Sophomores

Pistol

That's a good point. What does it say when a surprise walk on plays in front of your 6 scholarship guards AND it takes you losing games in historical fashion to figure out that he is better?

Although this is a really small sample and it might have just been a fluke matchup type thing. Davidson is not a defensive powerhouse. They are in the bottom 80 in D in the country.

Could certainly be a fluke, but it's not just Hines. Bishop has now played considerable minutes in 2.5 straight games and has produced. Hell, he was the A-10 ROY last week. So what took so long there?

Nark raised the point and it's one I agree with. Crews has recruited height, but didn't recruit players. I'd much rather have a bunch of 6'0" players who can handle it and put the ball in the basket than some 6'4" guys who look good stepping off the bus. Our best squads included numerous players who didn't fit the profile of top recruits, but were skilled, tough, and hard-working.

It's two games in a row against two very different teams. GM is pretty much the opposite of Davidson's run and gun style, and the result was basically the same. Not sure how many more we'll win, but the rest of the season will at least be fun to watch if this continues.

the real head scratcher for the season imo is reynolds. it is obvious after the last two games that regardless of why, and if it will continue, that hines and bishop are better players. and even if reynolds did improve, in context of comparison, why was so much time and effort taken to make reynolds the player with the minutes instead of hines or bishop?

same with agbeko. even if yarbrough had fullfilled positively the power forward spot, why wasnt agbeko playing a major minutes big across from him? instead we have been trying to make gillmann and even jolly to an extent the other inside player. it should have been agbeko first and foremost from day one this season and f around with yarbrough, gillman, jolly, nuefeld, or none of the above for the other "big". ironically the right anwer now appears to be "none of the above".

if nothing else, fire crews for not using and reading his roster correctly not putting a strategy in game by game that gave us a chance to succeed. instead forcing a square peg in round holes because basketball 101 says to. gotta believe they could at least 2-3 more wins at this point with these few adjustments from day one.

i personally am not buying in yet. i tend to think last night was a surprise all stars converging at one time etc. but i stand committed we need to change our coaching staff. get above 500 and i might change my tune.

btw, while we are all gushing about bishop and hines and agbeko (justifiably) really ash youcoubou is the night champion the more i think about it. you have to believe the book on us regardless was "stop youcoubou, their only athlete, etc" he had a target on his back. yet he has a marvelous game. we have been waiting for that ash youcoubou for 3 years. he was maurice jeffers last night. he was the man. for us to have any success he has to be the goto guy and be a success. last night he was it.

the real head scratcher for the season imo is reynolds. it is obvious after the last two games that regardless of why, and if it will continue, that hines and bishop are better players. and even if reynolds did improve, in context of comparison, why was so much time and effort taken to make reynolds the player with the minutes instead of hines or bishop?

same with agbeko. even if yarbrough had fullfilled positively the power forward spot, why wasnt agbeko playing a major minutes big across from him? instead we have been trying to make gillmann and even jolly to an extent the other inside player. it should have been agbeko first and foremost from day one this season and f around with yarbrough, gillman, jolly, nuefeld, or none of the above for the other "big". ironically the right anwer now appears to be "none of the above".

if nothing else, fire crews for not using and reading his roster correctly not putting a strategy in game by game that gave us a chance to succeed. instead forcing a square peg in round holes because basketball 101 says to. gotta believe they could at least 2-3 more wins at this point with these few adjustments from day one.

i personally am not buying in yet. i tend to think last night was a surprise all stars converging at one time etc. but i stand committed we need to change our coaching staff. get above 500 and i might change my tune.

btw, while we are all gushing about bishop and hines and agbeko (justifiably) really ash youcoubou is the night champion the more i think about it. you have to believe the book on us regardless was "stop youcoubou, their only athlete, etc" he had a target on his back. yet he has a marvelous game. we have been waiting for that ash youcoubou for 3 years. he was maurice jeffers last night. he was the man. for us to have any success he has to be the goto guy and be a success. last night he was it.

Good. Because we're 1 game removed from losing to george mason and duquesne back to back.

Agree. Minus Yacoubou, I'm not sure whether any of the other stuff works. He's been in the thick of all the high flying offense ever since the second half of the Duquesne game. Yarbrough is the only other guy I can see being a potential Ash next year.

Just get Yarborough back on the block and put him into positions where he can do the most damage.

Good. Because we're 1 game removed from losing to george mason and duquesne back to back.

True, but the change occurred at halftime of the Duquense game where we were down 30 and ended up losing by 11. GMU has also been a tough matchup for us for 3 years now. Killed us both times last year and should've beaten us twice in 2014.

The only thing that will save Crews' job is a huge finish down the stretch. And if that's the case, I'd be excited about the team heading into next year. Anything other than that and he's gone.

I wonder if this sudden change in personnel and scrapping his intended offense is him trying to save his job

Could certainly be a fluke, but it's not just Hines. Bishop has now played considerable minutes in 2.5 straight games and has produced. Hell, he was the A-10 ROY last week. So what took so long there?

Nark raised the point and it's one I agree with. Crews has recruited height, but didn't recruit players. I'd much rather have a bunch of 6'0" players who can handle it and put the ball in the basket than some 6'4" guys who look good stepping off the bus. Our best squads included numerous players who didn't fit the profile of top recruits, but were skilled, tough, and hard-working.

+1 RM picked quickness over size with his perimeter players. We routinely ran circles around bigger guards. Temple was really one of the few teams with big guards that seemed to give us a trouble, but it's because those guys were also tough and skilled. JC should have followed the RM recruiting blueprint. I feel like Bishop is one of our few players who RM would have been interested in recruiting - small, quick, combo guard who plays with confidence and has nice court vision. Some of our bigger perimeter players like Bartley and Roby are not quick.

I still worry about Milik's coast to coast turnover waiting to happen, but I agree he'd be a little better in this offense.

I tend to agree, but where would MY fit into what we did last night? We played with one screener, who only set ball screens (Agbeko), two ball handlers (Bishop/Hines), and two shooters/slashers (Crawford/Ash). Does he fill in as the screener or a shooter/slasher? I think he'd do alright as the latter. His shot has improved a ton, and he can drive if our spacing is good, he would just need to be as active as Mike and Ash are. He'd also help on the boards (we gave up 26 second chance points last night), so that could be nice.

Is there anybody on this board arguing that he should be retained?

I want him gone so badly i can't think straight. Even shocking incredible fun wins are hard just because i want Crews gone so badly. Fire that guy. Fire Crews now.