Stanford Band

TheBand

Stanford athletic director Ted Leland apologized Monday to Brigham Young University and its fans for a halftime show by the Cardinal band that poked fun at polygamy with five dancers wearing wedding veils.

Leland said he would meet with the band to discuss possible sanctions.

"The actions of the Stanford band in Saturday's game were inappropriate, and I wish to apologize to BYU, their team, fans and alumni," Leland said. "We are committed to being good hosts to our opponents who visit Stanford and anything that doesn't reflect this is regrettable."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n...2028EDT0460.DTL

Given that the average IQ of the members of that band is probably higher than that of any single member of this board, I think "morons" is hyperbolic. Frequently in poor taste, perhaps -- and is "Hey Baby" always in the best of taste? -- but then again, never boring. Sort of like "Saturday Night Live" or "The Daily Show" with tubas. (Anyone remember the formation they used to commemorate the Apollo-Soyuz docking maneuver?)

A brief history is found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Band

i agree with bonwich. maybe crossing the taste barrier, but anything but moronic. i remember seeing the stanford band at one of the ncaa regionals that were in st louis and i was stunned, but entertained. i now smile every time i just see the words "stanford band".

Willie, the tree is a redwood which grows very tall. Palo Alto is Spanish for "tall tree". Get it?

My 2 favorite memories of the many times I've seen the LSJMB is the Big Game of '82 at Cal. It was one of the best games ever, the lead going back and forth the whole time. John Elway's last game and it looked like Cal was finished until the kickoff with a few seconds left and when the gun sounded to end the game both teams ran onto the field from the sidelines, the Stanford band was near the end zone and they ran onto the field too. But Cal was still running the ball downfield and laterelling all over the place! I lost track of where the ball was in all the confusion. The refs huddled for several minutes, we fans were all scratching our heads when the cannon on tightwad hill went off and all hell broke lose in Berkeley. The lesson I learned was NEVER LEAVE EARLY!!

The other memory was the start of a game at Stanford, the band marches out to midfield from the end zone playing their usual great rock and roll. The guy in front ( major or whatever ) is in a Sgt. Pepper get up with a big tall hat and throws the big spear in the ground at the 50 yard line and does a perfect backflip! He pulls his spear out of the field and they march to the opposite end zone. The place went nuts!!

The band is funny at times, but insults other schools in a mean-spirited way, like last week at BYU. The Stanford Band is banned from ND after mocking the Irish Potato Famine and having band members dressed as priests and nuns dance suggestively. The provost at Stanford at the time, Candoleeza Rice, apologized to ND and prohibited the band from its bi-annual trip to ND. Stanford thought it was funny--Irish and the Catholic church don't count as worthy classes of people to those arrogant people. Whether you hate Notre Dame or not, that was out of bounds.

How

>can a tree be a mascot????????

Come now...you've seen that before. The Sycamores, and, in fact, the Buckeyes are famous mascots which are trees. I've always been more troubled by the Crimson Tide--a planktonic ocean infestation! I also wonder if BAMA ever tries to depict it in any way. I have seen Tulane's Green Wave mascot, and it doesn't blow me over.

all mascots pale in comparison to "the billiken". thus a tree, or a wave or a ocean tide would seem silly. the sad fact of mascots, is we have one of if not the best and it isnt taken advantage of in marketing the team.