we're #219

Cowboy

I'm excited for this coming season. This will determine what we are made of, build character, and hopefully make the team hungry in 2017-2018. I sure hope 2017-2018 is a revenge season for us...I want to pay some teams back for the past couple of years. 

I am also optimistic about exceeding our preseason projections (and I'm usually a pessimist). A new mentality can do wonders for a team.

15 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I'm excited for this coming season. This will determine what we are made of, build character, and hopefully make the team hungry in 2017-2018. I sure hope 2017-2018 is a revenge season for us...I want to pay some teams back for the past couple of years. 

I am also optimistic about exceeding our preseason projections (and I'm usually a pessimist). A new mentality can do wonders for a team.

+1

Exceeding preseason projections is doable this year because basically all preseason projections have us at the bottom. We can do better, perhaps much better with relatively little improvement because nothing is expected from us, other than losing. I think we have reasons, whether firm or just hopeful to think some of our players may do better this year, as follows:

Roby: understands the system under Ford a lot better than his understanding of Crews', and reports say he has bought into it.

Johnson: I know he is a freshman and apparently needs to gain body mass, but he is supposedly good and energetic.

Moore: Basically a similar comment, and he is a shooter.

Bishop: Should be fired up being the main point guard, we will see.

Gilmann: Has bulked up considerably from prior pictures.

Wellmer: We have heard a lot of good about him but never seen him play in competition, this may be interesting, needs to bulk up.

I do realize that looking at the factors I have listed above, there is no reason whatsoever than anyone should expect post season play this year. However,  whatever little or significant improvement we may observe in these players may be enough to get us out of rock bottom.

18 hours ago, Bizziken said:

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season and excited about it as well.  I don't think we are going to be very good, but I think we have potential to exceed the very low expectations for a number of reasons:

1. As has been pointed out, having to practice against the transfers should help
  2. I believe that first year coaches usually get a boost in performance from players after a coaching change.  I'm cherry picking an example, but Frank Haith did pretty well getting improved performances out of Mike Anderson's players his first year.
  3. I think that cutting down the rotation (even if it is forced by lack of options) will lead to better results.  Bonus, it will be more fun to watch because we will get ample opportunity to separate the haves from have-nots.  One of the most frustrating things about the last 2 seasons of Crewsball was that his rotations were so large that no one was really given the chance to stand out.  The playing time was maddeningly inconsistent at times.  The best thing about 2011 was getting so much playing time for Jett / McCall.
  4. Potentially malcontents who hurt team chemistry / focus are now gone.
  5. Teams may overlook us since expectations are so low.

49 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season and excited about it as well.  I don't think we are going to be very good, but I think we have potential to exceed the very low expectations for a number of reasons:

1. As has been pointed out, having to practice against the transfers should help
  2. I believe that first year coaches usually get a boost in performance from players after a coach firing.  I'm cherry picking an example, but Frank Haith did pretty well getting improved performances out of Mike Anderson's players his first year.
  3. I think that cutting down the rotation (even if it is forced by lack of options) will lead to better results.  Bonus, it will be more fun to watch because we will get ample opportunity to separate the haves from have-nots.  One of the most frustrating things about the last 2 seasons of Crewsball was that his rotations were so large that no one was really given the chance to stand out.  The playing time was maddeningly inconsistent at times.  The best thing about 2011 was getting so much playing time for Jett / McCall.
  4. Potentially malcontents who hurt team chemistry / focus are now gone.
  5. Teams may overlook us since expectations are so low.

Missouri didn't fire Mike Anderson; he decided to go to Arkansas.  Quin Snyder was the last coach Mizzou fired.

It is a good medical center, and like every other medical center it should be (hopefully is) run fairly independently from the rest of the University, after all they are actually dealing with disease, injury, and saving lives as their primary activity. Good luck at the matching.