Great A10 Game Last Night (1/05)

Taj79

Between VCU and St. Joe's in Philly. VCU was up three at half when St. Joe's went on a 20 to 4 run to pull ahead by what I thought was a commanding 53 to 42 lead. Isaiah Miles was throwing them in from all over the court on his way to a 31-point night. Then Melvin Johnson took over, raining threes from all over the half court to bring VCU back. From the 13:08 mark to the 5:14 mark, Johnson scored 17 of VCU's total of 20 points. Yet in doing so, he only cut St. Joe's lead to 7. Mo Alie-Cox. by no means an offensive juggernaut, then scored ten straight for VCU in a minute and 41 seconds, with his last bucket giving VCU the lead they never lost down the last 72-second stretch. DeAndre Bemby was amazing as always with 17 points, nine rebounds, eight assists and one flying jam that, with his hair, was Doctor J all over again. Yet VCU won 85 to 82. In all, the Hawks lost it on the foul line going only 17 for 29 with some front ends.

Alie-Cox's ten were downright amazing as well. With four guards in the lineup, St. Joe's had to respect the three so Alie-Cox just posted mid-lane. Miles decided to cover him from behind and rather passively, allowing entry passes that Cox turned into middle-of-the-lane baby Abdul-Jabbar skyhooks. Ten points in 101 seconds. And think about the fact that the Fightin' Martellis ran 60 of those 101 seconds off by controlling the ball. VCU did not employ Hac=A=Shaq methods once.

Many times during the game I looked back at our efforts against KState and Rhode Island and thought "how are we going to negate this level of talent when we face them?" They all looked like grown men (Jonathon Williams of VCU is doing his best James Harden beard impersonation) and our guys look like Austin Gillmann, Brett Jolly and Marcus Bartley.

Can't wait. The Deaux goes on.

Alie-Cox's ten were downright amazing as well. With four guards in the lineup, St. Joe's had to respect the three so Alie-Cox just posted mid-lane. Miles decided to cover him from behind and rather passively, allowing entry passes that Cox turned into middle-of-the-lane baby Abdul-Jabbar skyhooks. Ten points in 101 seconds. And think about the fact that the Fightin' Martellis ran 60 of those 101 seconds off by controlling the ball. VCU did not employ Hac=A=Shaq methods once.

Not that I want to get people's anti-grammar dander up, but I found the sentence highlighted in bold confusing. My guess is that you mean VCU had four guards; is that correct?

With VCU having four guards in the lineup, St. Joe's had to respect the three, so Alie-Cox just posted mid-lane.

No, thicks. With four guards on the floor (Johnson, Burgess, Lewis and Brooks) and all stationed around the three-point line, St. Joe's had to play close enough to guard against the three point shot, meaning Miles had Alie-Cox without double team help. His passive, behind-Mo defense, allowed easy entries to Big Mo and he then just swung left-to-right across the lane for a series of six-foot hooks, layups and short jumpers. While I doubt any denial defense would have explicitly worked (Mo is a horse and Miles is not) it might have added some time to the VCU offense and assisted St. Joe's in running more clock.

But they failed at the line, no doubt.

Game here in the mid-Atlantic was on the ASN network with a Philly Comcast Sports Network feed and was the same outfit that did the Bills/Louisville game from Barclays. I saw some of the RI/Richmond game as well. Hassan Martin was back but nowhere near full strength. TJ Cline was quite impressive for the Spiders. Had something like 26 or 28 last I heard.

No, thicks. With four guards on the floor (Johnson, Burgess, Lewis and Brooks) and all stationed around the three-point line, St. Joe's had to play close enough to guard against the three point shot, meaning Miles had Alie-Cox without double team help. His passive, behind-Mo defense, allowed easy entries to Big Mo and he then just swung left-to-right across the lane for a series of six-foot hooks, layups and short jumpers. While I doubt any denial defense would have explicitly worked (Mo is a horse and Miles is not) it might have added some time to the VCU offense and assisted St. Joe's in running more clock.

But they failed at the line, no doubt.

So you're saying St. Joe's had four guards on the floor and that's why they had to respect the 3-ball?

Martelli has a sweet sixteen and an elite eight on his resume. He has shown the ability to still recruit high level players. He has coached five players that have either been drafted or played in the NBA. He has never finished last in the conference.

Don't try to draw a parallel between the situation with Crews and the situation with Martelli.

Martelli has a sweet sixteen and an elite eight on his resume. He has shown the ability to still recruit high level players. He has coached five players that have either been drafted or played in the NBA. He has never finished last in the conference.

Don't try to draw a parallel between the situation with Crews and the situation with Martelli.

Yes the posters demonstrated their lack of maturity and knowledge by suggesting Martelli was washed up, finished. So they are even more foolish than thought.

Having talked to St. Joe's fans at some length, those fed up with Phil are those who say "sure Phil, you delivered when you had Jameer Nelson and Delonte West but you don't have them anymore. Adapt." They were sold a bill of goods that their facilities weren't good enough to recruit to so they paid and redid Hagan Arena. Now they complain because the renovations at still ugly Hagan Arena caused huge plus ups in their season ticket cost and there is still no real extended success to show for it anyway. Hence, it must be the coach. Ergo, the calls for Phil to go.

Did Majerus do the same thing here? Phil had two great runs as noted plus a stint at the #1 ranking. Majerus gave us two or three years of extended success. Are those lofty achievements skewing reality? Worth thinking about.

Yes the posters demonstrated their lack of maturity and knowledge by suggesting Martelli was washed up, finished. So they are even more foolish than thought.

What are you talking about? What posters? Can you post just once without blaming some unnamed group of posters as a straw man for every one of your inane arguments?

I think most people are surprised at how Martelli has been able to hang on for this long. I thought he had a really talented group a few seasons ago and I'm shocked he wasn't able to accomplish much with them. He seems to just be one of those guys who's an institution; he must have solid relationships with his bosses or the people whose money matters to St. Joe's.