O.T. Dont you just love aau

Roy, Peoria Manual forward Josh Ivory(#50) is the main instigator in the fight, and the player the ref initially t’d up. Ivory then threw a shoulder shiver into the ref as he walked past him to the bench, knocking the ref to the floor.

Ivory is a junior who should be starting this year, but with him now suspended from the Peoria AAU team, there may be school discipline to follow as well. He was loaned to the Chicago team for the weekend series as Peoria was not playing in any tournament.

it was interesting to note that no coach came to intercept the fracas when the ref was on the floor, turtles, but rather a ref from another court. 

In high school, all coaching staffs and refs turned into pit bulls to seperate fights. I guess that is not bred into aau staffs. I can’t blame the refs here...

www.pjstar.com has a couple of the best videos tha show elements of the rumble, and it is worse than you think.

27 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Ivory is a junior who should be starting this year, but with him now suspended from the Peoria AAU team, there may be school discipline to follow as well. He was loaned to the Chicago team for the weekend series as Peoria was not playing in any tournament.

He should never be allowed to step foot on the Manual court again, for any reason. If Willie Coleman lets him play at all this year, it would set quite a bad precedent for his tenure as head coach there. 

From Ryan Julius's (the AAU coach from the Peoria program - not the program that was involved in this debacle) comments, it sounds like this isn't the first incident of him being a psychopath. 

I wonder how the school is going to justify his suspension from school or the team for an act not school function related in any direct or indirect way.  Unless I am missing something here I am not sure how they can do this.  The way this might work is if he is charged with an assault then they could have a zero tolerance policy that allows them to suspend him from school pending the outcome of the arrest.  If he was not arrested and charged then suspending him may not really be possible for this situation.

30 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Aau allows hundreds of kids a year to go to college for free ... so yeah i love AAU

so you dont think that without aau none of these kids would get basketball scholarships?    i tend to disagree.   they might not be nationally marketed and only get offers from locals but if they are D1 worthy they would get scholarships.  

i hate aau or summer select in all sports, (amazingly i think select soccer and volleyball is worse than basketball and select baseball is coming on strong for most corrupt)  these kids should be kids in the summer and the most they should be doing in the summer sports wise is playing for their local high school summer programs.   it has distorted things to the nth degree.   

doowop, AGB91, thetorch and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I wonder how the school is going to justify his suspension from school or the team for an act not school function related in any direct or indirect way.  Unless I am missing something here I am not sure how they can do this.  The way this might work is if he is charged with an assault then they could have a zero tolerance policy that allows them to suspend him from school pending the outcome of the arrest.  If he was not arrested and charged then suspending him may not really be possible for this situation.

I don't think the school could suspend him, but the basketball team could absolutely tell him he is off the team. That could be as easy as saying "Sorry not good enough" or as complicated as saying "You can sit the bench for a year and earn your spot back" 

6 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I don't think the school could suspend him, but the basketball team could absolutely tell him he is off the team. That could be as easy as saying "Sorry not good enough" or as complicated as saying "You can sit the bench for a year and earn your spot back" 

Since his behavior was not with the school team I am not so sure you would get very far with saying you can stay in school but you are off the team.  Had this been a team practice or team game then I agree.