Power 5 passes cost of attendance proposal

HoosierPal

As expected, the P5 passed the proposal to aid student athletes with financial aid. The big question now is, how much. The proposal did not specify amounts.

I am assuming that the A-10, along with the other major, not P5 conferences, will adopt this package. Here is what might happen. SLU offers a full ride, plus a $3000 per year attendance package. (Numbers are being made up.) George Washington offers the same package plus $5000, as it is more expensive to live in DC than in St. Louis. So the athlete basically has a $3K v $5K offer on the table. How many HS juniors and seniors know the concept of 'cost of living index'. How many grab $5K over $3K, simply because it is more?

This will be interesting to follow as it develops.

As expected, the P5 passed the proposal to aid student athletes with financial aid. The big question now is, how much. The proposal did not specify amounts.

I am assuming that the A-10, along with the other major, not P5 conferences, will adopt this package. Here is what might happen. SLU offers a full ride, plus a $3000 per year attendance package. (Numbers are being made up.) George Washington offers the same package plus $5000, as it is more expensive to live in DC than in St. Louis. So the athlete basically has a $3K v $5K offer on the table. How many HS juniors and seniors know the concept of 'cost of living index'. How many grab $5K over $3K, simply because it is more?

This will be interesting to follow as it develops.

The A-10 said it will match any cost of attendance proposals.

Even if they allow different amounts at different schools, I'm not too worried about it as St. Louis is more expensive then nearly any college town.

Wonder if this is across the board for all sports, or just the revenue producers, or just the scholarship athletes? As I understand it at SLU, all of men's BB are not scholarship athletes. Does anyone know what the full scholarship roster is for our sports teams. I'm assuming it's Mens and Women's BB and Men's soccer. But that's just an assumption.

I know at one point in history, soccer had a set number of scholarships that was less than the full squad, of which they could divide up to 1/2 rides, 1/4 rides etc. This was perhaps a decade ago, so I don't know if that is still the case. If it is, then it would be interesting as to how the attendance $$ would be divided up.

Yes kshoe, cost of living is likely higher in STL than Oleans, NY. DC and NY (okay, it's Fordham we're taking about here) would be two possible exceptions.

I know at one point in history, soccer had a set number of scholarships that was less than the full squad, of which they could divide up to 1/2 rides, 1/4 rides etc. This was perhaps a decade ago, so I don't know if that is still the case. If it is, then it would be interesting as to how the attendance $$ would be divided up.

Yes kshoe, cost of living is likely higher in STL than Oleans, NY. DC and NY (okay, it's Fordham we're taking about here) would be two possible exceptions.

More to your screenname, St. Louis has a higher cost of living than Bloomington Indiana. If what you are concerned about came to pass, SLU could offer more cash to a prospect then Indiana. Just saying.

More to your screenname, St. Louis has a higher cost of living than Bloomington Indiana. If what you are concerned about came to pass, SLU could offer more cash to a prospect then Indiana. Just saying.

Could happen! Yes, born and raised in Indy, a fan of IU, but didn't go there. :)

I understand that the cost of living in Lexington KY is expected to skyrocket next year. It could be upwards of $25K to live and attend the U of K.

Have you ever heard of sarcasm? He was pointing out that calipari and uk could twist reality to guarantee larger payments to their players.

Hell, unless there are $ limits on these stipends, Calipari and UK supporters will be offering recruits multi-year contracts that are more lucrative than what they'd get from the NBA.

Hell, unless there are $ limits on these stipends, Calipari and UK supporters will be offering recruits multi-year contracts that are more lucrative than what they'd get from the NBA.

There are $ limits. The ESPN article I read suggested it would be between 2 and 4k. It won't break anybody's bank.

This is the way it is now with all non profit sports. I play college golf and know many who play other sports, and only the most highly touted recruits get full rides

Interesting explanation from Alden on how the partial scholarship sports are to be handled. Missouri is looking at a $3K allowance. (Is that enough for bail?)

The $3,000 annual stipend applies only to athletes in the so-called headcount sports — sports where athletes receive full scholarships, not partial scholarships. At MU, the headcount sports include football, men’s and women’s basketball, gymnastics and women’s volleyball. The other sports — softball, baseball, track and field, etc. — are considered equivalency sports, where each team receives a set number of scholarships and they’re split among the team members at the coaches’ discretion.

In the equivalency sports, an athlete who’s on a 20-percent athletic scholarship can receive up to 20 percent of the cost of attendance figure.

“If that number is $3,000, then that person would be eligible for $600 toward the full cost of attendance,” Alden said.

Here is the A-10's response:

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=209857349

"The athletic directors reconfirmed the Atlantic 10’s commitment to offering of Cost of Attendance scholarships in men’s and women’s basketball. The decision to enact this legislation was a priority for the Atlantic 10 Presidents’ Council, which committed last November to approve cost of attendance scholarships, which were are now allowable following the recent NCAA convention."