fund raisingwise?" we always seem to hear the same $10-12m number and have always been led to believe we need about 5x that to start. it is nice to hear there is a committee in place, but forgive me and i assume most everyone else, if we arent too excited at this time for what seems to be a slipping dream. if they want to get the area pumped up again, they need to give us a sign. a solid real sign. blind faith only goes so far.

>I don't really think that we need 12,000+ seats though. The

>Cintas is around 10,500, if I'm not mistaken, and that would

>be perfect for us.

WHAT!!??? Have you forgotten that we used to regulary have 12,000+ SEASON TICKET holders?

Going that small would be a mistake in my opinion.

I am disappointed that there are no plans for a pracice court in the building, but there never were. The only thing I remember from the first announcement was that the building MAY have the basketball offices, but not the entire department.

My question is (I have wondered this for a while), it could be due to my lack of good basketball knowledge, but by do we need a seperate Practice Facility, why can't they just use the floor that they would use for games. And then we can roll out temporary hoops if need be.

Steve

I'd rather play in a more intimate building, filled with fans who actually care about the program as opposed to recipients of corporate tickets who have little interest in the game and our team. During Spoon's tenure, we may have had a lot of bodies in the seats, but I wouldn't say that we had a solid base of 12,000+ true "fans."

The reason you need a seperate practice facility is you can use the building for other events. When President Kerry is speaking at SLU you can still practice. When the Volleyball Team has a match you can still practice. When the Beatles have a concert scheduled you can still practice. The Jillikens can use the practice facility when the men are using the main floor. There really is a need for a seperate facility.

West Pine gym should be blown up.First rate programs don't make players move around to different buildings to practice. Our friends in Columbia have a seperate practice facility in the Paige Center instead of walking across the street to Hearnes. If you build it do it right.

willie, you forsee a number of biblical like events in the previous post.

"president kerry speaking?" i can only assume the next president of your rotary chapter is also named kerry, or possibly kerry collins will be there to address the washed up quarterbacks of america convention.

"the beatles in concert?" i guess you could mean ringo and paul individually?

rich, i was the first on this board to champion cheryl levick. however, by now we should have seen her remove the leashes and turn her staff loose. nothing has changed at this point. i attended her signing press conference/luncheon and was tremendously impressed. but like i said, show us something.

steve told me not to comment on cardinal talk on this board.

I don't see the need for another court in the same building. Laurie might have paid for all the hookers and blow needed for the tigers to recruit well but I don't see that need for us to do that either.

I'm not really well travelled to other schools facilities but I can't imagine room for another court in the facilities I've been to. It seems like a waste for a backup court just in case Lennon and Mccartny come back from the dead. (I know Paul isn't dead but someone ought to kill that treehugger.)